Double Cases, Pros And Cons

I'm about to order a double Anglo case, but would like to hear some real-world experiences from users. Are they excessively awkward, or do people find them convenient? An improvement from toting around two separate cases, or a nuisance? Seems like a good idea to me, since I always have two instruments with me, but I've never actually seen one, and I suppose it could be one of those things that sounds good in theory but doesn't work well in practice.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I built myself a double case out of wood. It has been sitting here for months, just waiting for me to glue in the furry lining. I should spend less time on computer bulletin boards. It sure looks like it will be nice to use when (if ever) done.

Ken

Jim: I bought one from John Fallon recently, and am pleased with it. The tolerances allow for a tight fit. It has a shoulder strap that makes it easy to use. It also counts as only once piece of carryon luggage when flying. It has a single lid but two latches. I find it much easier than carrying two cases. Alan

Well, for the last 20 years I have used a glass fibre pipes case to hold three concertinas (G/D, C/G and Bb/F) and it has a strap connected to D rings at each end so I can sling it over my shoulder. The problems with it have become apparent with use; it has lost a little of its rigidity with age and needs an additional strap around it as a "safety net" as the clasps can come undone on their own, also theis means that it no longer rainproof. After all three concertinas is going to weigh more than a set of pipes and everything starts to move after a while.

I bought it from Hobgoblin during a downpour at Sidmouth one year. Whether the case is useful for concertinas depends on how far up the halves of the case have been cut off after extraction from the mould. Another one was not quite deep enough.

Robin Madge

Hi Jim...........please keep this thread active...............I'm thinking of the same and would value the information.

Will do.

After looking at cases, I've settled on a double case built by c.netter Greg Jowaisas, which seems to combine strength with good looks. It seems much more practical than what I've been doing -- dragging two individual cases, one on each shoulder, on Morris tours.

I believe Greg is building his with more interior foam protection than Fallon, which is important to me. And the latches on the Jowaisas look very secure. The fallon has those twist locks like on the notorious IBM cases. I understand they are supposed to be very secure -- but I found that they were easy to accidentally open, at least as implemented on the IBM case.

I have experimented with a high-end soft case with rigid plastic inserts -- the M-Rock Everglade M-Rock Case

It's very light, and with extra foam added, provides tremendous protection against jarring. But the case is not absolutely rigid. I wouldn't put it in an airline overhead, where it could really mashed.

My vintage concertina has a good, well-fitted hard case, which is great, except it doesn't provide much shock protection: getting banged against door frames and the like. And I still have the problem of awkwardly carrying two bags.

So a double case with good foam protection seems to be a good solution-- but I was wondering if I was missing something.

I'm about to order a double Anglo case
I don't own a double case (or an Anglo), but I would worry about "putting all my eggs in one basket". If the case is lost, damaged or stolen, you could lose two concertinas instead of one!
Stand it on end and it doubles up as a seat in a crowded session :)
You can also do this with a case for a large concertina <_<
I've settled on a double case built by c.netter Greg Jowaisas, which seems to combine strength with good looks.
Again, I don't have a double case but Greg did make me a case for a "double" (-reed, i.e. bandonion). Very nice case, and Greg took the time and effort to get it just right.

You have seen my case Jim and now the perfume has reduced I am very pleased with my box.(A picture is on my site if anyone wants to see it.Link on my name)

I have to use bubble wrap between the two concertinas for protection.Touch wood I have not suffered any problems with bits,hairs fluff etc under the reeds.The weight (Which is a big factor) is not great.I have seen some double boxes made from wood and although they are great to sit on I would not like to carry one for long distances.

Whilst writing this I suddenly remembered putting in a bid for a Mr Gladstones Bag and in between sentences have rung up and got it for £25 (Including Auction costs)hammer price £22.Pure leather with original two lock device on ends.

Al

Jim: This is a further note on the Fallon double case and your comments. I do not believe that accidental opening of the latch is possible. In any event, there are two of them, and both have to be opened. I can't conceive of that happening. Re foam inserts: I gave John Fallon the measurements of my concertinas, and he blocked the inside to those measurements. The blocking is secure. The entire case is lined with foam, and I regard it as very good. Alan

After looking at cases, I've settled on a double case built by c.netter Greg Jowaisas, which seems to combine strength with good looks.

Where can one see pictures of Greg's cases?

I have experimented with a high-end soft case with rigid plastic inserts -- the M-Rock Everglade M-Rock Case It's very light, and with extra foam added, provides tremendous protection against jarring. But the case is not absolutely rigid. I wouldn't put it in an airline overhead, where it could really mashed.

Would one of Greg's double cases fit in a plane's overhead bin?

be very very careful! I use an 'Explorer' case (heavy duty plastic with foam inserts,like Peli cases) to hold 2 english concertinas I bought it because it 'fitted' within aircraft carry-on baggage sizes-checked and double checked, even checked that it fitted into the demo frame at the airport. No one told the plane designers about consistency in design :angry: The first plane's overhead bins would not take it when tried and it was only by the good graces of the cabin crew that it was stowed in the section that they used for their luggage. the cabin crew member checked my flight ticket back from Ohio and said that -yes it would fit the overhead bins in that plane. I wrote to the airline complementing their staff and the airline people expressed some pleasure in the fact that the crew had helped me.

The case will double as a seat but is quite heavy in its own right tho. It did serve as a bed side table where we stayed as well :rolleyes:

chris

Foam inserts are not good idea.They are lovely when they are first fitted, exactly right,but over a period of time the foam will disintegrate and become powdery.This is a nightmare for reeds and will require constant hoovering.It is why I use Bubble Wrap it is clean ,protects your concertina against damage and rubbing against the one next to it.

Al

After looking at cases, I've settled on a double case built by c.netter Greg Jowaisas, which seems to combine strength with good looks.

Where can one see pictures of Greg's cases?

I have experimented with a high-end soft case with rigid plastic inserts -- the M-Rock Everglade M-Rock Case It's very light, and with extra foam added, provides tremendous protection against jarring. But the case is not absolutely rigid. I wouldn't put it in an airline overhead, where it could really mashed.

You can see one of Greg's cases on the Carroll Concertina web site (a single one). I have two and I'm very happy with them. On mine, being conservative, I have two catches plus a safety catch. I also have d-rings for strap attachment. I have a Fallon case too and it also is well made. As stated elsewhere the padding is thicker on Greg's case but I suspect all is negotiable.

When I'm carrying two instruments i use a very large, well padded camera bag and it's been all over with me with no ill effects.

Foam inserts are not good idea.They are lovely when they are first fitted, exactly right,but over a period of time the foam will disintegrate and become powdery.This is a nightmare for reeds and will require constant hoovering.It is why I use Bubble Wrap it is clean ,protects your concertina against damage and rubbing against the one next to it.

Al

Hi Al

I may line the 'cut outs' and top face with something dust proof, if it starts to be a problem

thanks for the comments

chris

hi all

a twin concertina is a good idea but take care that the lid fits over a good lip with out this rain etc will get through to the instruments.A good piont is as dave p wrote you can put it on end and sit on it!or for your left leg to support playing a concertina after a long day of morris stands

all the best

cplayer :