Maccann To Chidley Conversion

ocd

Is it possible to turn a Maccann layout into a Chidley by simply moving the reeds around? Or is it more complicated than that?

More complicated.

There's an old thread on just this topic, but I don't have time to search it out right now. I think you should be able to find it, though.

Is it possible to turn a Maccann layout into a Chidley by simply moving the reeds around? Or is it more complicated than that?

More complicated.

There's an old thread on just this topic, but I don't have time to search it out right now. I think you should be able to find it, though.

I'd just practice with the one you've got and stop looking for shortcuts if I were you. Then you'll be able to change instruments simply in the future too. Or swap it for a Crane, they're probably more intuitive but there are fewer about should you want to change horses.

I'd just practice with the one you've got and stop looking for shortcuts if I were you.

I like regularity. The Chidley-variant of the Maccann layout is more regular than the basic Maccann. I admit that regularity might not make me a better player. It is purely a matter of unreasonable taste.

I also like shortcuts and will keep looking for them if you don't mind.

ocd

More complicated.

Thanks for pointing this thread. I think I found it:

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php...ic=1600&hl=

There is a lot of good thinking there. I wonder if anyone has actually done it.

Thanks,

ocd

I have changed systems around for people, although not this particular system change. I would always advocate moving reeds rather than re-tuning. Over tuning reeds weakens them, they sound frail in comparison with other reeds, and when playing loudly you can 'bend' the note, shading it to flat.

Moving reeds is fine as long as the reed frames in any switch are more or less the same size, if not then you are into joinery to fit the shoe to the slot, and even to change the reed pan vent. Finally the chamber end stops may need re-positioning, or the chamber re-stopping. Non of this is difficult from a practical sense, but you need good craft skills and a clear view of what you are about.

I recently change a series of reads round on a £2.5k plus 40k linota, to meet the owners desire for a uniform system accross his range of instruments. It all worked out fine, I had done things like this before, but that first chisel cut hurt me as much as it might have hurt the instrument! The trick is to plan every move, and buy in any 'new' reeds before you start. Remember the 7 'P's

Proper Planning Prevents Panic and P*ss Poor Performance!

Hope I havn't put you off

Dave

Remember the 7 'P's

Proper Planning Prevents Panic and P*ss Poor Performance!

Hope I havn't put you off

Dave

Thank you very much for your reply. I am well warned. I am reasonably handy having played at cabinet making (have a shop full of tools to prove it). But if I attempt this change, I will do it with utmost care. As a minimum, everything should be reversible.

ocd

"Joinery" Dave? Come come,its more akin to cabinet making than joinery.

I think I'll stick with Joinery, but would consider adding 'second fix'. The cabinet making is what I would reserve for fretting and action box veneering. :wacko:

Dave