Wheatstone Memorial Mornington Crescent Game 2007

But have opted for the demi dodge of Kensal Rise. Is this allowed?
It's not for us to say if it is allowed in advance of you playing it. Once you've made the move then we can check the rules for its validity and apply any penalties that arise therefrom.

(But, off the record and since no-one else is reading this, it looks like a very effective, if devious move to me. I certainly wouldn't like to follow it).

Chris

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cascade (Station cascade)

Playing certain stations can initiate a cascade of various sorts. The commonest by far of these cascades is the Parks & Greens (P & G) whereby a station with either "Park" or "Green" in its name initiates the cascade. Note however that such play will not always cause a cascade - it is usually obvious from the L.V. and Becks as to whether a P & G will ensue, but if there is any doubt then the player should declare the P & G rather than leaving it as an implicit result. Some cascades simply run their course - others are terminated by certain specific moves. Garden stations (Island or Kew) will terminate a P & G for example, as will Framilode's bung. Another form of termination is deflection to a different cascade (see those listed below). In a P & G cascade, Green Park naturally counts double.

Some other cascades, with a few example stations for each are listed below :

Regal : King's Cross; Victoria; Royal Victoria; Prince Regent etc.

Holy : St. John's Wood; All Saints; Blackfriars; Temple etc.

Tree : Burnt Oak; Elm Park; Limehouse; Royal Oak etc. (a variant is the Tree & Wood where Woods, Bois etc. are available)

Colourful : Redbridge; Blackfriars; White City & all the Greens etc.

Town : Acton; Canning; Kentish etc.

Aquatic : Crossharbour; Waterloo; Canary Wharf; Surrey Quays etc.

There are of course various others.

Would have thought that Kensal Rise was on the National Rail. Have to call in a judicator for an accessment.

Chas

If you have called termination, with North Woolwich being unplayable without previously claiming P & G ( a schoolboy error) I am forced to call Richmond. Which though on National Rail avoids penalty by being on the other side of the river.

Sorry I didn't explain that I felt North Woolwich was unplayable without claiming P & G because of Silvertown. Please can someone confirm this as I realise I left myself completely open to the Rich cascade. I apologise for this, as I realise I have made the game completely open to any Monarch Gambit.

The regal cascade is tempting, but a deviation beckons, (don't they all). Today the sun, at precisely noon, through the interstice left in the station roof at Gunnersbury by a stray Heinkel's bomb in 1941, fell squarely on the underground map, underlining Hangar Lane. This move interrupts all sequences and is in accord with the precedent set by the one and only Frederick Clagwheel in the championship of 1951, the series often said to be the greatest ever.

This move interrupts all sequences and is in accord with the precedent set by the one and only Frederick Clagwheel in the championship of 1951, the series often said to be the greatest ever.

Yes indeed, and the stuff of family history. My mother was present at the final, and the excitement was such as to precipitate my appearance on the scene. Perhaps this is why I have such an affinity for the noble game.

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

I was going to go with one of the crustaceans, such as Kings or Charing (zoological railway joke, you have to say it).

But no,

'Red sky at night, Shepherds delight,

Red sky at morning, Shepherds warning,

Big roundabout and lots of traffic....

Shepherds Bush'

Chris

Since my employment of the Clagwheel variant I have been inundated with correspondence regarding its correct use. Most of the letters (in this day and age!) have been polite, others rather ordinary. Some have contended the Freddy Clagweel move of '51 is only an adaption of the Oriental gambit of the late 1800s, in itself an evolution of a move designed by a group of Crimean Fusiliers wounded in a famous charge and recuperating in the Battersea Home for Old Soldiers.

It seems after an assessment of the points raised, it is an obligation once the variant has been introduced that one must follow within ten moves with a position which is in a straight line from the first move. My first move was Hanger Lane, and while I am tempted to say Circular Quay, my move in a straight line (metaphorically of course), is Elephant and Castle.

It seems after an assessment of the points raised, it is an obligation once the variant has been introduced that one must follow within ten moves with a position which is in a straight line from the first move. My first move was Hanger Lane, and while I am tempted to say Circular Quay, my move in a straight line (metaphorically of course), is Elephant and Castle.

Nice to see some gentlemenly experts poping up. However, beware.

While one should never allow the base urge to calculate to interfere with the higher arts of the Noble Crescent, history shows that MC and Mathematics are inextricably linked at all levels.

Take, for instance, that most fundamental tenet of all mathematics; Pythagoras' theorem concerning right-angled triangles. Pythagoras, working at this time to a very rudimentary early ruleset, discovered that it was possible to invoke a move which not only crossed a zone boundary but also changed lines, using less LV than the two separate moves would entail. He discovered that the ratios of the LVs x to change zone, y to change line, and z to do both, could be expressed as follows:

x² + y² = z²

In making this discovery, Pythagoras had discovered the earliest and most primitive version of the strile. However this formula is central to any strile, all the way up to the theoretical quintic strile. Later developments also had something to do with triangles, with special cases for straddling from the Circle to the District around Aldgate and Tower Hill. Sadly, most of the original ruleset was lost in the fall of Alexandria, and only the first 37 books of the Greek's bare-bones ruleset were saved from the sacking. Mathematics, and more importantly MC, entered a dark age

Chas