A Moments Contemplation Please !

Trilby

I am bereft ! My (not very expensive and slightly wheezy) concertina was dropped off at a hospital for poorly squeeze boxes last night and I am having to go cold turkey ! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh ! You never miss your water til your well runs dry ! Any quips or consolations ? Even a quiet moment may send soalce through the ether.......

Yours gutted

Trilby

I am bereft ! My (not very expensive and slightly wheezy) concertina was dropped off at a hospital for poorly squeeze boxes last night and I am having to go cold turkey ! Aghhhhhhhhhhhhh ! You never miss your water til your well runs dry ! Any quips or consolations ? Even a quiet moment may send soalce through the ether.......

Yours gutted

Trilby

Do you have any other type of instrument to play? Do you sing?

It's not the same, but it might take your mind off it for a while. Perhaps you can look at / listen to some material which you can work on when your concertina comes out of hospital.

Regards,

Peter.

I have 5 guitars and an accordian but I have to say, since I got my 'tina I have done little with the guitars and didn't get on well with the accordian. But tou are right. I shall get out my dobro and wail those @tina blues........... woke up this morning....... found my 'tina gone........

Yours gutted

Trilby

Have you tried sex.... Its nearly as good :lol:

Dave

Regal........... Big respect. I have to say getting a dobro a few years ago was an ear opener. For the first time I heard the sound in my head ( if that makes sense) and the second was an english concertina. I was pleased, on both occasions yet frustrated it had taken so many years to find a sound / instrument that I could really feel.

Am worried about noise.............. 'tina much quieter ! Though the tunes last longer !!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe you could upgrade to better sound insulation, then you can have the choice without having to worry about the neighbours. :D

Regards,

Peter.

Any quips or consolations ? Even a quiet moment may send soalce through the ether.......

Yours gutted

Trilby

My doctor recently told me to stay away from my concertinas for a time. Seems the pain I’d developed in my shoulder was directly related to my spending too many hours (typically three or more) a day playing Irish music. The pain had been getting steadily worse for several weeks, and was to the point where I was finding it difficult to sleep. Oddly, it never occurred to me that playing the concertina could be the cause, it seemed such a benign activity.

The doctor introduced me to the word “bursitis” and a combination of anti-inflammatory drugs and physical therapy was prescribed, as well as complete avoidance of the activity that caused the problem. Knowing more than my doctor, I snuck in 15 minutes of playing a few days later and it took me three days to recover to the point I’d been at prior to that 15 minute session. Now I’m inclined to take the advice more seriously, and anticipate complete abstinence for a few weeks at least.

I found it quite frustrating at first, but I have found a substitute activity that I suspect might be quite beneficial for me. Instead of playing, I’m now spending time listening quite closely to my collection of concertina CDs. I pick individual tracks and play them repeatedly as I think about what I'm hearing, and in doing so I’m finding subtle details I’d overlooked previously. Until now, I’d typically listen to a track a few times and play along with it to pick up the basic tune and then play on my own from there. While that was good for learning new tunes, I wasn’t picking up the details of the various playing styles.

While I still feed a strong urge/need to pick up a concertina and play, this substitute activity is keeping tunes fresh in my mind and I’m getting a fair amount of satisfaction from it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure you have all been fretting about my state of mind but I received my concertina back today on the way home from the coldest footie match in a long time. I was, as you can imagine very pleased. The chap who did the work said if only I had started playing a few years ago he could have sorted me out with a Wheatstone or Lachenal no problem. He used to mix quite a lot with the free reed crowd and sold instruments through a local music shop and through his contacts. He said he sold the last one for £160 just before retired about 10 years ago. I hope he was exaggerating but it made me feel pretty down picking up my Gremlin which was more than that !

Still a squeeze is a squeeze and I am back to playing ways !