Whitby Folk Week

AnnC

I E-mailed enquiries@whitbyfolk asking about camping facilities, particularly for motor-homes (do you have to reserve, is it within walking distance, etc?)

So far they've ignored me.

They have a new website, new email, latest details of invited guests and a phone number on now, so you can now speak to a human answering machine!

See you all @ Bradfield

This will be the first year in over 25 years that I will not be there!

My family has now rebelled, so we are leaving Yorkshire for foriegn parts, WALES...

Anyone going to Wales at the end of August???? ???? ?

Well that should free you up to go to Bradfield Dave :D

Pete

All they need is your wallet Dave... you could walk to Bradfield from your place :lol:

Dave

But She who MUST be Obeyed (because she said so) has booked the same two weeks for our holiday as usual, so I get to miss out on both, yet again.

Dave

:D Here is the Press release the new organisers have sent out giving a taster of people and groups expected ...........

Press Release – 13 December 2006

Whitby Folk Week

18th - 24th August 2007

'business as usual'

2007 is a transitional year for the ever-popular Whitby Folk Week as a new team takes the helm following the retirement of Malcolm Storey. During 25 successful years in charge Malcolm developed the festival into one of the country's foremost folk events with a firm emphasis on the traditional music of the British Isles and associated cultures.

The new, enthusiastic and experienced team, dedicated to continuing the festival's unique ethos, comprises John Howson as artistic director and Barry Evans as social dance director. Finance director, Chris Stephenson, works alongside treasurer Ann Clancy with Val Marsden in charge of ticket sales and Kate Atkinson managing artists' accommodation. Martin Bull is marketing director and the team is co-ordinated by Graham Pirt. The team is assisted by many other Whitby devotees.

Great news is that Eliza Carthy has agreed to be Whitby Folk Week's patron and she's indicated that she wants to have a really hands-on involvement with the festival.

Plans for the next year's event are well advanced and the initial guest list includes festival stalwarts Sara Grey & Kieron Means, Ed Rennie, Dan Quinn & Will Duke, Johnny Handle, Sheila Stewart, Bob Lewis, Devil's Interval, Peta Webb & Ken Hall, Alistair Anderson, Craig, Morgan & Robson and John Kirkpatrick.

Returning and new guests include John Spiers & Jon Boden, The Four Star Trio (from Cork), Mark Bazeley, Jason Rice & Rob Murch, Louis Killen with Mike Waterson, Simon Ritchie, Brian Peters and Tom McConville, Claire Mann & Aaron Jones.

Dance bands and teams include 422, Peeping Tom, Bursledon Village Band, Steamchicken, Shropshire Bedlams & Martha Rhodens Tuppeny Dish, Instep, Chinewrde North West Morris, North British Sword and Thrales Rapper.

This, of course, is just the tip of the iceberg and many more guests, old and new, will be added to the line-up in the coming months. Watch this space!

Contact details for Whitby Folk Week 2007

General Enquiries: Whitby Folk Week, PO Box 44, Selby, YO8 9YP

Ticket Sales: Whitby Folk Week, PO Box 137, Queensbury, Bradford, BD13 1WS

Email: enquiries@whitbyfolk.co.uk

Telephone: 01757 608600

www.whitbyfolkweek.co.uk

Sounds fun :D

All this and a chance to try your Dipper. I am hoping for a safe delivery and a sound sleeper !

:D If you can get to Whitby for the 'Moor & Coast' do in May you can have a go before the bouncing bundle arrives to take over your spare time. :D

Whitby - the place and the Folk Week - both splendid. I'm sure the new management team will do a great job. They were very active last year, consulting people, planning, determined to carry the best aspects of the festival forward, but also to have some new strategies, including attracting more young people. Great news that Eliza Carthy has agreed to be Patron.

gentians

:D A comfy ( and child friendly) place to gather would be the 'Shambles Bar' on the East side market. It has lots of real ale as well as tea and coffee, or perhaps the Tap & Spile (soon to go back to it's old name of 'The Station' ) which is now under new management and has been thoroughly scrubbed and re-painted. Both places welcome musicians and morrismen during Folk week.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm seriously wondering whether to give up on Whitby, much as I would like to come again after a 20-year absence. I can't really commit myself to coming from S.W.France with a motor-home and bringing 2 French people with their m-h without some sort of guarantee as to camping facilities, etc.

The telephone number quoted above leads to an answering machine which gives you about 20 seconds to gabble your message before it cuts you off. This doesn't really matter because they don't get back to you anyway. I've tried several times.

The E-mail address gives the same result. I've sent several. They don't reply.

I shall be disappointed not to come. I hope the organisation is better on the day for those who do.

I think they (the new organisers) are having a few teething problems which is a shame and no consolation to you if you want information and you are trying to plan. For the first time in about 25 years my parents didn't recieve a christmas newsletter/artist update from the festival - this is a big deal for my parents as they are not computer or internet savvy. I've also heard from a friend who is a regular artist that he has not been contacted yet about his availability - and he has been each year for the past 15 - he thinks that they may have budget/venue issues this year. It has been getting harder for Whitby festival to keep venues, they keep getting knocked down and turned into holiday flats/accomodation.

Maybe it's a transtion year, maybe these issues will be sorted in a few weeks?

Peter, thanks for your reply and I sympathise with your parents. As someone who was a faithful Whitby festival-goer for 17 or 18 years, mostly just another punter buying his ticket, occasionally with Handsworth, I have to admit that I feel somewhat let down, as I'm sure they do.

There will surely be enough people going to the festival for it not to make the slightest difference to the organisers, but it's a pity. I have many happy memories of Whitby festival and they haven't been tarnished by the new organisers' lack of communication but, so far, they haven't done themselves any favours.

Yes Peter, to all three. I last saw Pat on Boxing-day-before-last (I think!) at Handsworth when as a very 'ex' member they let me play for the dance. I hope to see them again at Bradfield in the summer.

I joined Handsworth in 1967 or '68 (can't remember) in Harry Pitts's heyday (Harry and I were the only ones who lived in Handsworth) and danced with them until I moved to France in '87. Fond memories of singing in the Cross Keys after the dance on boxing day with Father Ken (who sometimes let me play William's concertina!)

• 1 month later...
. Fond memories of singing in the Cross Keys after the dance on boxing day with Father Ken (who sometimes let me play William's concertina!)

:D I've an old LP record of William Kimber playing concertina, mainly Morris tunes. Fascinating to listen to as is the LP of Scan Tester's I found in a second hand shop:D