Whitby Folk Week

AnnC

:D I Know it's early in the year to be asking but will anyone be going to Whitby Folk week this coming August? We could all meet up for a pot of tea ( or pint of something stronger ) and a session if there are a few of us about :D

I haven't been to Whitby Festival for about 20 years. I went every year for about 15 years before that. I'd like to go this year so I E-mailed enquiries@whitbyfolk asking about camping facilities, particularly for motor-homes (do you have to reserve, is it within walking distance, etc?)

So far they've ignored me.

I haven't been to Whitby Festival for about 20 years. I went every year for about 15 years before that. I'd like to go this year so I E-mailed enquiries@whitbyfolk asking about camping facilities, particularly for motor-homes (do you have to reserve, is it within walking distance, etc?)

So far they've ignored me.

I suspect the new management is finding the organisational load heavy in this, the first year since they took over from the long-established set-up, and right now they are probably concerned with getting the basics in place before dealing with individual e-mails. I'm sure it will all come together, so bear with them for a bit longer. I will be there, so say hello if you do make it over.

Brian

If the campsite is in the same place as the last few years it is at a school about 15* minutes walk from the main evening venues**. The site is fairy flat with hard standing (a school playground) and an area of grass. There have been fairly good temporary loos and showers in place as well. I am pretty sure that camping is limited to week season ticket holders though.

*This time is subject to variation in relation to the amount of alcohol consumed........

**Venues change each year but I am thinking about the rugby club, football club, spa ballroom, metropole ballroom etc.

Thanks Peter. That makes things a bit clearer, although the season ticket might be a problem. I'd happily come for the whole week but I don't know if the French contingent will stand for it.

By the way, I'm an exiled Sheffielder too, but permanently!

I'd happily come for the whole week but I don't know if the French contingent will stand for it.

A week in England's most characterful seaside resort? Dracula? Goths? Fossils? Pubs? Walks along the cliffs? Never mind the folk music, how could anyone of any nationality not want to spend a week there??

Brian

I'd happily come for the whole week but I don't know if the French contingent will stand for it.

A week in England's most characterful seaside resort? Dracula? Goths? Fossils? Pubs? Walks along the cliffs? Never mind the folk music, how could anyone of any nationality not want to spend a week there??

Brian

And don't forget the gastronomic delights, all those wonderful fish & chips, and fresh crab.

I had got whitby in mind for a possible first "public outing" as I will have been learning for a year but my dearly beloved will have hopefully be about to safely deliver the reason I have had to abandon all hope of a decent 'tina for years to come ! Ah well life is all ying and yang.

I had got whitby in mind for a possible first "public outing" as I will have been learning for a year but my dearly beloved will have hopefully be about to safely deliver the reason I have had to abandon all hope of a decent 'tina for years to come ! Ah well life is all ying and yang.

As far as I see it there is no contest! You get everything ready, bottle feed (unless he/she is on draught) change the nappy, burp, jump in the car and drive hell for leather to Whitby. You then spend a couple of hours in one of the superb sessions before hairing back to Scarborough ready for the next feed and change assuming something like a 4 hour cycle. After all you have to get your priorities right. :P

As to getting a decent 'tina, well you have to start making worthwhile investments for the baby's future and a concertina is hard to beat on that count B)

See you there if the boss will let me :ph34r:

Pete

:D I Know it's early in the year to be asking but will anyone be going to Whitby Folk week this coming August? We could all meet up for a pot of tea ( or pint of something stronger ) and a session if there are a few of us about :D

I'll be at Whitby in a professional capacity on double bass but with concertinas for sessions and workshops.

A pint of something stronger certainly appeals.

Howard Mitchell

www.stradivarious.co.uk

:D Hoorah! Lots of us in one place. As soon as a programme is available I'll post the concertina related items. If the camp sites are the same as last year (Rugby Club and Stakesby School ) they're on the same circular bus route and I'll get the timetable posted too to help planning.

As an incentive to visiting ( arrival of baby permiting ) you can have a go on my Dipper :D

This will be the first year in over 25 years that I will not be there!

My family has now rebelled, so we are leaving Yorkshire for foriegn parts, WALES...

Anyone going to Wales at the end of August???? ???? ?

My family has now rebelled, so we are leaving Yorkshire for foriegn parts, WALES...

Well that should free you up to go to Bradfield Dave :D

Pete

Well that should free you up to go to Bradfield Dave :D

Pete

All they need is your wallet Dave... you could walk to Bradfield from your place :lol:

Dave

Edited by Dave Prebble