What Type Of Action Does My Aeola Have?

I am currently advertising my Aeola (Model 17, 48 keys, Reg. No. 34801, 1937) on the buy & sell forum and someone has asked me what type of action it has, hook type of rivet type.

I have absolutely no idea, so I took one of the ends off but could not work out how to get at the mechanism. At that point, I got nervous and put it back together again!

Can someone help with this question please?

While my two of my Wheatstones (dating from about 1850) have hook actions, all more recent Wheatstones I've heard of have riveted action and I'd be very surprized if an aeola from the 1930's were not riveted. Hook action would be much more likely in a Lachenal.

Here is a picture of a mini Wheatstone's from the 1950s with "bent over action". My understanding is that Wheatstone began using this type around 1934. My Edeo/anglo #33301 has this type of action. I'm sure exceptions exist but I have the impression that most models after 33301 (or perhaps slightly before?) have the bent over action. How about a tally from cnet members with Wheatstone instruments from #32000 on?

I'll add that my experience with half a dozen Wheatstones with this kind of action has found that it is reasonably smooth and I have not experienced or heard about issues of wear as Dave Elliott has noted with the Edeophones' Lachenal hook and lever.

Early Wheatstones made by Lachenal had a hook and lever action. I'll let the historians wade in on this one

but I think it was during Rock Chidley's tenure that Wheatstone went to a riveted action. Perhaps around 1870? Thereafter Wheatstone was noted for their smooth riveted action until the 1930s change to the bent over mechanism.

I believe many would recommend or prefer rivet action over the H & L or bent over kind but I've been cautioned by seasoned hands and accept their advice of never rejecting a good sounding and playing box over a technical question of the action mechanism.

Regards,

Greg

I am currently advertising my Aeola (Model 17, 48 keys, Reg. No. 34801, 1937) on the buy & sell forum and someone has asked me what type of action it has, hook type of rivet type.

I have absolutely no idea, so I took one of the ends off but could not work out how to get at the mechanism. At that point, I got nervous and put it back together again!

Can someone help with this question please?

You'd have to get into the action box, which involves finding a small screw and removing it (after removing the end as you already have done). But you might be able to answer the question by looking through the fretwork, perhaps with a flashlight.

• 1 month later...

My Aeola #36319 (mid/late 50's??) *had* hook action. I always felt it was a bit sluggish compared to a previous instrument I owned with rivets, as well as compared to a friends 1910ish box with rivetted action.

I had the Concertina Connection install their rivetted action and couldn't be more pleased with the results.