Northeast Concertina Workshop 2007

Things are coming together for this next Northeast Concertina Workshop which will be held on Saturday April 14 in Sunderland, Massachusetts. We now have all our staff on board so've just posted a "place holder" page here while we get photos, bios, and workshop descriptions together. The lineup this year is:

Richard Carlin.....English

Paul Groff...........Irish & American anglo

Jeff Jacobs..........Hayden duet

Richard Morse.....Hayden duet

Brian Peters........English-style anglo

Bob Snope..........English

Chris Stevens.....Irish-style anglo

Ken Sweeney......Irish-style English

Many may note that we've moved the event yet again this year - this time to the Sunderland Elementary School which has the benefits of being able to accomodate just about any "growth" we can imagine, enables us to have catered chow on the premises (more time for socializing and jamming), and nice that it's only a short walk from the Button Box store.

As last year well have a meet-and-great (munchies and music) at the Button Box Friday evening, workshops and concert on Saturday and hang-out session on Sunday morning. Check back to our NCW page in a few weeks to get more info. I hope to see many of you there!

-- Rich --

:D I read the 'North East ' and 'Sunderland' and thought ....Whoopee!! Something within striking distance .... then re-read and saw 'Massachusetts '. Oh the disapointment :( I'll just have to read all the reports on this site while going green with envy. Have fun, it sounds like a lovely do.

• 2 weeks later...
Is There any more news on this? Specifically prices, Lodging, schedule? Will it go late on Saturday night? What time might it start on Saturday morn? Are there any reviews or schedules from last year?
I'm only a few days away from posting all this - but here's the quick scoop:

Friday evening there's an open house at the Button Box for socializing, jamming, checking out our concertina production....

Saturday the event proper starts at 9am and goes to about 5:30. The concert starts at 7:30 and will go to about 10 when we'll all head out to some pub for the usuals.

The workshops and concert is $95 (pre-paid price). This does NOT include meals (though there is an option of having lunch catered in this year for $12), or the shenanigans after the concert, or lodging. On the upcoming webpage I've got a short list of some area places to stay.

The description of last year's workshop is here on the registration form. No times indicated (we send them to you with more info when you sign up) though there's a meet/greet first thing, then a 2-hour morning class, lunch break, two 1 1/2-hour long afternoon classes and a wrap-up session before everyone heads out for dinner.

I think it'd be a great idea to a have review of this event each year like we try to do with NESI. I can provide a camera, webspace and assistance, but need someone to do the write-up. Any takers?

-- Rich --

• 2 weeks later...

We've finally gotten things complete enough to post the page for the NCW event even though there's still one Irish anglo teacher yet to confirm. It's pretty much the same as last year's (described above) though at a new location - at the Sunderland Elementary School, just a few minutes walk from the Button Box store. What's so great about this is that we'll have the entire school to ourselves.... Lots of space for our classes, between class sessions, lunch (yes - on premises this time which gives us extra time to socialize), and easy to duck out to the BBox for whatever wares anyone may want.

I look forward to seeing many of you there!

-- Rich --

Hello, it's me! I've been lurking for awhile and not commenting much (like the little boy who didn't speak a word until he was 3; when asked why, he replied, "I didn't have anything to say!")

I'm about to fill out my NE Concertina Workshop registration, and I'm wondering whether folks are availing themselves of the catered lunch. It's mighty tempting- I remember a bit of a rush to get a bite last time, and returning after the afternoon workshops had started.

So I think I'm going for the catered option- anyone else?

So I think I'm going for the catered option- anyone else?
I sent my registration in the other day and indicated I wanted the lunch as well, so if nobody else goes for it, at least we'll each have company.

As I remember, the form had no obvious way to indicate that you wanted lunch. If you send a check it would be obvious from the total, but if you enter a credit card number there's no way for the BB to know how much to charge your card unless you scribble it into the margin.

Good point David. I'll adjust the form tomorrow.

And - all the BBox staff (and I'm pretty sure all the teaching staff) are partaking of the catered lunch. I'm looking forward to just staying in one place and being leisurely about the time between classes.

-- Rich --

• 2 weeks later...

NCW Update

We've finally are able to replace our second Irish staff who was previously listed as "TBA" with Frank Ferrel. Due to his workshop classes, our schedule has been shifted around a bit... and we have revised our workshop registration page to reflect things.

For those who have already signed on and would like to make some class choice changes, please contact us at squeeze@buttonbox.com. We're also in the process of sending out the reservation confirmations with notice of the update as well.

We've gotten a very good response already and expect most of the classes to fill this year. I look forward to a great weekend with you guys (and ladies...)!

-- Rich --

And - all the BBox staff (and I'm pretty sure all the teaching staff) are partaking of the catered lunch. I'm looking forward to just staying in one place and being leisurely about the time between classes.

-- Rich --

And I am SO bummed out about my previous msuical commitment that keps me from atending this year. Everything promises to be even better, and I have to miss!

All I can do is keep on practicing ...

BTW Rich, show people who come to the B.Box shop the copies Susan Conger's "Along the River" collection. It's got some really fine tunes in it. I work out of it as much as I do the Matthiesen Waltz books and Jody's book. --Mike K.

• 4 weeks later...