Bastari 40-key G/d Anglo

AlexCJones

$500 (U.S. Dollars)

A few months ago a bought a nice used Bastari 40-key G/D Anglo. As you would expect, the drone key and the middle row are a perfect 4th lower than on the standard C/G 40-key Anglo layout which is great. But then, there are a few buttons in the other rows with which the Bastari folks took a few liberties. (See attached key layout diagram)

I would have these corrected, but the buttons are too far apart for my style of playing. On my C/G Tedrow-Modified-Stagi Anglo, I often press multiple buttons with one finger in order to make chords. I thought with 40-button, I'd be able to do this even better, but the Bastariacs put the keys so far apart, that I can't do that. What a tease!

Other than that, the only other problem is that the left-hand side grill has some oxidation.

It is in tune, belows in good condition, and (for most chords, or for Irish style) it plays well. I'll post a reply with a photo attached.

- A. C. Jones

post-5-1072757010.gif

Edited by AlexCJones

...the buttons are too far apart for my style of playing. On my C/G Tedrow-Modified-Stagi Anglo, I often press multiple buttons with one finger in order to make chords. I thought with 40-button, I'd be able to do this even better, but the Bastariacs put the keys so far apart, that I can't do that.

This is not just a problem with modern Italian concertinas. Interestingly enough I also have the same problem with my Jeffries anglos. My 31 bone button C Jeffries allows me to do as you do, but my 38 key, no chance.

With the Jeffries though it is not so much the button spacings, but the difference in button size. Is that a contributing factor on the Bastardi, or are the buttons the same?

Regards

Malcolm

With the Jeffries though it is not so much the button spacings, but the difference in button size. Is that a contributing factor on the Bastardi, or are the buttons the same?

"Bastardi"? :lol: (Now it will be difficult for me to call it anything else)

Okay yes, the smaller button size and the shorter button height (distance of button top to concertina surface) are both major contributing factors to the problem.

I am glad you warned me about the Jeffries.