Salvation Army Concertina Bands

malcolm clapp

This seems like the perfect place to ask about one of my instruments. I have recently joined Concertina Net, and I have contributed some music. My main instrument is a 48key Wheatstone Treble EC, which coincidentally was born (Christened?) on February 14, 1929.

My other instrument is the one I’d like some information about. It’s a Lachenal Edeophone 48key Treble EC. It has its serial number on the left end on a metal inlay, 59798. It also has a number stamped in gold on both ends of the bellows (one poorly done and blurred). When I bought the instrument I was told this was a Salvation Army serial number. There’s an upper case R, a raised D with a small dot beneath it, then the number 129862. Can anyone on this forum offer any insight?

Thanks in advance!

4 minutes ago, Greg Mirken said:

This seems like the perfect place to ask about one of my instruments. I have recently joined Concertina Net, and I have contributed some music. My main instrument is a 48key Wheatstone Treble EC, which coincidentally was born (Christened?) on February 14, 1929.

My other instrument is the one I’d like some information about. It’s a Lachenal Edeophone 48key Treble EC. It has its serial number on the left end on a metal inlay, 59798. It also has a number stamped in gold on both ends of the bellows (one poorly done and blurred). When I bought the instrument I was told this was a Salvation Army serial number. There’s an upper case R, a raised D with a small dot beneath it, then the number 129862. Can anyone on this forum offer any insight?

Thanks in advance!

I've seen that number before - I believe it's a registered design number relating to the bellows, and nothing to do with the SA.

Edited by SteveS

• 3 months later...

I have a 1933 Wheatstone EC with 36 buttons. It is my understanding that it is a SA band instrument. The interesting part is that the reeds are stamped a whole step lower than the actual note. This makes the reed larger than usual and therefore has greater volume. It is a great player, so easy it almost plays itself.