South Yorkshire Christmas

As usual the residents of the village (Oughtibridge) gathered around the Christmas Tree on the Village Green to sing carols to the music of the Oughtibridge Brass Band, after which the Chapel Choir walked round the village to sing the local carols to some of the community's elderly, and the infirm, the old people's home, and outside quite a number of private houses. As usual we ended up at one house where we got hot pork sandwiches and warming beverages???.... I provided starting notes (and sang Bass), or playing support on my Rock Chidley. Finishing around 2:00am!

This tradition goes back to around 1850 and many of the carols are written locally. Attached is a concertina arrangement in two parts of Mount Moriah, a little present from us to you.

Dave

Dave, it looks like we are madly downloading your pdf (51, at the time of this post). Thanks!

I'm a transponder and not familiar with this song. I've been trying to figure out how it scans, and thanks to the Village Carols site (http://www.villagecarols.org.uk/Words/gtgtas.html) found that the 2nd and 4th lines of each verse repeat (the 2nd is sung twice, the 4th is sung 3 times). That helped a lot!

Two questions:

- In the final five measures (before "SYM"), I assume that (for the first verse) the two syllables "Jesus" fall on the two half notes. How do the rest of the words fit in? "is" in the following measure; and "is" repeated, making the last three notes fall on "is the King"?

- What is the function of the "SYM" section?

~ Becky, in Tucson, Arizona

What is the function of the "SYM" section?

These carols traditionally have a Symphony section, to play in-between each verse.

I like to think of the carols as being from the days of gallery choirs and church bands, then when new-fangled barrel organs and the like appeared, the choir and orchestra were kicked out so they decamped to the pub and stopped there.

Dave, it looks like we are madly downloading your pdf (51, at the time of this post). Thanks!

I'm a transponder and not familiar with this song. I've been trying to figure out how it scans, and thanks to the Village Carols site (http://www.villagecarols.org.uk/Words/gtgtas.html) found that the 2nd and 4th lines of each verse repeat (the 2nd is sung twice, the 4th is sung 3 times). That helped a lot!

Two questions:

- In the final five measures (before "SYM"), I assume that (for the first verse) the two syllables "Jesus" fall on the two half notes. How do the rest of the words fit in? "is" in the following measure; and "is" repeated, making the last three notes fall on "is the King"?

- What is the function of the "SYM" section?

~ Becky, in Tucson, Arizona

Becky,

I am not sure what you mean by ' Transponder' in this context. As an Engineer the word has a specific technical meaning, and I am at a loss to follow your meaning.

my little gift of the local carol appars to have been well appreciated with over 70 down loads now.

Geoff is Wright (sory right) the SYM is a symphony, an instrumental link between verses. A hang over from the quires (not choirs as we know them) where the village band played for worship in the west gallery of the church. Do a google on the 'west gallery music association' in the UK. West gallery music has a parallel path to the American shape note movement.

Often there is symbol of two parallel line and two dots beside a point in a stave which de-notes a repeat of a line of lyrics, but I never thought to put it in on this score, sorry.

My pdf writer software has decided to mess up, otherwise I would re-post it for you with lyric repeats marked.

So:

Following the melody line: There are several repeat sections, 'Good tiding, lo, I bring' is repeated 1st system, 6th bar D quaver to D minim. The last line of Lyrics forms an other chorus line. starting A quaver 2nd system bar 5 to dotted G crotchet in bar 7, The last two lines of Lyrics are then repeated from the to the start of the symphony. To help a little bit more: the Bto C semi quavers cover the word 'In'; D minim covers 'Davids City'; and the 'lies a babe' is covered by the C minim.

If I can get my pdf writer working again, does anyone want another local carol?

Dave

Well, I was looking at the music lying here in the mess of my desktop and I thought, "I never got an answer to that question!" Then I realized, "I never checked to see if the question was answered!" Thanks for the replies and further details.

After my post I did guess that the extra music must be an instrumental interlude. (I sing shape note music and am at least acquainted with west gallery music.)

re: "transponder" -- it might have been less confusing if I'd written "trans-Pond-er", meaning in the US, rather than UK. ;-)

And, another "yes, please" on the carol transcriptions. I hope next year to get some folks together for something different (for our area) in seasonal song.

Rhomylly, I occasional call contras in Albuquerque...

~ Becky