A Little Story For The Season

Dan Worrall

Longtime Forum readers will remember the interchanges about the wonderful interview done in 1856 with a young boy who made his living playing an early German concertina for pennies on the the Ferryboats on the Thames....I think it was published in Allan Atlas' PICA volume 1. Well, here is a second such story, this time taking place on the Mersey River ferry boats, and is found in the (New England) Farmer's Cabinet of Sept. 20 1861, only a few years after the Thames interview. This is more of a tear-jerker morality story rather than an interview...and more than a little maudlin. Nonetheless, I thought some of you concertina history buffs might find it interesting. Merry Christmas to all!

The Farmer’s Cabinet, Sept 20 1861.

Wings, Some Day.

Passengers on board one of the many ferryboats that are constantly plying between the opposite shores of the Mersey, may occasionally see, on warm, bright days, a poor crippled boy, whose body has grown to almost a man’s size, but whose limbs, withered and helpless, are still those of a child.

He wheels himself about on a small carriage, similar to that the boys use in play; and while the little boat threads its way among the ships of all nations that are anchored in the river, he adds not a little to the pleasure of the sail, by playing on his “Concertina,” airs that show no mean degree of musical skill. The few pennies that he always receives, but does not ask for, are never grudgingly bestowed, and are given not more in pay for the music, than for the simple honesty which shines in the boy’s blue eyes.

One so helpless, it would seem, could only be a burden to those who loved him- could certainly do nothing toward fulfilling the command- “Bear ye one another’s burdens;” was it so? Was there no service of love for the lame boy? No work for him in the vineyard? The question was answered one day.

“Walter,” said a gentleman who had often met him, “how is it, when you cannot walk, that your shoes always get worn out?”

A blush came over the boy’s pale face, but after hesitating a moment he said:

“My mother has younger children, sir, and while she is out washing, I amuse them by creeping about the floor, and playing with them.

“Poor boy!” said a lady standing near, not loud enough, as she thought, to be over heard, “what a life to lead! What has he in the future to look forward to?”

The tear started in his eye, and the bright smile that chased it away, showed that he did hear her. As she passed by him to step on shore, he said in a low voice, but with a smile that went to her heart-

“I’m looking forward to having wings, some day, lady!”

Happy Walter! Poor, crippled, and dependent on charity, yet doing, in his measure, the Master’s will, patiently waiting for the future, he shall, by-and-by “mount up with wings as eagles, shall run and be not weary, shall walk and not faint.” – Congregationalist.

Interesting story. Lucky the guy was, able to reason, to believe, and to play a musical instrument on his own.

My little one just went to school, it's Kindergarten, and in Elementary schools here in the US, crippled children are often attend the same classes with the healthy. But many of the crippled have to go to special classes, as they need a great deal of assistance.

And very many of them do have nothing to look forward to, and will spend much of their lifes in and out of hospitals, totally dependant of the good will of the people around.

One of them, daughter of Russian immigrants, is 6 years old, looks like overgrown toddler the size of 12 year old, doesn't have a good sence of balance and can only walk with somebody's help (she would fall forward).

But she's got the heart of gold. Always wants to hug, to say how much she loves you, and in her measure, to do favour. Breaks your heart to see this.

And her poor mother...

So the story continues.