Appalachian & American Fiddle Tunes

stevejay

I am completely devoted to southern oldtime music, haven't played it much on the concertina, but I play a lot of oldtimey stuff on the fiddle. I've tried Soldier's joy and Liberty on the concertina, and it sounded nice. I've tried to "cajunize" oldtime on the concertina, real cool stuff.

I love to play 'Midnight on the Water', on English, it's a nice simple slow tune but somehow packs a punch! See more details and mp3 recording at this page of my website: http://greyhoundmusic.co.uk/5060/

Edited by banjojohn

• 4 weeks later...

I find it slightly surreal when someone resurrects a thread that's nine years old. Orm, has it really taken you four years of reading old threads to find this?

You need to get a life mate, I mean seriously! ;)

But, but, but ... If he had started a new thread then somebody would have jumped in and said that we discussed all of this before.

I find it slightly surreal when someone resurrects a thread that's nine years old. Orm, has it really taken you four years of reading old threads to find this?

But, but, but ... If he had started a new thread then somebody would have jumped in and said that we discussed all of this before.

Oh boy, metamorphosis into a meta-thread... a thread discussing itself! B)

I have only recently become a member of this discussion forum and until now, very pleased to say that I have had extremely positive, informative and encouraging replies to post I have made. Peter, how do you suppose that I have been reading old threads for 4 years and more to the point what is so wrong with that? There is much of interest in posts both old and new. If you have nothing better to do on New Years Eve at 11 mins to midnight, than to criticise other members posts, then I seriously suggest that you are the one who needs to 'get a life'.... Big time! ;)

Edited by banjojohn

I have only recently become a member of this discussion forum and until now, very pleased to say that I have had extremely positive, informative and encouraging replies to post I have made. Peter, how do you suppose that I have been reading old threads for 4 years and more to the point what is so wrong with that? There is much of interest in posts both old and new. If you have nothing better to do on New Years Eve at 11 mins to midnight, than to criticise other members posts, then I seriously suggest that you are the one who needs to 'get a life'.... Big time!

Err...easy here. I'm sure Pete is just gently joshing you. Look at the smiley. No need to get upset.

For some reason I am unable to post 'smileys' into these text editing windows (or for that matter any other text variations, as all icons at the top are 'greyed out' and un-selectable). Perhaps I would also have put a smiley face on my post too, if I had been able to... ? :-)

For some reason I am unable to post 'smileys' into these text editing windows (or for that matter any other text variations, as all icons at the top are 'greyed out' and un-selectable). Perhaps I would also have put a smiley face on my post too, if I had been able to... ? :-)

Try clicking on the light switch button at the top left to enable the visual editor. :unsure: :rolleyes: :P B)

Very interesting thread here. Like so many times on C-net, I found new and fascinating music. I have almost no knowledge about appalachian music, but I just listened to Joel Bernstein and Marc Graham - wow.

Here is a website with documentary films about American roots culture, also about the Appalachians. http://www.folkstreams.net/film,128

• 2 weeks later...

Ok what I mean is how can we accompany say "Mountain music" or say the song "Foggy Moubtain Top for instance" .I don't play banjo but is their any merrit in trying to copy their repetitive rolls or is their a form of accompanyment that would fit in ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

RE the original post:

[[[sometimes a mix of playing across the rows & cross-row style works out best. The across the rows style gives that fiddle "bounce" sometimes, other times it is just too inconvenient.]]]

The OP seems to have mixed up some terminology. "Playing across the rows" IS "crow-row style." I believe the OP meant, sometimes a mix of playing across the rows and "on the row" or "along the row," works out best, he bouncy, back-and-forth "on the row" style gives that fiddle "bounce" sometimes, but other times can be "just too inconvenient."

I myself have noticed that playing oldtime on the Anglo, if it's at a dance clip, it can be quite cumbersome and awkward or "inconvenient" to play strictly old-style along the row, even though one thinks that would be the bouncier sound. It does help to run some notes in one direction across the rows.

Edited by ceemonster