For Sale: Suttner 31 Key Anglo, G/d Ebony

Craig Wagner

Jeffries design Anglo concertina by Juregen Suttner. 31-Button A2 model in G/D. A gorgeous instrument in both appearance and tone - made by the excellent German craftsman. Solid ebony ends, ebony hand grips, 7-fold bellows, steel reeds, red felt key bushings, with sturdy original case. The concertina is fairly stunning to look at – it is all black (the bellows and black ebony) and silver (all buttons, screws and hardware). The black ebony has streaks of chocolate-brown grain that looks pretty cool (especially on RH side, see pic). The rich tones of this lower-pitched instrument are a delight to hear and to my ear has a buttery amber sound. I especially love the “honk” of the low G on this puppy. The bellows are air tight.

This is a great instrument for singing but also plays very well in the keys of G , D and A so also a good instrument to play with other traditional musicians. Also, I find this a nice instrument for chording behind Irish traditional music since its lower register provides a nice foundation to the higher pitches of the fiddles, flutes and pipes. In A=440 tune. In like-new condition, since it is only 3 years old. Instrument # 196.

See the full detail on the A2 at http://www.suttnerconcertinas.com/catalogue.html, including the tuning diagram including a G/G drone for the thumb on the left side. The diagram listed at the bottom of the page is for C/G, so take everything down a 4th for the tuning of this G/D. The only difference in the button layout is on the first two buttons on the accidental row on the right side (G#/G# on button one and C#/A# on button two – push/pull) to match the layout used by Noel Hill (if it is good enough for Noel, it’s good enough for me!). This gives a very handy push C# that matches the pitch of the pull C# on the right side first row, first button. One other change is a pull very low A on the last button, left side, row closest to the hands (think of a C/G layout and this would be a very low D, a step above the lowest pitch on the instrument). That very low A adds some real guts to tunes in A.

I’m selling it to help finance my son’s college education.

Suttner concertinas are in great demand and he currently has a long waiting list (48 month estimate). Avoid the long delay and get into a high-end instrument now. The list price for this instrument is 4,020 Euros (3,630 base price plus 230 ebony ends plus 160 G/D tuning). Today’s conversion rate makes that $5,304. I will sell it for $5,600 plus shipping and insurance. If sold through Concertina Net, I’ll make a donation to Paul for his great work on our collective behalf.

I haven’t seen a Suttner on the market for a while, so contact me soon to get your hands on a great concertina! Also, I’ll leave the “damp-it” humidity tube in the case – be sure you keep your concertinas at the right humidity, it will make them last forever (at least a lot longer than you and I will be around)!

Thanks,

Craig Wagner

post-320-1165102557_thumb.jpg

post-320-1165102637_thumb.jpg

All,

I'm making some sound files for the concertinas I have for sale... Currently I have some for the Ab/Eb Lachenal... If you want me to make some for this Suttner G/D, please let me know. Send me your email address so I can send them along to you.

Thanks,

Craig

Hehe I was willing to sell my soul for this concertina here, but alas four buyers already commited. But it's somewhat a good thing as I really couldnt afford it, would have had to sell shares and bank other invested stuff. Isnt that amazing what one would do for a rare instrument?

Edited by Azalin

I’m selling it to help finance my son’s college education.

Well, I hope your son is thoroughly grateful. Has he any idea what you're giving up for him? I bet the thought of selling him instead briefly crossed your rebellious mind!

Chris

Chris, don't get me reconsidering!

Craig