Sign in to follow this  
sidesqueeze

Opinions On This Wheatstone Anglo?

40 Key Wheatstone C/G Anglo Concertina #56437 (1954) Item number: 260058851817

Sorry, don't know how to post that direct link.

Questions:

40 seems like a lot of buttons on an Anglo! Can anyone direct me to a likely map for these notes?

Wonder why no bids so far. Does anyone recognize this seller?

Any comment on 1954 Wheatstone anglos in general?

Edited by sidesqueeze

Questions:

40 seems like a lot of buttons on an Anglo! Can anyone direct me to a likely map for these notes?

Wonder why no bids so far. Dowe anyone recognize this seller?

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...%3D50%26fvi%3D1

The description sounds fairly accurate. At least one Forum member has one from this era, and will probably post to say that is likely to be an adequate instrument, but nowhere near as good as one from the 1910 - 1930 "vintage" period.

See also:

http://www.concertina.com/anglo/#gaskins-l...eatstone-anglos

http://www.concertina.com/jones/Jones-Anglo-tutor-1946.pdf

Page 12 shows the likely keyboard layout for a 40 key C/G Anglo.

Regards,

Peter.

You'll find a 40-button C/G fingering chart here.

I've never had the opportunity to play a Wheatstone from that era myself. I've heard that some of them are quite nice, but that the quality was much less consistent than it was during the "classic" period.

Daniel

Questions:

Wonder why no bids so far. Does anyone recognize this seller?

I have a number of 40 Key Wheastone anglos made in the 1950's they are very good to play and are well made.The only difference being the fretwork is not as complex as earlier instruments.I also believe that Wheatstone anglos with the numbering in the 50.000's were also made before the Second World War.I have a 40 key concertina 50705 that is a superb instrument both to play and in construction and has the more inticate fretwork associated with earlier instruments.Many,if not most 30key anglo's made in the 1950's have reeds crimped onto frames.Instruments over 30 keys,in my experience had slotted reeds.

The great advantage of a 40 key instrument with the Wheatstone keyboard layout is the duplicated notes that enable you to play Irish music especially,without contorting your fingers.Most of the notes you use can be played on the push and the pull.

Please bear in mind that my views are often considered odd by other concertina players.For instance I would not have a Jeffries concertina in the house!

My guess would be that this concertina is known as a "South African" Wheatstone. Vic Tromp and Jan Bosch (formerly from South Africa) sold several of these concertinas on Ebay in the last few years. The Button Box also sold two 40 note Wheatstones on my behalf in the past few years.

My opinion ... I would buy this concertina myself if I had the extra cash. The 1950's Wheatstones that I bought from South Africa were well maintained and the sounds made were excellent.

South African "Boer Music" concertina players employ all three key rows in any given song.