Need Lots Of Sympathy

Sharron

Come on and give me loads of sympathy, you see stupid me moved some heavy furniture then slipped, fell and buggered (excuse my french) my left arm. As I am a coward I won't go to the doctors, I am sure it is only torn muscle/ligaments as I *heard* them go.......yuck.

So doing things one armed is bad enough, but HEY how on earth am I going to get through the holidays and sessions without playing? I can only move my arm a tiny bit and can't rotate it at all, so no fiddle or concertina, not even a whistle can I manage. Now maybe I should sing and spoil everyones time :P

Seriously how do people get through without being able to play? But feel well enough to want to. So frustrating :angry:

So I will listen to cds...... Thanks Morgana :D

No excuse for not learning tunes before rushing to play them.

Roll on the sympathy PLEASE.........

Sharron :(

Yeah Sharron I know what you mean. I've been talking with a friend who has been forced to give up playing his chosen instrument because of arthritis in his knuckles. Being of strong spirit, however, he has been finding other instruments to work out his ideas.

Be thou of good cheer, my invisible friend. All is calm; all is bright. You'll pick up your instrument soon.

Solstice comes soon!

Rob

Oh, Sharron, my deepest sympathies, especially while in the throes of holiday stress! How to cope without access to such a wonderful stress reducer as making music??

Do you have a health food store or food coop nearby? I am regularly spraining/straining my ankles on a regular basis and I find that arnica, either pill variety or ointment actually helps a lot...

Re: sessions. Yes, SING! Who knows, maybe everyone else will join in!

I am sure it is only torn muscle/ligaments as I *heard* them go......

Hmm, sounds to me like that COULD be or develop into something with recurring pain/symptoms....maybe you should go to the doctor. Though, I know what you mean about not wanting to!

I wonder if you should keep your arm motionless or force it to keep in motion? You know, keep it from 'freezing' or settling into its 'wounded' posture.

I fell down a flight of wooden stairs once, all on my back, when I was 16. I didn't go to any doctor...don't know for sure that it would have made any difference....but, though I had relatively little pain right after falling, years later, I developed problems with the left arm/shoulder that I believe may have come from that. (Pinched a nerve, maybe? Dunno...) I've often wondered if I could have prevented these symptoms (not too frequent, fortunately, these days).

Anyway, I'd do regular checks on your ROM (range of motion) and so on!

Hope you'll feel better soon!

Back in 1999 I lost 6 months to what what apparently tendonitis. I just had to get my musical satisfaction from my brass playing and from listening and hanging out. America is a society where you are taught everything can be cured overnight with a pill. So time can be the hardest medicine to take. (I hear in Europe they teach that everything is cured by sitting in a hot spring. Sounds a lot more fun!!) :P

:( Sharon, you MUST go to the doctor! I did the very same thing a few years ago, and thinking that it would just "get better", I ignored the pain for a few days. But this type of injury can result in the "freezing" of your shoulder, which would require total anesthetic and three strong men to break the joint loose again! When I finally gave in and saw my doctor, a simple shot of cortisone had all the pain and numbness GONE by the time I returned hime. I know that you want to start playing again as soon as possible, so GO SEE THE DOC!

Hi Sharron,

I thought only guys did stoopid overly physical stuff like that. In July or August I was trying to pull an air conditioner out of its box with the tips of my fingers and all of my weight. I failed to notice it was screwed to the box quite securely. I don't know if I actually heard the tendon say "POP" or if the shooting pain made me imagine it, but the ring finger of my left hand bothered me for weeks. That wouldn't be so bad, except that a substantial portion of my income comes from playing and teaching. I play a fretless electric bass, and needed to reconfigure my fingering patterns for a long while. It still bugs me if I don't use it carefully. Those big bass strings are a bear.

I concur with the "see a Doc" notion. I didn't, cause I'm too damned broke, and Drs. charge too much for me to stand. Don't get me going on health care for the uninsured in the US. In the meantime, get a harmonica and hold it in the hand which isn't damaged. You will find the note positions totally intuitive, and it will give you something musical to concentrate on. I'm sure we all know that when one is practicing or palying music, the rest of the world, including pain, slips away.

Best of luck, and get that flipper mended if it doesn't start to feel better in a couple of days.

Try for happy holidays, regardless.

Jim

Oh Sharron,

How awful. You're hurt AND you can't play. Talk about adding insult to injury. I just found out that the last 3 emails I sent you also did not go through.

Soooooooooo, I'll harrangue (however that is spelled) you here.

I grew up with the notion that being stoic was a good thing. I DID NOT go to the doctor. So, speaking from experience, I can tell you GO TO THE DOCTOR. GO NOW. WELL NOT NOW IF IT IS THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, BUT AT DAYLIGHT, GO.

I don't say this lightly, as I had asthmatic bronchitis for 8 weeks before I decided I was sick enough to go. I can't tell you how this delights my doctor.

As others have told you, sometimes you develop new symptoms when you wait.

Okay enough of that.

Sympathy. Here is 3 bushels of sympathy. How awful. Harmonicas are nice. Tin whistles. Slapping your knee.

Tell us how you are doing, if you go to the doctor, when you are feeling better.

And if you wimp out, Alan Day will tell us. Ha.

Helen

Hi Sharon,

Wishing you a speedy recovery (yes go to the Doctor, or a physio or an Alexander teacher if that's your thing. We only have one body, and we need to look after it :)

Take care, and please let us know how you are doing.

Morgana :)

ok been to the docs and it may be broken but not a big break or it may be fractured or..............

anyway i have to take tablets but i can drink :lol: monitor it then if nok ok go back. it is in my elbow joint so i suppose they can't do much until the swelling goes down. so will wait and see.

my hubby is playing his box which isn't fair.

anyway off to drop of christmas pressies so bye for now

sharron

Hi Sharron,

also from Spain, Basque Country, I send you loads of sympathu.

First I did not midn top mucha, since I have your Cd's, but than I got worried..

I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME MORE !!

Well seriously again :

Me too I wopuld have given you the porder : GO TO THE DOCTOR.

I am glad to read that you have gone meanwhile and sad to read that he could not do too much fot he momwent, but I hope to understand that it will pass by without serious consequences.

Me too I do not like to go the doctor and even more I dop not like to take any medicin. But me too I had to learn.

Good luck and hope toread soon that you are reestablished.

Cordially

Joachim Delp

Sharron-

Yes. Sympathy. You've got it.

Now, something else. I am a doctor. See that ventilator bellows in my sig? I'm an anesthesiologist. I spend a lot of time with orthopedists and their patients.

If, as you say, you heard something rip, it is not likely to get better without surgery. It will try to heal itself with scar tissue if the ends are still near each other, but you will not find it satisfactory for playing music or other tasks of daily life.

Bite the bullet. Go.

And if you (or anyone else) don't mind an off-color joke, e-mail me for the one about the guy who didn't want to see the doctor about his painful arm. :D (I'm not laughing at you. It's just a very funny joke.)

Added in Edit: Oops. Just noticed your post above where you said you'd been to the doctor's. Sorry. My 2nd retraction for careless reading today (or since I joined concertina.net). I should get some fresh air.

The joke offer still stands.

Edited by David Barnert

Oh Sharron,

I am so glad you had your arm, shoulder, well body, looked at. I'd like to think it was because all of us well wishers were worried about you and sent you off. However, I KNOW the real reason you went was because Dave P. threatened to whup you!

Here's hopin' you're much better very very soon.

Helen

The joke offer still stands.

:( ...but, that's what I was doing, just before I fell...heheh...standing, at the top of the flight of stairs...and it was the threat of my becoming new subject material for my paper-route customer's next suggestive 'joke' that made me turn on my heels just a liiiitttlllle bit too quickly...

and then, next thing I knew, I was at the bottom of the stairs, and unable to move for a moment.

The 'gentleman' was kind enough to ask me if I was okay, but, once I was out of there, I decided NOT to go to the doctor because I was afraid that my route customer would try to make sure there was no big problem to him. So...I figured that if I didn't even mention the incident to anyone, then he wouldn't have any problem (at the time, I wasn't even really sure if he had pushed me, or not, though, I really doubt it). I was worried that people would wonder WHY I fell down some stairs on my paper route!

Geezh. I don't know WHAT I was thinking. Shoulda gone to the doctor, I guess.

Anyway, about 15 or more years later, my husband, daughter and I moved into an apartment, and JUST as we were entering the apartment complex parking lot, there was my former customer -- all packed up and leaving. He'd been evicted. As he went past, he blew me a big kiss. So, I guess he remembered me. I just laughed. But, it really wasn't very funny!