Regarding Finishes ...

I contacted a French polisher/antique restorer in town and asked him about redoing the ends of my Lachenal (seen here, since I don't post enough links to it, hehe). Here was his response:

Anthony,

Yes we do French polishing. French polishing is a technique of hand padding numerous coats of shellac

to the desired finish. From the looks of your pictures it doesn't appear to have had a classic French polished finish with a deep

depth and sheen. The finish I would suggest is a hand padded shellac satin finish and carnauba wax. The satin finish

wouldn't show scratches or finger prints as much. Something else to be taken into consideration is the rosewood itself.

Some rosewoods are very oily and try to reject some finishes. It may be necessary to go with a traditional finish that the wood

will accept.

Ralph Driscoll

Is this a good idea? Any thoughts?

- Anthony

I contacted a French polisher/antique restorer in town and asked him about redoing the ends of my Lachenal (seen here, since I don't post enough links to it, hehe).

Is this a good idea? Any thoughts?

- Anthony

IMO, French Polishing would certainly result in a beautiful deep finish if that's what you want.

Something I've learned from making instruments and encountering the problem of some finishes (notably polyurethanes) not hardening on rosewood, is that shellac (French polish) is the one thing that will stick to and harden on just about anything.

Many instrument makers apply a wash-coat of shellac to seal the surface before applying other finishes.

Your guy would appear to know what he's talking about and can probably do you a satin finish or the sort of gloss they used to put on pianos.

Oh, and shellac is probably what was put on your Lachenal when it was made.

Something I've learned from making instruments and encountering the problem of some finishes (notably polyurethanes) not hardening on rosewood, is that shellac (French polish) is the one thing that will stick to and harden on just about anything.

Many instrument makers apply a wash-coat of shellac to seal the surface before applying other finishes.

Your guy would appear to know what he's talking about and can probably do you a satin finish or the sort of gloss they used to put on pianos.

Oh, and shellac is probably what was put on your Lachenal when it was made.

Hi,

Personally, I have never had problems polishing rosewood. The thinned initial wash coats work well and provides a good key for subsequent polishes. Shellac polishes are alcohol based and many modern finishes are based on different and incompatible solvent mediums. Carry out tests on scrap timber to ensure compatibility of polishes before committing to the workpiece.

Though it is very rarely required with shellac polishes, one tip that can be employed on oily hardwoods is to degrease the surface first. It is usually only needed as a spot treatment for particularly greasy areas on tropical hardwoods. Wash off the wood with alcohol several times and leave to dry out fully.Then apply a thin coat of pure alcohol spirit with a rubber or pad and set light to it !! Provided you have not used too much spirit, it will only burn for a few seconds and does not actually burn the wood. The alcohol will dissolve the oils in the topmost layers of the wood and will burn off. (Though I have never tried it, this may well work with cellulose finishes too using thinners)

Follow immediately with a thinned coat of shellac which will then key well into the wood to forma good bond for the main finish.

There are obvious safety considerations here and this is definately not for the amateur.

It may be worth considering a pad applied, Shellac/cellulose mixture. These are sometimes called 'table top shellac'. These are just as easy to use and are more water/alcohol/heat resistant than pure french polishes.

Regards

Dave

.....apply a thin coat of pure alcohol spirit with a rubber or pad and set light to it !! Provided you have not used too much spirit, it will only burn for a few seconds and does not actually burn the wood. .

:o I'm not doubting that you're not right in what you say, but it'll take a brave and very trusting 'tinerist to follow your advice and set fire to his pride and joy Dave!

:)