Just Starting

erosislen

I have always loved listening to the concertina and have always wanted to learn how to play one. I started looking on ebay and have no idea what is a "good" or "bad" buy. After reading some posts here I've decided I'd better ask before bidding/buying. My question is what are the names of some good basic concertinas for learning on, and what can I expect to pay for them? Also, has anyone heard of a Cozart? (That's the kind I was looking at on ebay)

Edited by erosislen

The better concertina you can afford the more enjoyable it will be, and the quicker you'll be able to learn to play. Most of the inexpensive boxes are not only difficult to play, but need a fair amount of work just be BE playable. And this is not a situation of being in good shape or not - inexpensive boxes are very poorly designed and constructed. Even if they were to be in pristine condition they'd still be hard to play, break down frequently, and no where near as enjoyable as better boxes.

The Cozart is pretty much the bottom of the heap. Most people that get boxes like this either quickly give up and try a different type of instrument (thinking that all concertinas must be as hard and sound as bad) or get a better concertina. Quickly as in a few weeks. The extremely financially challenged and determined will spend an inordinate amount of time fixing the box (often) and sticking it out for a month or more before giving up or upgrading.

Such is life with a sub-$200 concertina. At the minimum I suggest you consider the Jackie or Rochelle from the ConcertinaConnection which are reasonable beginner boxes in the $200-$300 range. Better yet is the Stagi lineup around $700 though they're their cost/value is no where near as good as the Jackie/Rochelle. Good concertinas start around $1500.

A good way to start is to give us more information about your desires - what kind of music do you like and would like to play on the concertina? Who have you heard play? Do you already play other instruments? There are several different types of concertinas - and makes sense going in the direction you want to rather than spending time/money needlessly.

-- Rich --

A good way to start is to give us more information about your desires - what kind of music do you like and would like to play on the concertina? Who have you heard play? Do you already play other instruments? There are several different types of concertinas - and makes sense going in the direction you want to rather than spending time/money needlessly.

-- Rich --

I don’t think I even know enough to answer your questions intelligently! Who have I heard play? Nobody who I can name by name. I’ve heard people play the concertina at various times and places, and whenever I’ve heard it, I’ve liked it. I play piano, but haven’t had the room to have a piano in years. I used to play guitar very badly (small hands, could never chord properly – at least that’s my excuse!) Since posting here, I’ve been doing more research and listening and I really like the sound of the English concertina – I also like that it can be played in any key. Types of music I like – everything! LOL! I like Irish and Zydeco (spelling?) but since I’ve started to “listen” around – I’ve heard some classical music played on the Concertina, and as that’s what I loved to play on the piano – that’s the direction I’d like to go towards on the Concertina.

Of the three types, the English concertina seems best suited for classical music. Indeed - it was invented espressly to play that sort of thing easily: it's easy to read sheet music by, plays in any key fairly easily (more easily than a piano can play in any key), and is capable of playing very, very fast passages. Here're are a few samples (low quality, truncated) from David Townsend's Portrait of a Concertina recording.

Suite in E minor, excerpt snippet 1

Suite in E minor, excerpt snippet 2

Czardas

Benetev a Trevito

Argh! Sorry for the abrupt endings there - I had made them nicely fade out but somehow the conversoin to mp3 made them abrupt. Oh well, at least you get the drift of what an English concertina is capable of.

Duets might also be an option for you particularly if you really like doing a lot of contrapuntal stuff and the need for speed isn't critical. If you're unsure maybe you could borrow or rent one of each English and duet to see which works best for you.

-- Rich --

Edited by Richard Morse

Thank you! These sound files are great! For some reason when I listen to them, they DO fade out nicely - no abrupt endings, so they worked out as you intended. The second one won't play, but the others do.

I had never heard of a Duet until I read your post, and so searched them out online. I found some great sites on their history, etc. I am intrigued! From what I read, however, it is difficult to find an instructor for them. But then again, where I live, I would be lucky to find any instructor for any type of concertina. So I will be mainly self-taught - with the help of books, websites, etc.

I am leaning towards the Jackie on the site you posted. I like that it can be traded in for full price on an upgrade, and the soundbites of it being played on it's site sound good - to my untrained ear at least. The concertinas I like the best so far to listen to are the metal ended English ones. I've only managed to find a few sound files online with them, but they remind me of a French Horn - which I love. It will be awhile though, before I'm ready/able to invest in one of those!

Thank you! These sound files are great! For some reason when I listen to them, they DO fade out nicely - no abrupt endings, so they worked out as you intended. The second one won't play, but the others do.
Oops! I should have checked my work.... There - now the link is fixed. Check it out again

Suite in E minor, excerpt snippet 2 it's one of Bach's most popular melodies. Dave does a great job of it. It's too bad that his album is out of print. It was very popular amongst our crowd though not with the label's typical customers. I wish he'd be able to get the rights back to it so that he could have smaller runs made by an independent - or maybe just contract it himself!

I had never heard of a Duet until I read your post, and so searched them out online. I found some great sites on their history, etc. I am intrigued! From what I read, however, it is difficult to find an instructor for them. But then again, where I live, I would be lucky to find any instructor for any type of concertina. So I will be mainly self-taught - with the help of books, websites, etc.
There're uite a few concertina players in Vermont, and you might be close enough to western MA to come down to our Concertina Workshops at The Button Box (next one will be held April 14th).

-- Rich --

If it helps at all, I bought an ebay Gremlin english concertina and am frustrated by a couple of duff buttons/reeds. I tried taking it apart to fix it but didn't feel confident enough to investigate too far. If I had bought from a shop I could get them to sort it out. So I would follow Rich's advice.

The problem that is sometimes overlooked by people who post here is that when we buy an instrument at first we don't know how we are going to get on with it. I have an accordian that i just haven't got on woth and am really glad I didn't buy a more expensive one. On the other hand I do wish I bought a better concertina. It is a double edged sword.

I have been teaching myself and have been enjoying it. I downloaded the Frank Butler tutor and that got me going and after that you can go your own way.

Hope you have as much fun as me and when you get stuck which I have ask here and there are lots of people to help.

Trilby

There're uite a few concertina players in Vermont, and you might be close enough to western MA to come down to our Concertina Workshops at The Button Box (next one will be held April 14th).

I am about 3 hours from western MA, so I will certainly try to attend the workshop! And thanks for the invite!

I looked and looked and finally ordered a Jackie from the Concertina Connection. I am eagerly awaiting its arrival, it just seemed to be the best value for the money. I also liked that it can be traded up for a full refund of the purchase price. Thank you for all of your help, and I will certainly be back once it arrives for more advice and encouragement!

PS - the soundfile was great!

I have been teaching myself and have been enjoying it. I downloaded the Frank Butler tutor and that got me going and after that you can go your own way

How long have you been playing? I can't wait to get started! The Jackie is supposed to come with a tutor, but I will try the Frank Butler tutor too. Where did you download it from?

Hope you have as much fun as me and when you get stuck which I have ask here and there are lots of people to help

I'm sure I will have fun! And yes, this is a great site; everyone seems quite helpful and friendly. There also seem to be many people here who share my interesting sense of humor (I've been reading posts!) - I wonder if there is some kind of connection between that and liking concertinas!

Edited by erosislen

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to let you all know that my Jackie has arrived! Other than checking the box for damage and removing the tutor, I'm forcing myself to wait until Christmas morning to open it. I'm reading the tutor and have downloaded the Frank Butler tutor online.

I want to thank everyone who has been so helpful, and I know I'll be back after Christmas!

Edited by erosislen

I just wanted to let you all know that my Jackie has arrived! Other than checking the box for damage and removing the tutor, I'm forcing myself to wait until Christmas morning to open it. I'm reading the tutor and have downloaded the Frank Butler tutor online.

I want to thank everyone who has been so helpful, and I know I'll be back after Christmas!

Just a suggestion... Take the Butler tutor or whatever tutor you choose to download and have it spiral bound at your local copy center. It'll be a lot easier to use. Mike

Why wait? Open it now, and start working on it. It's not going to go easy, lots of work and repetition.

I have always been amused why people consider musical instruments Christmas Gifts? I mean, a pair of socks, new watch, a TV set etc. - sure, but a musical instrument is not going to get you started at once, it's not a Christmas gift, it's a Life gift. Why waste two weeks for idling, instead you can amuse your folks by "playing" a tune or two.

At first your waiting will be difficult, but then you forget and it'll be easy. And then something else happens, and before you know it, your new isntrument sits in it's box unchecked, and you have many excuses not to touch it. Then we'll see a "for sale" ad.

Open it!

It's not your usual "gift", it's an invitation for a journey. The later you start, the shorter your trip is going to be.

And yes, they are right, a 1000 miles journey 'does' start with a first step. This step is better taken, when the weather is good.

P.S.

I also suggest many tutors. The one that comes with the Jackie is very rudimental.

Why wait? ... Why waste two weeks for idling, instead you can amuse your folks by "playing" a tune or two

Well, basically because I have no floks and this is the only Christmas gift I'll be getting! I enjoy the anticipation and love having something to open on Christmas morning. It's my gift to myself.

At first your waiting will be difficult, but then you forget and it'll be easy. And then something else happens, and before you know it, your new isntrument sits in it's box unchecked, and you have many excuses not to touch it. Then we'll see a "for sale" ad.

LOL! So if I open it now, I'll succeed, but if I wait two weeks, I'll give it up and sell it???

I've had my Jackie just over a year and it's been great fun. I agree with savouring the anticipation and waiting until Christmas....but it's not a popular approach in this country. Immediate gratification is more the rule.

Well, basically because I have no floks and this is the only Christmas gift I'll be getting! I enjoy the anticipation and love having something to open on Christmas morning. It's my gift to myself.

LOL! So if I open it now, I'll succeed, but if I wait two weeks, I'll give it up and sell it???

Yes. Open it now, enjoy life at it's random offerings, don't be a slave of a calendar. Life taught me that tomorrow can't be trusted.

Here's a deal.

I'll give you a Christmas gift.

I'll copy some music from Russian accordion tutor, where you can use Right hand arrangements for your Jackie (it has very serious rihgt hand arrangements), and you'll put it under your Christmas tree to open. It's insignificant and can wait. But your life gift should be opened now and you must play a tune on the Christmas Eve.

Good deal, mm?

(now I'm in trouble, I guess. May be I should do this and offer for everyone as Christmas Gift, huh? But you'll have to wait till "After Christmas", so I can make copies, clean them up with Photoshop, and put them on my web site. And I don't even celebrate Christmas, and not even religious, even right up atheistic. We have some disagreements with Jesus, but it's a family quarrel, not to be taken outside.)

Merry Christmas, everybody!

Let it be not the last one, and not the best one.

Keep on saving.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, this is going to sound a little weird, but please bear with me. I am buying a Morelli Anglo concertina with 20 buttons and 40 reeds, this will be my very first one, and I am going to play it in (here it comes) a comedy heavy metal band :blink: . As such, I need to learn how to play it by ear and write songs in stead of just playing pre-written songs (unless we do a cover song) and, if possible, to learn how to do this by mid-June '07. If any of this sounds rediculous and/or plain old stupid (which I'm sure it does), please forgive me. Also, I am a huge pirate fan and would love to learn some good ol' sea shanties just for fun. Again, I know NOTHING about these things, so I'm bound to say some really dumb things.

Sincerely,

Captain James Crow (don't sue me, Johnny Depp!)

Hi, this is going to sound a little weird, but please bear with me. I am buying a Morelli Anglo concertina with 20 buttons and 40 reeds, this will be my very first one, and I am going to play it in (here it comes) a comedy heavy metal band :blink: . As such, I need to learn how to play it by ear and write songs in stead of just playing pre-written songs (unless we do a cover song) and, if possible, to learn how to do this by mid-June '07. If any of this sounds rediculous and/or plain old stupid (which I'm sure it does), please forgive me. Also, I am a huge pirate fan and would love to learn some good ol' sea shanties just for fun. Again, I know NOTHING about these things, so I'm bound to say some really dumb things.

Sincerely,

Captain James Crow (don't sue me, Johnny Depp!)

I'm sorry, I almost forgot to mention! I'm left-handed, so if that has any impact on how I'll play the concertina, please let me know!