Music Writer Required Please

I have had a number of requests for the music to go with my Anglo tutor tape,which does not exist,as I play all the tunes by ear.

Is there a kind person out there who could assist me by writing out the tunes so if anyone wants the music they only need to ask.I have offered my services free and the tapes to anyone who wants them.I would do this myself but my music writing is hopeless.I would send a tape to anyone who would help and run off the copies and distribute them.

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan

Surely enough is enough. After all you have given the names of the tunes on that excellent tape of yours. I would have thought it shouldn't be too difficult for whoever wants it to get hold of the music if they really need it perhaps from an archive/collection on the net or even by dropping a post on the C/net forum.

Like yourself I've mainly picked up tunes by listening to recordings or playing in sessions and found that the more you do it, the easier it seems to become. To me that is part of the fun of folk music although I could accept that this may not suit everyone.

Pete

I did something like this for Jim Besser a year or two ago. I'd be happy to do it for you. What I propose is that you send me the tape and I will create music notation files in both JPG format (for viewing on screen) and PDF format (for high-resolution printing). You could print the PDF's yourself and include them with the tape and also send the files to anyone who asks for them.

I'll send you my address by private e-mail.

(I've been thinking of asking for the tape anyway, even though I don't play Anglo since I heard your playing on the "headless" video files you posted.)

Alan,

I would be more than happy to help. I also have a very large collection of trad music from the internet, which is indexed. If you'd like to give me a list of the tunes on your tape, I would be more than happy to email you any tunes I have that correspond.

Cheers

Morgana

Hallo Peter ,David and Morgana,

I hope you do not mind me answering you in the order you posted your replies.

With regards to playing by ear Peter ,I have been on both sides of the fence.Years ago I played third trumpet in a Glen Miller type band and because of the way I learnt the instrument and the strict accuracy of the notes I had to play,I learnt from music.I can say sadly that if someone took the music away ,I could not play a note.When learning the concertina I decided as I was going to play for Morris Dancing that music reading outside a pub would be impossible,so I learnt to play by ear.I now only use music to learn a tune and then memorise it.It would be a shame if someone felt restricted to learn and was put off because there was no music.Do I regret playing by ear,definately not.

David I would like to thank you for your warm offer and I would like to accept it and I have sent you an email with this in mind.

I would also like to thank you Morgana for your kind offer,which would have been great apart from the fact that some of the tunes on the tape are written by myself and Chris Shaw (GIGCB) and have never been put on paper.

Thank you all for your interest and help.

Regards

Alan :)

David, Morgana,

Would any of you find it easier transcribing from a CD rather than tape? I have created a CD of the Alan Day Tutor tape divided into about 20 or 30 tracks, and it is no trouble for me to burn a few more copies and send them to you.

(I also would offer to transcribe, but it takes me a long time and I wont be able to start that until after January 1st).

- Alex

Edited by AlexCJones

Alex,

CD would definitely be easier for me, as I could then run it through a slow down program (without changing pitch) for any notes that are elluding me.

One thing I should ask, is when are you hoping to get the transcriptions back? I am not a speedy transcriber, and that combined with my current work/studies might be a factor (and I don't want to let anyone down :) )

Cheers

Morgana

Wonderful Concertina World !!

Me too, I would like top help, but in this case I am not able to do so.

But sure that I shall have my opportunity.

I also own a copy of Alans Tape and I like it and shall work on it.

Writen Music would be helpful and worthwhile in my modest opinion.

The CD is also intersting, since it allows to use the Slow Downer.

Thnaks for the positive attidude of everypone.

Kind regrds

Joachim Delp

I feel the same way as Morgana. Given a choice between transcribing tunes off a tape or a CD, the CD wins by a slim margin. I will e-mail you my address. Thanks for the offer.

David, Morgana,

The CDs are on their way to you. I put them in the mail this morning.

Joachim, your copy will be in the mail on Monday.

- Alex

Hi Folks,

Alan helping folks out is nothing new though with the C.Net he can cast his net somewhat wider.

I learned my chord playing and owe much of my style to the teaching, some 25 years ago, of a dear friend to me and another of our members, Brian (Trooper) Hawes from Sussex. (Trooper, you have been a bit quiet lately.... age getting to you?? ;)

It was only by accident that, last year, I discovered through c.net that it was Alan who had taught the very same skills to Brian only a couple of years before it was passed on to me.

I raise my glass to both you fine gentlemen!

Dave

Trooper...Truly sorry I missed the party..

Dave