Isn't It Just The Purtiest Thing...

That one was made at Star Concertina & Accordion Company in nearby Cicero Illinois. They stopped building them a few years ago, then they closed the shop, except for the repair shop. I used to take my Anglos there for tuning, until their technician, Lucio (born in Castelfidardo) died early this year.

If you go to a Cicero Concertina Circle meeting, they all play those monstrous Chemnitzers, and you see a few of those heavily-guided ones there too. They all considered my Anglo to be some kind of toy. When I showed them that I could play a few tunes on my Anglo (chords on left hand, melody on right) they convinced me that I was "good enough" to "upgrade" to Chemnitzer and that I "owed myself" one. Fortunately, I did not have my checkbook with me.

When I woke the next day, I came to my senses, remembering that portability is one of the many things I like about the Anglo.

I remember a group of Chemnitzer players coming to Halsway something like 18 years ago. They were quite surprised when, by some quirk of fate, I managed to find the set of buttons within the layout that corresponded to an anglo and played a couple of tunes. One of the instruments was a "special" and was like a huge Edeophone in blue pearlite with rhinestones everywhere. You had to use a neck strap connected to the two intermediate bellows frames to hold it in a playable position. Despite this a couple of them proceeded to play a tune uninterupted whilst getting down onto the floor, raising their legs in the air and then standing up again. Pat Robson was there that evening with his Bandoneon look alike machine and I believe he kept in touch with them.

Robin

I'm amused that some of you sigh over the size of this little (about 50 keys...) box .....consider Josef Schramm's 220 note bandonion...

Konzertinas/Bandonions of this kind may be regarded as somewhat oversized (although there is a lot more *inside* them than in an Anglo ...not speak of the musical potential) but using hybride construction the size of a doublereeded 60-70 key instrument could be reduced to say to 16-20 x 20-22cm... no larger than many Duets or wide range Englishes.

On the other hand there are good arguments for regarding the (common) Anglo as undersized! Portability certainly is an attractive factor... but of little significance for music-making as such....

Goran Rahm

Alex and Robin, I *have* to ask:

What sort of repertoire did these chemnitzer folks play on their, er, beasts? I have this awful image of Irish tunes played at polka rhythms, and I'm hoping it's a figment of post-influenza delerium.

What sort of repertoire did these chemnitzer folks play on their, er, beasts? I have this awful image of Irish tunes played at polka rhythms, and I'm hoping it's a figment of post-influenza delerium.

Around the Chicago area they are (present tense) largely of Polish heritage and play polkas. I couldn't begin to guess what they were playing at Halsway. Were they Americans?

Portability certainly is an attractive factor... but of little significance for music-making as such....

Sure, if you like to confine your music making to your own house or whatever is driving distance. But if I am going to travel and bring an instrument with me, I'd rather have an instrument that I can carry in a small case hanging from my shoulder than wheel around a huge case through airports. I'd rather bring an instrument I can fit in the overhead compartment than something I have to buy an extra seat for. If I am going to hike through the woods, climb a tree or a mountain, or find a nice cave to play music in, portability matters.

My, that must have been quite a bout of flu.

I had a very useful exchange of recordings with one of the stalwarts of the Chemnitzer scene a year or two back: I sent him recordings I had made in English music sessions, he sent me similar from Chemnitzer sessions (and a superb "2001 A concertina Odyssey" T-shirt). We established that though the music was different that atmosphere in our respective sessions was remarkably similar. As to what it sounded like, well German oom-pah music is the nearest comparison I can draw. It does sound like fun!

Chris