Difficult But Fun Tunes On Anglo

Chris -- Fete du Village is a workout for the left hand index finger. A fun tune.

Since I've never heard it : about how fast do you normally play it?

For me, playing G/D, it works my right hand hard. I'll take a metronome to it soon, but in the meantime, quite briskly!

Chris

>or me, playing G/D, it works my right hand hard.

> I'll take a metronome to it soon, but in the meantime,

> quite briskly!

Briskly it will be. On a C/G, it's a fine left hand exercise. Thanks for the suggestion.

Some other recent tunes folks might find entertaining, all available at various ABC sites:

Berendans , a Flemish (?) dance tune.

The Alte Kath -- a Zweifacher, in alternating 3/4 and 2/4 time.

Forresters Hornpipe

Katie's Rambles. This has become an all-time favorite; works out very nicely on a C/G anglo, and sounds terrific.

Hull's Victory in F

Magpie (old time, in G, played incredibly fast)

Always looking for tune suggestions from others!

• 3 months later...
Short of asking what is the name of the unnamed tune, do you have the ABCs or some such??

Well it was Jim Besser that came up with the ABC for Fete du Village (thanks, mate), I only learned both tunes in sessions, the set is a regular in the Radway. I'll do some research, but it'll have to be next week, 'cos in a few hours we're off up north for a long weekend.

Chris

Well Chris its been a long weekend since I asked and having finally mastered the Fete du Village (on melodeon) I would still love to know the name of the unnamed tune????

True story:

Last year I designed a concertina layout and ran simulations to test it, looking for tunes containing "awkward fingering requirements," which would require someone to dive for an alternate button. The fewer of those the better, and I ran a test against ~1500 session tunes in an ABC archive.

After a while, I discovered that just one tune was responsible for a large number of annoying conflicts: The Mason's Apron. It's also apparently a pain on a standard anglo, because of these jumps between a c# and f# in the second half. You have a c#-f#-c# occurring 3 times in the B part, per repeat---a colossal pain when using a Wheatstone layout, and with no alternate fingerings to help you!

I'm going to guess that whoever this mason was, he really hated concertinas of all kinds.

Caj

Last year I designed a concertina layout and ran simulations to test it, looking for tunes containing "awkward fingering requirements," which would require someone to dive for an alternate button.  The fewer of those the better, and I ran a test against ~1500 session tunes in an ABC archive.

Caj

I like your scientific approach! I guess you must be a serious scientist or at least you should have been!!

After a while, I discovered that just one tune was responsible for a large number of annoying conflicts:  The Mason's Apron.  It's also apparently a pain on a standard anglo, because of these jumps between a c# and f# in the second half....

...I'm going to guess that whoever this mason was, he really hated concertinas of all kinds.

As soon as you identified this Mason :ph34r: , inform me!! ;)

corrected a mistyping

Edited by Henk van Aalten