Jeffries/dickinson Hybrid On Ebay

dpmccabe

Surprised no one has mentioned it yet. Here it is for your viewing pleasure:

Well, Steve Dickinson makes some excellent reeds, so it should still be a top quality instrument. The light weight should make it ideal for Morris, yet it should be fast enough for Irish music. Will be an interesting one to value, and should tell us how much people are prepared to pay for something which is not 100% Jeffries.

Regards,

Peter.

Will be an interesting one to value, and should tell us how much people are prepared to pay for something which is not 100% Jeffries.

Well at £2300 it didn't meet its reserve. Bloomin' 'eck! If I were in the market for a high quality C/G (which I'm not, I used to have a Dickinson C/G which I sold because it didn't get the use it deserved - dpmccabe please note!) I would have been on this like a shot. What a beautiful combination - Jeffries body and Dickinson reeds. Let's hope someone from the forum phones Chris while they've still got the chance.

Chris

Will be an interesting one to value, and should tell us how much people are prepared to pay for something which is not 100% Jeffries.

Well at £2300 it didn't meet its reserve. Bloomin' 'eck! If I were in the market for a high quality C/G (which I'm not, I used to have a Dickinson C/G which I sold because it didn't get the use it deserved - dpmccabe please note!) I would have been on this like a shot. What a beautiful combination - Jeffries body and Dickinson reeds. Let's hope someone from the forum phones Chris while they've still got the chance.

Chris

The only negative for me (even though I'm not in the market for one) was the aluminium reed frames. It's just a personal thing but they never sound quite as nice to my ear as the brass-framed reeds.

The only negative for me (even though I'm not in the market for one) was the aluminium reed frames. It's just a personal thing but they never sound quite as nice to my ear as the brass-framed reeds.

That's why I passed on it, after talking to Chris over the phone for quite a while last week. But I have no doubt it's still an incredible instrument.

Chris

I'm more than a little surprised. Not so much that it didn't reach the reserve, but that the bidding only went up to £2300, in the light of recent auction prices.

I'm also wondering whether Chris took this one to Ireland, last month.

Regards,

Peter.

I'm more than a little surprised. Not so much that it didn't reach the reserve, but that the bidding only went up to £2300, in the light of recent auction prices.

Likewise. I suppose it also shows that the market is indeed quite bothered by the fact that it's not an "intact" Jeffries. I thought it was a good box myself...

Likewise. I suppose it also shows that the market is indeed quite bothered by the fact that it's not an "intact" Jeffries. I thought it was a good box myself...

(Oops)

My thought on this one was that if Jurgen Suttner could be talked into replacing the reeds it might have become an amazing instrument.

The recording of his instrument on Tim Collins' Dancing on Silver sounds clear and trumpet-like.

Can I get comments from someone with experience?

(Oops)

My thought on this one was that if Jurgen Suttner could be talked into replacing the reeds it might have become an amazing instrument.

The recording of his instrument on Tim Collins' Dancing on Silver sounds clear and trumpet-like.

Then perhaps the market priced it accordingly. How much does it cost to have a new set of Concertina reeds fitted?

(Oops)

Aside from my previous comments, I don't think I'd want to pay a fortune to replace Dickenson reeds with Suttner reeds. Dickenson are supposed to be among the best you can get.

Edited by Paul Read

My thought is why on earth would you want to do that? In my estimation it would be exactly comparable to asking Suttner to replace Dipper reeds. I sold my Dickinson because I have evolved to play almost exclusively G/D for tunes and C/G baritone for song, but it was with a lot of soul searching that I did so, and I still feel regrets. Steve Dickinson, whatever else he is, is a craftsman of the highest order.

Chris