Horslips - Happy To Meet

Cogsey

Myself and the two-year old were strolling through a Dublin market on Saturday and spottd a vinyl stall. I started flicking through the records and happened upon a Horslips album - "Happy to meet". The album sleeve is eight sided with intricate detail of an English concertina. Couldn't resist the temptation (even though I'm an Anglo player!) so bought it. What with parental duties I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet or even look at it closely so I have no idea of the significance of cover. Does anybody else have a copy? Is it any good. I have to say that it must have cost a packet to print!

On another note - was talking to Colin Dipper last week and he said he will "soon" be getting around to making my new concertina. "Soon" is good enough for me! I'm like Pavlov's dog - salivating (musically) at the prospect.

to those of you that remember helping me out with the audacity/sony MD query previously -we've moved house since summer and the recording stuff is taking a back seat for a while. I will get around to it - promise.

Best regards

Ciaran O'Grady

28 key Jeffries

Kildare

Hello Ciaran

congratulations on your Dipper entering into the realm of soon.Could I ask when you made your order or left your deposit?

Thanks,

Richard

Edited by richard

I am famaliar with the band Horslips, as they were actaully my introduction into celtic music some years ago.

I rember seeing the album cover you mentioned, and at that time I only knew it was a"concertina". The band itself uses a variety of instrumentation, including the concertina, as well as whistles, horns, and of coarse the traditional electric guitar...

I recall a track on "Book of Invasions" where you can clearly hear in stereo the alternating left /right side of a concertina, which now that you have brought up the english on the cover could very well be what is being played, I never thought about it much.

The band itself is a bit of a pop group on most tracks, celtic music with a rock/pop twist. Some of the songs are clearly traditional pieces with a modern arrangement.

Some of the songs are a bit too poppish for my liking and are apt to make me gag.

they were actaully my introduction into celtic music some years ago

Ah, that takes me back a few years! Horslips was my introduction to Irish music as well. No one could call them traditional, but a couple of albums (Happy to Meet, Sorry to Part; Drive the Cold Winter Away) came pretty close see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horslips). I loved this band. They used to have a cult following and probably still do.

By the way, I have two copies of the album you mention. It was what first got me interested in the concertina.

Rand

Edited by Rand

Hi Ciaran,

Went to school with Jim Lockart. His father owned the butchers around the corner from the school in James' St in Dublin. Originally Declan Synott was in the band and then later Johnny Fean. Whether to do with his joining or not, it was around this time that they moved away a little from the folksy/ trad sound as Johnny was a bit of a guitar fiend. That first album is a real find, I would treasure it. Charles O'Connor who played concertina was also a graphic designer and it was he I believe who was responsible for the front cover. I can still remember the excitement when I got that LP !!

Drive The Cold Winter away was very acousticy trad folk LP with some nice tunes on it including a Paddy Fahy jig. The rest of their stuff I wasn't mad about although when they brought out the Lipstick LP it was quite good or should I say enjoyable- whether it was "good " or not is another discussion.They played regularly at the Red Island holiday camp in Skerries, County Dublin and I would have seen them there many times. My memories, probably rose tinted where that they were wonderful. Any sessions going down your neck of the woods

Larry

... strolling through a Dublin market on Saturday and spottd a vinyl stall. I started flicking through the records and happened upon a Horslips album - "Happy to meet". The album sleeve is eight sided with intricate detail of an English concertina.

Ciaran,

Gosh, you remind me of the first time I ever saw that sleeve, in Dublin's Dandelion Market (where the St. Stephen's Green shopping centre now is) back in the '70s.

Horslips-1.jpg

The concertina is a hexagonal Lachenal "Excelsior" model that has been retouched to make it appear to be octagonal (much handier for an album cover!), a later version of the sleeve featured a proper octagonal Wheatstone Æola.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Lovely to read your comments. Thank you. Would you belive I still haven't heard the album! My wife discovered that we have visitors...mice...and their despatch has been prioritised. The album certainly looks fun - wish I was old enough to discover it first time around! However, I will treasure it. Already keeping it away from suspicious two-year-old-with-crayon.

To respond to a few comments, I've had a Dipper on order since I was 18 - let me see... that's 11 years. Mostly my fault though. Colin knew I didn't have the money initially - and I didn't know what I wanted - but he was good enough to put my name in "the book". A few years ago I asked if it was still there and he said "Oh yes" so we got to talking again and have been discussing my requirements for a while. I have a 28 key Jefferies which is a real gem, but I find it lacks a few critical keys and notes for some of the more creative pieces so Colin is going to build a 28 key and add on the extras. I belive his concertinas are the best available and are also a work of art. Can't wait!...well I can...and obviously I will.

Very interesting to read your comments, Larryo - We live out in Straffan the last while and I haven't played any tunes out here except in the house with my wife who plays fiddle. The butcher in the village is a fiddle player but we haven't organised a tune yet. Our son keeps us occupied and so we don't play in town much the last while. I used to play a few sessions in the Harcourt Hotel and pubs around Dublin. Keep meaning to go to the early session at the Cobblestone. Some day over the Christmas we're going to head in.

John - the keys do have the band members faces on.

Better get back to work.

all the best

Ciaran

I remember them from student parties in the '70's as a more Irish Thin Lizzie (I preferred Thin Lizzie); that's more or less agreeing with you isn't it, Hooves?

Yes, I suppose, however I am not famaliar with Thin Lizzy, though I have heard the name.

Bands I like more than Horslips, now that I am older and more musically expierenced, include Silly Wizard, Old Blind Dogs, Dan Beimborn, Mick Maloney, Lunasa, John Williams, the list goes on...

Mostly I play octave mandolin, the last few years I have been working with a B/C Irish button accordion and only dabbling with the concertina.