Should An Ameture Open A Concertina?

There are many things a sensible and careful amateur can do inside a concertina with impunity. This is a perfect example.

Work indoors on a flat surface (i.e., not a bed or a shag carpet) in case anything small and hard to find drops. Take the end off by removing the end bolts. On a vintage instrument, you'd want to keep track of which bolt was which, but on a Jackie, they're all the same. Get into the action box (where the other ends of the buttons are) by removing 2 screws that may be tricky to find (I don't know my way around a Jackie, so I don't know where they are).

Press the A and F# buttons to see what happens. You will probably see that the pads are abutting against each other. Figure out why and fix it.

Don't mess with the reeds, and don't use any oil or permanent glues on anything.

Don't leave it open over night. When putting it back together, make sure it's lined up right (not rotated 1/6 turn).

If you run into any problems or have any questions, post them here.

Edited by David Barnert

The Concertina FAQ has a section on repair techniques, and also details on how to get Dave Elliott's excellent Concertina Maintenance Manual. You shouldn't be afraid of opening your box up and doing repairs, but make sure you don't attempt anything beyond your skill, and take particular care of the reeds - more than half the value of your concertina is in the reeds.

Chris

I opened the Jackie and found that the "A" valve is underneath the "F#" key, and that the problem was interference between the F# kay and the A valve. A little bending and the problem went away.

Thanks to David Barnert and Chris Timson for the advice!

Also, I received an e-mail from the Concertina Connection directly, about possibly sending it back for repair. WOW! That counts as outstanding customer service! I hadn't even written to them and they found my message and they offered to help.

Again WOW!

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

Apparently there are two forms of action for the Jackie, one which is riveted which I have not yet seen, and now a riveted type.

I examined the non-riveted action, a series of cut out and bent aluminium plates forming a compact lever set. On the one I examined the 'A' button caused the F# to move as well. I felt that the problem may be a design issue, but could be alleviated by dressing the levers with a needle file. Clearly the same problem as you experienced.

If you instrument is 'new' or recently purchased from a trade or dealer source, I would NOT open it up as it is likely to be under warrenty, it is best to get the seller to have it repaired or adjusted.

As to the Jackie, how is the tuning on the instrument? Have you checked that the notes sound reasonably in tune? Try holding each button down in turn, and with the button depressed reverse the bellows a couple of times, for an English system (and Duet for that matter) there should be no discernable difference in note sound in either direction.

Dave

I hadn't thought about the possible warrantee problem with opening it up. I am not interested in hurting it, of course! But I live in San Diego, California, and I bought the Jackie from the Concertina Connection in the Netherlands. It seemed such a long way to ship it, though I have since realized that they also have an address in Spokan, Washington, so perhpas it would have gone there.

I hope I haven't voided the 100% value for trade in that they offer.

I will have a listen for the keys in each direction, like you have asked.

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"

• 1 month later...

I forgot to post, but the Jackie produces the same note push and pull.

Thanks to everyone who helped, the Jackie has been working perfectly ever since, and I am learning a lot about reading music and playing the Jackie.

Russell Hedges