Old Chestnut - Which One For A Singer?

I could always sell one of the kids. :o
:lol: I nearly made the same suggestion several posts back, but I don't know you well enough.

So it's decided then, I love a good consensus. Now which one should it be...eenie, meenie, miney, mo...no it's not good, I'll have to sell my handbag collection instead.

So it's decided then, I love a good consensus. Now which one should it be...eenie, meenie, miney, mo...no it's not good, I'll have to sell my handbag collection instead.

Good choice. William Styron (author of "Sophie's Choice") died this week.

[Edited to add the closing parenthesis

;)

Edited by David Barnert

[Edited to add the closing parenthesis

;)

I did chuckle slightly at the missing parethesis at the end of the word parenthesis.

I have seen that Chris Algar has a 46 key Lachenal Maccann duet for sale on ebay uk currently. My fingers are twitching. I wonder what it will go for.

46 Key Lachenal Maccann Duet on Ebay

It is not so far from Llangollen to Stoke-on Trent.

Give Chris Algar a ring and make an appointment to go and see what type and range of instruments he has available. I have known Chris for best part of 30 years and he has a reputation second to none. I am sure he will point you along the right path.

Regards

Dave

A good vintage instrument will certainly hold its value and would likely increase (as long as you buy at the right price).

Whereas kids will certainly depreciate in value as they get older :) Anyone want to trade me a nice anglo in return for my truculent teenager? No, I thought not ...

A good vintage instrument will certainly hold its value and would likely increase (as long as you buy at the right price).

Whereas kids will certainly depreciate in value as they get older :) Anyone want to trade me a nice anglo in return for my truculent teenager? No, I thought not ...

Ah,well in the true spirit of competition: I have three truculent teenagers, one of whom has a red-headed girlfriend called Roxanne who's bound to break his heart, an unpotty-trained toddler and a dog who thinks his name is 'Don't-do-it-there-dog!'. I think I could get a comb and some paper in exchange for the job lot. Mind you my granddad used to do quite well with a comb; he had no hair so he had to find some use for it.

I spoke with Chris Algar of Barleycorn Concertinas today and I will certainly be popping over to see him, thank you all for the encouragement. Among other things he pointed me towards Steve Turner's website. I'd never heard of him before and I'll look forward to having a listen to his accompaniments to vocal folk tunes. Half of me always feels ignorant for not knowing so very much about folk, the other half realises that the bliss of this ignorance is in the discovery.

If you have any money spare any cds by Spiers and Boden would be a sound (aghhhh !) investment, they are the driving force of Bellowhead. Though it may make you think what about a melodian. Maybe it is time to match the guitars with a range of reeds.

Regards

Trilby

If you have any money spare any cds by Spiers and Boden would be a sound (aghhhh !) investment, they are the driving force of Bellowhead. Though it may make you think what about a melodian. Maybe it is time to match the guitars with a range of reeds.

Regards

Trilby

We both really like the Bellowhead stuff and spiers and boden are on my christmas stocking list. Think about a melodian...hmm, oooh don't get me started! I was thinking about a crwth (welsh lyre) earlier today. I've been told to remember how many hours there are in the day. Oddly it was by one of my teenagers who knows exactly how many hours there are - one too few to do the washing up. :P

Regards

Trilby

We both really like the Bellowhead stuff and spiers and boden are on my christmas stocking list. Think about a melodian...hmm, oooh don't get me started! I was thinking about a crwth (welsh lyre) earlier today. I've been told to remember how many hours there are in the day. Oddly it was by one of my teenagers who knows exactly how many hours there are - one too few to do the washing up. :P

I forget which of those guys is the box player but I believe he plays anglo on some tracks (I think I read somewhere it was a Connor).

I forget which of those guys is the box player but I believe he plays anglo on some tracks (I think I read somewhere it was a Connor).

Exactly right, and very much in the English manner. John Spiers is the squeezebox player, widely known as "Squeezy".

As an aside, that baritone anglo on ebay still has a day and a half to go. I'm certain it will make a lovely song accompaniment box.

Chris

As an aside, that baritone anglo on ebay still has a day and a half to go. I'm certain it will make a lovely song accompaniment box.

Chris

I have been looking (crazed glint in eye :ph34r: ). Matt said last night 'How many times have you been on Ebay today?' He recognises a fellow musco's obsessions. I'm still undecided. It has been suggested that any of the systems will do just fine as long as I learn and love my instrument. I'm going to get over to Barleycorn in the next few weeks an have a fiddle around. I do need to be sensible still though even if we've realised the budget will be different. It must be said though I'm leaning towards an English or a Duet.

And I've seen Jon Boden, the fiddle player, playing a concertina in a session in Newcastle. I think it was a Mccann Duet.

I'm going to get over to Barleycorn in the next few weeks an have a fiddle around.

Much better to have a squeeze! :)

I might even try playing some instruments :lol:

I've been learning the English for about 18 months (at rather a mature age!!). I started off with a Jackie to see if I really wanted to play. After about 3 months, realising I was hooked, I went to Chris Algar and purchased a Wheatstone. I traded in the Jackie and he gave me what I paid for it.

He was very helpful, has a wealth of knowledge, and has loads of Concertinas to try out in all price ranges. If you tell him your budget he doesn't pressure you to spend more. I would really recommend him and he also has an excellent reputation selling on ebay.

Hope you get your Concertina soon. :)

Edited by ~Sarah~

I've been learning the English for about 18 months (at rather a mature age!!). I started off with a Jackie to see if I really wanted to play. After about 3 months, realising I was hooked, I went to Chris Algar and purchased a Wheatstone. I traded in the Jackie and he gave me what I paid for it.

He was very helpful, has a wealth of knowledge, and has loads of Concertinas to try out in all price ranges. If you tell him your budget he doesn't pressure you to spend more. I would really recommend him and he also has an excellent reputation selling on ebay.

Hope you get your Concertina soon. :)

Thank you Sarah! That was very helpful. The trade in is a valuable piece of information to me. Matt came home with a dulcimer/banjoy hybrid instrument called a strumstick at the weekend and I've been completely hooked since. It has a lovely folk feel to it and it's given me even more of a buzz to get back to my microphone. I'd taken time off singing to have my fourth child but have been itching sing and write in recent months. I think the strumstick will help and maybe a Jackie for a while. If I fall in love with it then I'll leave hints around for my 40th in 18 months to have something a bit more special.

I spoke to Chris Algar for a good chinwag, he is very approachable I agree. We both have musical sprogs so we talked generally about music and encouraging the young, as you say, there's no pressure there.