The Trouble With Anglo Concertina Availability

knock, Knock...

Is this the right room for an argument ?? :lol:

:ph34r:

D

I'm sorry, this is abuse. You want room 12A, just along the corridor.

Anyone want to buy a parrot?

:ph34r: :P :ph34r:

Reminds me of when one of my tutors at university defused an argument about the troubles in Northern Ireland by asking, loudly and nervously, "SATSUMAS ANYONE?" :lol:

knock, Knock...

Is this the right room for an argument ?? :lol:

:ph34r:

D

I'm sorry, this is abuse. You want room 12A, just along the corridor.

Anyone want to buy a parrot?

:ph34r: :P :ph34r:

No, no, no. Too silly. Start again.

I realize that quite a few members of this forum have some of the best Anglo concertinas around...

:D

Joshua

(please don't kill me)

Dear Mr Mccabe, I think if you are are as fine a player as you are a Merchant Banker [rhyming slang} you will be very successful and I look foreward to attending your performances.

Geoff

Actually his playing "ain't that bad". His profile has a link to his band with two CDs. It's worth a minit to listen. I hope we didn't scare him away with our "slight disagreement".

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

M3838

In all seriousness.. how can a Weltmeister at $1100 be a steal ?

Which model ?

I guess we all have a different idea of "value"

Jeff

In all seriousness, I think it may be like some manufacturers of other instruments - Weltmeister have I'm sure had good years and bad years. Not all "copies" of Western artifacts made in Soviet bloc times/factories were poor quality.

Samantha

In all seriousness, I think it may be like some manufacturers of other instruments - Weltmeister have I'm sure had good years and bad years. Not all "copies" of Western artifacts made in Soviet bloc times/factories were poor quality.

Samantha

I'm sure you're right Samantha.

The Weltmeister instruments I've encountered have been _really_ variable. I've played a couple of their Piano Accordions that I've been genuinely impressed by - great tone, and really good response. But I've also played some melodeons that ought to be melted down/burned/destroyed immediately. :ph34r: :lol:

This is like conkers without the safety goggles.

....don't forget the hard hat and chrome leather welders gauntlets B)

Dave

Remind me never to play conkers with you Dave :ph34r:

:lol:

I have fond memories... (at least I remember parts) of a weekend Morris Ale somewhere in the depth of Kent some years ago.

On the second evening, after a somewhat boozy all day dancing tour 80 or so lads settled into the hall for an evening of serious drinking, music and dancing (accent on the former). At about 2am some bright spark went out to the car and returned with a box containing a hundred and fifty or so, ready threaded conkers !

The ensuing mayhem and mirth had to be witnessed to be believed. :lol:

Some of us will never grow up !

Regards

Dave

At about 2am some bright spark went out to the car and returned with a box containing a hundred and fifty or so, ready threaded conkers !

Regards

Dave

For those of us on the other side of the big pond, what are "conkers" and why did they produce mayhem and mirth?

At about 2am some bright spark went out to the car and returned with a box containing a hundred and fifty or so, ready threaded conkers !

Regards

Dave

For those of us on the other side of the big pond, what are "conkers" and why did they produce mayhem and mirth?

Hi Gary,

This is a traditional schoolyard game.....taken very seriously by children and adults alike.

The conker is the hard nut from the Horse Chestnut tree and is perhaps a little smaller than a walnut.. It is drilled and threaded...traditionally onto one of your bootlaces, and while one player dangles his conker...it must be kept still, ...his opponent swings his own conker on it's string attempting to strike the other's.

All sorts of local variations to the rules .... most of which cause playground punch-ups from time to time.

A great game for broken fingers and busted knuckles

Now imagine 80 odd overgrown kids attempting this game after umpteen pints of ale and whiskey chasers.....as I said.... Mayhem and mirth :)

see here for more http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/conkers.html

Dave

Quite how this thread drifted here I know not... but who cares ?

Edited by Dave Prebble

Hi Gary,

This is a traditional schoolyard game.....taken very seriously by children and adults alike.

The conker is the hard nut from the Horse Chestnut tree and is perhaps a little smaller than a walnut.. It is drilled and threaded...traditionally onto one of your bootlaces, and while one player dangles his conker...it must be kept still, ...his opponent swings his own conker on it's string attempting to strike the other's.

All sorts of local variations to the rules .... most of which cause playground punch-ups from time to time.

A great game for broken fingers and busted knuckles

Now imagine 80 odd overgrown kids attempting this game after umpteen pints of ale and whiskey chasers.....as I said.... Mayhem and mirth :)

see here for more http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/customs/conkers.html

Dave

Quite how this thread drifted here I know not... but who cares ?

Guilty of thread drift! :)

Maybe this topic should be retitled "The Trouble With Conker Availability" :unsure: as it looks to be a problem the other side of "the pond".

Regards,

Peter.

I don't see the problem. Why can't beginner use good instruments? I think the whole discussion is ridiculous. If you're a beginner and are serious about playing, and can afford a good instrument, then go for it. It is easier to learn playing on a good instrument. I'm not an anglo but English player but I know the EC's are as expensive as the anglos. I have tried a few cheap anglos I came across in some shops and they were all awful, very tough to play, you could barely pull the bellows out. That's one of the troubles with cheaper instruments, they may be harder to play. A beginner needs an instrument that helps them to learn to play it, not one that actually prevents them from playing (in lousy sound, or no playability).

I consider myself being a beginner, I can play scales and a few tunes and chords. I have a Wheatstone from the 19th century, simply because I found it in a music shop. I didn't even know it was a Wheatstone when I bought it, I just wanted a concertina and that's what I found. I don't care about the name. I just want to be able to play. I wouldn't want an exclusive instrument because of the name or because it is expensive, but I want a reasonably good instrument. Everyone who wants to play deserves a reasonably good instrument, no matter what level they play at.