The Trouble With Anglo Concertina Availability

...... soon we will have midi/ virtual instruments ........

Gaagghhhheeeeuuuggghhhh - I hope not :ph34r:

I second that remark.

And I thought I was the reactionary old f*rt round here :lol:

When I can get round to it I intend to build a reedless 40 key 'anglo' for Accordion Magic to kit out as a midi.

Much looking forward to all the fun I can have with it at ceilidhs. switching from trombone to piccalo to bagpipes.... all in the same tune

Fear not - it will never replace the real concertina !

Regards

Dave

...... soon we will have midi/ virtual instruments ........

Gaagghhhheeeeuuuggghhhh - I hope not :ph34r:

I second that remark.

And I thought I was the reactionary old f*rt round here :lol:

When I can get round to it I intend to build a reedless 40 key 'anglo' for Accordion Magic to kit out as a midi.

Much looking forward to all the fun I can have with it at ceilidhs. switching from trombone to piccalo to bagpipes.... all in the same tune

Fear not - it will never replace the real concertina !

Regards

Dave

Will that be before or after your Fartaphone Base Concertina made from Harmonium reeds that made the house vibrate when you played them?

Al

I have an underutilized air concertina in the closet gathering dust I could donate to someone that's unworthy or too old for the real thing. I don't think it would need retuning, (no reeds). Shipping costs shouldn't be too much (perhaps EMail), and could help reduce my hoard (too many things operated on hot air). (guaranteed not to have been run over with my "truck test"). No humor intended, I'm serious.

It's the same model as this one:

http://www.gordfisch.net/music/oregans/mis...s/photo_01.html

. :P :blink:

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Hi, I've given this subject a lot of thought and more than a few cans of Boag's Draught.There is a "handicap " system used in Golf,Horse Racing,Athletics etc. which is designed to encourage both beginers and the more experienced. In Concertina concept ,the better you are the higher your handicap. This could be achieved by amputation of fingers [no thanks],removal of instrument buttons/reeds [no thankyou],addition of weights to players wrists [difficult to police] or EUREKA the best player gets the worst instrument.I am very bad. I know I am going to be inundated with offers of more top class instruments than I have room for and I promise to distribute these amongst the least/most deserving[after keeping the best for myself.] Please don't be offended ,it's all in fun. Regards Geoff.

.....Very interesting link; one or two nice tunes in the tune book.

Regards,

Peter.

PeterT

At least one or two. maybe a hundred. All listed at the top of the page under index. Nice music, nice site. :)

............EUREKA the best player gets the worst instrument.I am very bad. I know I am going to be inundated with offers of more top class instruments than I have room for and I promise to distribute these amongst the least/most deserving[after keeping the best for myself.] Please don't be offended ,it's all in fun. Regards Geoff.

Geoff

So far we have at least four suggestions:

1. Keep things as they are

2. Post #1 suggestion

3. Age based

4. Skill based handicapped

Is this how polls get started? With a suggestion to whoever submits a system they should be volunteering to administer the system. In any event personally I should do well. 1. I'm happy now. 2. My son paid me to stop one day so I guess that makes me a worthy professional, (hey money is money). 3. I'm 55. and 4. Chances are with a failing short term memory I can assure you that I would be right in front of you; if not I'll fight you for second place. :D

Thanks

Leo

So far we have at least four suggestions:

1. Keep things as they are

2. Post #1 suggestion

3. Age based

4. Skill based handicapped

How about means testing? Is it fair that a well-off player at any particular level of ability should have the chance to own a Concertina of a certain quality that might be unaffordable to another of equivalent ability but who is poorer? A system could be instigated whereby for a certain grade of instrument you have to pay a percentage of annual income - say 1% for a Stagi, 10% for a Morse or 25% for a Dipper?

Alternatively you could all give me your money & I'll decide who is most deserving :P

- W

.............Alternatively you could all give me your money & I'll decide who is most deserving :P

- W

I guess one suggestion is as good as another; but remember to play fair. I sort of, perhaps, wishy washy, maybe could be swayed to this idea. IF I didn't have to give up my concertina, and only pay the bribe to the administrator of the program. We could label it number 5. Also think of a cheap mother d'toilet covered Chinese. If I purchased one, does that mean it's below the threshold of payment, and the group would have to pay me. If it came to a vote, I'd still put my campaign efforts into the status quo. :lol:

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

This string was recommended to me for my husband who is on an ever-increasing march towards guitarist megalomania. I one played with a chap who dumped his girlfriend of three years because she called his 15 guitars "lumps of wood". I think mr McCabe is on some very dodgy ground in that he is messing with a musicans right to be a musician (and that includes all the obsessive buying that may or may not come with it). Don't argue with a woman who wants new shoes. :angry: and don't tell a musician what they can or can't play, especially if they've saved their own sweetie money to buy it.

Mr McCabe reminds me greatly of my 15 year old son. :blink: He is a born arguer, he does it for the hell of it and could argue in an empty room. He uses big words and sophisticated arguments to win his point and to some extent I admire his ability. What he doesn't realise (because of his youth) is that being clever at arguing does not make you right. I have a great deal of tolerance for my son's traits and even his misguided arguments, mostly because he's my son and because he's young. Mr McCabe does not hold court in the same way as a mother's son. Peers are rarely as tolerant as your mum, particularly when you (regardless of the sophistication of your argument skills) are basically trying to tell people what to do.

I could say something silly like "I'm glad that we live in a free society". However, I'm far too sensible to say such things. So what I will say is this. I work hard, my husband works hard and life is short. If he or I want to spent 100% of the amount we can afford to buy the best quality instrument for ourselves so that we can continue to feel human and creative and eek joy out of a hard day, then why shouldn't we? I shouldn't because I'm learning? Hmm. He shouldn't because he no longer makes a living out of music, therefore he's not serious? Hmm.

See I'm not clever enough to argue with Mr McCabe and appear to win but I reckon I deserve what ever I work for whether that's pushing bits of paper around or pushing buttons. Now what does this button do....

..................I could say something silly like "I'm glad that we live in a free society". However, I'm far too sensible to say such things.............

See I'm not clever enough to argue with Mr McCabe and appear to win but I reckon I deserve what ever I work for whether that's pushing bits of paper around or pushing buttons. Now what does this button do....

Missing Song

Unfortunately I'm not sensible at all. You're doing a fine job, and it sounds like you're clever enough for me. Keep up the good work. Thanks for joing our friendly discussion. Like Boney let me echo "well said" :)

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

..................I could say something silly like "I'm glad that we live in a free society". However, I'm far too sensible to say such things.............

Missing Song

Unfortunately I'm not sensible at all. You're doing a fine job. Keep up the good work. Like Boney let me echo "well said"

Thanks

Leo

In the world of concertinas and guitars perhabs it is correct.

But in the world of above mentioned violins how whould you feel about top notch musicians playing low end chinese fiddles, while eager amateurs squeak top notch violins? Kind of ridiculous, isn't it? Who knows, may be in some short while, you wan't be able to buy top notch concertinas with your hard earned money?

Pure speculation, out of touch with reality. Something like enviroment friendly millionare driving around in 12 cylinder Jaguar, telling people how to preserve nature.

I think little too much was implied and not read careful enough from McCaby's posts. He is incorrect with his impressions of reality, but his argument also contained wider spectrum of ideas, going beyond "It's my money, I want to spend it as I please".

But it's becoming boring.

In the world of concertinas and guitars perhabs it is correct.

But in the world of above mentioned violins how whould you feel about top notch musicians playing low end chinese fiddles, while eager amateurs squeak top notch violins? Kind of ridiculous, isn't it? Who knows, may be in some short while, you wan't be able to buy top notch concertinas with your hard earned money?

Pure speculation, out of touch with reality. Something like enviroment friendly millionare driving around in 12 cylinder Jaguar, telling people how to preserve nature.

I think little too much was implied and not read careful enough from McCaby's posts. He is incorrect with his impressions of reality, but his argument also contained wider spectrum of ideas, going beyond "It's my money, I want to spend it as I please".

But it's becoming boring.

I wasn't quite sure what he was arguing, so I asked and received a clarification (post 39). His arguments were, and are still plain to me. You're correct in your millionaire analogy. So Mr. Gore, an ex vice president in the US, and multi milionaire, shouldn't be a champion of that subject. He doesn't ride on a bus. He only rides around in a limousine. I think that the loose use of analogies unfortunately led us off topic for a while. It's easy to do. So I'll leave that for another forum. The only comment is a meager understanding of planets in general, so I'll ask How will the harnessing of the environment on the earth correct the shrinking ice caps on the planet Mars. They are shrinking by the way. It makes me think of another cause.

I'm not bored, in fact I'm kind of enjoying the conversation.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Whey you say:

But in the world of above mentioned violins how whould you feel about top notch musicians playing low end chinese fiddles, while eager amateurs squeak top notch violins?

are you responding to this:

EUREKA the best player gets the worst instrument.

Because that was a joke. Making fun of the idea that concertinas should be distributed by some "master plan." Obviously they can't be.

Sure, there are a few hoarders around, and jealousy can rise, and you can wonder what can be "done." But the impetus behind these hoarders is the same one that's led to an explosion of new makers over the last few years. You have to take the good with the bad, surely it's not too hard to suffer a few happy hoarders.

Guest Peter Laban
Sure, there are a few hoarders around, and jealousy can rise, and you can wonder what can be "done." But the impetus behind these hoarders is the same one that's led to an explosion of new makers over the last few years. You have to take the good with the bad, surely it's not too hard to suffer a few happy hoarders.

Maybe you don't see the effect on the ground as often as some of us do: the really good twelve to fifteen year old struggling with Gremlins and Marcus etc instruments at classes and summerschools while the middleaged guys arrive with three top class instruments under their arm, barely able to hammer out an off rhythm version of the Breeches full of Stitches. It's easy to get a feeling something has gone lopsided when you see that, that there's a certain injustice in it and that things ideally should be different. There's no point though, things being what they are. So no point complaining until the cows come home. ;)