Jedcertina On Ebay

John Sylte

Same notes push and pull I presume?

That's right. Various German and English makers built "chromatic system" piano-fingered concertinas over the years. The model was patented, in London, in 1862 (July 9.-No.1976) by Charles Frederick William Rust, acting for the German manufacturer Ferdinand Glier. They were later made by both George Jones and Lachenal & Co. (I even saw a Wheatstone Æola version once !), but the system has always been flawed, as it is not possible for anyone to play with their thumbs on a concertina, making the instrument pretty useless to a keyboard player, for whom it was supposedly intended.

The Jedcertina was a late version of the design, made by Lachenal's (& later by Harry Crabb), for J.E.Dallas & Son of London, who used the brand name "Jedson". This one appears to have the Erinoid (plastic) buttons that Lachenal's started to use in the late 1920s.

A forum search on "Jedcertina" will lead you to various older threads about them.

I searched for "Jedcertina" on here before I posted and only got two of the 15 or so hits that your link took me to. Not sure how my search was different than yours, it was obviously not the same though. Had I known it had been previously discussed at such length, I wouldn't have brought it to everyone's attention!

Thanks Stephen-

I searched for "Jedcertina" on here before I posted and only got two of the 15 or so hits that your link took me to. Not sure how my search was different than yours, it was obviously not the same though. Had I known it had been previously discussed at such length, I wouldn't have brought it to everyone's attention!

Thanks Stephen-

John

There are two ways to search, each producing different results. I've use them both and can't tell which one is better. The first is on the top line next to help. It opens a new page with options. The second is below the banner add with go next to it. I think one is a quick search with only the topics that contain the search term and the other is the individual posts listed. :unsure:

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

The instrument as shown on ebay has only two rows (1 Octave) per side but I know that Mike Acott has one which has four rows (2 Octaves) per side. He recently took it to Whitney and a keyboard player picked it up and began playing with absolutely no difficulty - despite not being able to use his thumbs!

As I'd never come across one before I would be interested to know its likely value?

Any guesses from the boxers out there?

Simon Rosser

• 2 years later...
The instrument as shown on ebay has only two rows (1 Octave) per side but I know that Mike Acott has one which has four rows (2 Octaves) per side. He recently took it to Whitney and a keyboard player picked it up and began playing with absolutely no difficulty - despite not being able to use his thumbs!

As I'd never come across one before I would be interested to know its likely value?

Any guesses from the boxers out there?

Simon Rosser

If there is only one row of white buttons on each side, the general opinion is that it scores low on playability.

With one extra octave on each side the playability may be higher, and it will attract more players, hence competing bidders.

What to say about a price gamble, I would say the average value would be less than for an english concertina of the same quality

(but who can tell what the quality of this specific concertina on ebay is?)

Marien.

• 3 weeks later...