Decent Pictures Of Morse Ceili

Marcus

Real Photos not promotional shots

Not sure what you're looking for. If I were to take pics of my Morse, they'd look like the ones on the BB Web site, only not as good.

Exactly, I'd like to see it warts and all. How do you find the Morse?

Exactly, I'd like to see it warts and all. How do you find the Morse?

It doesn't have many warts; after a year of use, mine looks pretty much like the one in the BB pic. A few scratches, a ding where a dancer ran into me, but probably nothing that would show up in anything but the most detailed photo. THe bellows look new, except for some dust.

How do I find it? Like every hybrid instrument, it has its plusses and minuses.

On the positive side: very light. Much easier on my tendons than my other instruments, which is why I bought it. Very good, smooth action. Apparently very durable; mine is used mostly for Morris dancing, which means inclement weather and getting bounced around, and it's never needed repair or adjustment.

It is as easy to play as my Dipper-refitted vintage concertina.

Minus: although the sound of hybrid boxes has improved, its still doesn't have the pure tone of a box with real concertina reeds.

I have a G/D, and the sound is loud but not penetrating; it is hard to hear over the noise of the other instruments, the bells and the sticks. Part of the problem is the lower pitch of the G/D, and it might turn out I'd be really satisfied with nothing short of a Jeffries.

The case it came with is lousy, without much padding and with a single latch that is far too easy to flick open accidentally. I don't use it. I keep meaning to replace the latch, but haven't gotten around to it.

Having tried all the modern hybrids, I believe they are all good instruments, each with some special strengths.

But it's also a mistake to buy one thinking it will sound the same as a Dipper. Hybrids sound nice, but different.

Edited by Jim Besser

Strange that you asked what it looked like rather than what it sounded like :)

Anyway - there is a recording here. I don't know if there are any others...

The Morse English(?) that I saw a few years ago looked very neat and well made, and quite pretty too (just like in the BB pics). I wouldn't worry about quality from that point of view. The only question is whether it has the sound and feel you want.

The Morse English(?) that I saw a few years ago looked very neat and well made, and quite pretty too (just like in the BB pics). I wouldn't worry about quality from that point of view. The only question is whether it has the sound and feel you want.

I like the way it sounds having heard the recording on the recorded links page. The reason I asked what it really looked like was because I have no chance of viewing concertinas other than my own Stagi here in Bermuda and although sound and response are the most important, the look is also important...I guess that is why there are so many options when buying a more expensive concertina.

I know the Morse boxes are supposedly mid-range, but they are still expensive and when making the decision asthetics are to be considered!

I like the way it sounds having heard the recording on the recorded links page. The reason I asked what it really looked like was because I have no chance of viewing concertinas other than my own Stagi here in Bermuda and although sound and response are the most important, the look is also important...I guess that is why there are so many options when buying a more expensive concertina.

I know the Morse boxes are supposedly mid-range, but they are still expensive and when making the decision asthetics are to be considered!

If you like high gloss polish - Wakker is for you.

If you like matte finish - Morse.

Haven't seen Edgley, but I guess it looks good. Esp. with metal ends.

I don't see where you can lose by choosing either one.

Those makers have return period. So you can order them, look and evaluate, then return back if not liked.

I personally like Morse look better. I am not great fan of grabbing the high gloss polish and leaving finger marks everywhere.

THe Morses, Edgleys and Tedrows all look very nice. The Tedrows offer more options in appearance. But you probably won't be unhappy with any of them.

Personally, I like the black-finish Morses, but didn't get one because they were out of the wood and I didn't want to wait for my G/D.

True story: A very well-known Irish musician sat in on our session recently. He was around the corner of the table from me, two or three feet away at most. At one point he leaned over and asked:

"Is that a Jeffries? ... Or a Lachenal?"

He was referring to my Morse. :)

Now, those who know concertinas would never make that mistake. But I took his remark as a sign that he liked how it looks and sounds, at least in the context of a noisy session.

True story: A very well-known Irish musician sat in on our session recently. He was around the corner of the table from me, two or three feet away at most. At one point he leaned over and asked:

"Is that a Jeffries? ... Or a Lachenal?"

He was referring to my Morse. :)

Heck, it wasn't the concertina, it was your outstanding playing