I Need Some Advice.

ok well i ordered what i tohught was a good deal on ebay based on prices ive seen.

Hohner panther, adjustable leather neckstrap, instructional booklet, and instructional video

all for about $380. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...N%3AIT&rd=1

but now someone suggests i should get a Hohner Pockerwork. i have been looking for a couple sminutes now and cant find one for nearly that price. so heres the questions guys

WHAT TO DO? keep my current order, or cnacel it and continue... the hunt...?

i need answers fast.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

wow. i hate ebay. well i ordered that package, and now i had to dcall the guy, give him 20 dollars payment for shipping so he goes to chase the truck down and take the accordion off it. and thats all cancelled and i dont really know my way around it so pushing buy it now has some consequences. and now my dad bought soem accordion from some guy at his work for $100 and he said it sbig and told me to cancel what i ordered a few days ago and blah blah. so now im stuck with an accordion, i still dont know what kind it is. " youl have to see saturday, i dont know anything about these"

i hate this mess.

wow. i hate ebay. well i ordered that package, and now i had to dcall the guy, give him 20 dollars payment for shipping so he goes to chase the truck down and take the accordion off it. and thats all cancelled and i dont really know my way around it so pushing buy it now has some consequences. and now my dad bought soem accordion from some guy at his work for $100 and he said it sbig and told me to cancel what i ordered a few days ago and blah blah. so now im stuck with an accordion, i still dont know what kind it is. " youl have to see saturday, i dont know anything about these"

i hate this mess.

Guys, come down. What's the rush?

Panther is OK. Not great or anything, but certainly OK, if it is in tune. For this reason it's good that you cancelled the Ebay deal. If you are banned from ebay for ethernity for this - not big of a loss.

Your Dad bought some large Piano Accordion, used and of uncertain quality.

Tell your Dad to cancel that deal either. So you'll be quit.

Never buy any instrument sight unseen. Piano Accordions from the 50es are plentiful and most of them is junk, and have been junk even when new.

Buy from a 'reputable' 'dealer'. One, who 1. plays the thing

2. fixes the thing for living. 3. Imports and distributes the thing. Then you'll be in good hands.

My opinion: for the cool band setting, for the hauling the instrument around - you need smaller, but more powerful diatonic button accordion. Hohner Pokerwork would be the best - it's good, loud, sturdy, small and growling. It's action is fast and it's rather easy to play.

And they are plentiful, in many tunings, but the lowest and very common is 2 row G/C.

Focus!

Check out Theo's website. He has very nice looking 4 voice one row Hohner. Speaking about the power!

He also sells 2row Hohners with 4 buttons on third row. These buttons are chromatic notes, so you'll be able to play mostly any music in many keys (more or less). And he's the guy to trust!

If I were you, I'd get one row Hohner, bring it to the band, askk them to play and push some buttons along, to see if they play diatonically and in your key. If so, you'll be a happy camper. Otherwise get two row/half in G/C.

I'm pretty sure what my dad got me was a Gabanelli Chromatic accordion, he didnt just get it from someone on the street he got it from a friend of his at work. since he said there was about 150 buttons on one side. well yeah il just learn off that. more word once i get it tommarow.

Edited by Repth

Hey Repth

Congratulations! If that Gabanelli's in good shape, you've got a box that will build your upper body strength :lol: besides make any kind of music you want. You should find a teacher but until you do this site might be useful.

http://www.thecipher.com/chromatic-accordion-cipher.html

Listen to Boozoo Chavez play one of those.

Good luck.

talked to my dad on the phoen just now and ; my bad its not a gabenelli, its a Scandalli chromatic. made in italy and he said its worth much more than just $100. The guy said some girl wanted to buy it for 400 but he wanted to sell it to me to keep the spirit of playing the accordion going. my dad said it was about 2 feet tall. O.O

i can't wait to see it. il get a picture of it and post it up here haha!

talked to my dad on the phoen just now and ; my bad its not a gabenelli, its a Scandalli chromatic. made in italy and he said its worth much more than just $100. The guy said some girl wanted to buy it for 400 but he wanted to sell it to me to keep the spirit of playing the accordion going. my dad said it was about 2 feet tall. O.O

i can't wait to see it. il get a picture of it and post it up here haha!

Dad's are cool like that. I played an Accordion as a child and stopped about your age. Other things got in the way. (Wish it didn't). Hope it does what you want. Chances are, it will. Of course you're not too anxious are you? :lol:

Are you sure you can play Punk on an Italian Accordion? Rumor has it that you can only play "Italian Music" on it. :( :lol: ;) B)

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

talked to my dad on the phoen just now and ; my bad its not a gabenelli, its a Scandalli chromatic. made in italy and he said its worth much more than just $100.

Hey, that's not bad news, that's good news. Scandalli are top makers with a big international reputation, I'm not surprised somebody else is offering $400 for it; whereas Gabbanelli are little-known outside Tex-Mex circles. It sounds like you're getting a superb accordion for half the price of some Chinese piece of junk, though it may need money spending on it..

It should sound great, and the chromatic system is excellent once you've mastered it, allowing you to play in any key, and more easily than on a piano accordion. But the diatonic accordions (like those you first asked about) are smaller, lighter & more intuitive to play, though only in certain keys.

A Scandalli Chromatic in good condition is worth a lot more than $400

IF : it is a 5 row. and a "C" system and in tune with good action and no leaks, at least 3 reeds on the treble side

Chromatics are very cool instruments and logical

IF it has a 120 bass ( common) or a 96 these are large and heavy but they make a lot of music... the choice of many if not most French and Italian pros.

http://www.accordionpage.com/diskant.html

Edited by Jeff H

yeahh i love this thing! sounds like bagpipes and an organ!

Congratulations!!

Well OK does it have buttons, or piano keys on the right. What does it look like. An organ I would think would be pretty heavy to hold. What color is it? Etc., Etc., Etc. :o :blink:

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

ok, here it is. the piano accordion.

That's a cool-looking accordion, probably made in the late 1940s. B)

which appearently is not chromatic.

No, a piano accordion is chromatic, but it isn't "a chromatic", which is a system of button accordion, and what Laitch, Jeff H and myself thought you meant when you described it as "a Scandalli chromatic".

Here's a picture of a Scandalli chromatic, so you can get an idea of what one looks like:

zcromol.jpg

i have some reading to do...

No matter how much you know, there's always more to learn ... ;)

Edited by Stephen Chambers

Repth

Now might be a good time to expand your search and concentrate on learning how to play your new acquisition. There is a "Chicago Accordion Club" that might be helpful. I don't know anything about them other than their name.

This might be interesting to you:

http://www.accordionapocalypse.com/index.p...ticle&sid=5

Or this:

http://www.accordionlinks.com/rock.cfm

Or you might find something here:

http://www.harpexpress.com/accordionsqueezebox-resources.htm

There is a big world of information out there just waiting to be found.

Good luck; Play Well

Thanks

Leo

Now for my own clarification: There are two type of "Button Accordions" diatonic, and chromatic. There is also "Piano Accordion" a descriptive term by definition means that it is chromatic, but not "a chromatic". (So much to learn! I think I got it straight.)

Edited by Leo