Jeffries Bros. Duet-concertina

Juanita wolff

first bid:

bignick has sent you this email from

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php.

Hi Juanita!

I am Nick Robertshaw (bignick) and have been following, and responding

to, the thread that you started on Concertina.net.

I would like to offer you $3,750 for the instrument. (equivalent to the

2000 pounds the group seems to have settled on for a fair price).

If you want to let people know that you have this offer in hand, and

even that it's from me, that's OK. You might get a better one and, who

knows, a bidding war might ensue.

I live in Frederick, Maryland (although I am English) and I'm sure we

can contrive a way to conduct the transaction that we are both

comfortable with.

Good luck!

Nick

I've noticed that I inadvertently posted two different deadline dates for the sale of the Jeffries Bros Duet Concertina, 50-key that is posted here and also on the Buy & Sell classified ads details.

On this one, I've listed the 5th of October.

On the Buy & sell classified ads, I've listed 7th of October.

So I will make it the 7th of October for listings at BOTH locations.

And I suppose I should put a time on it, too?

So, How's about by 5 PM New Mexico time (Mountain standard time, USA)

Sorry I wasn't more explicit when originally posted.

Juanita Wolff

I've noticed that I inadvertently posted two different deadline dates for the sale of the Jeffries Bros Duet Concertina, 50-key that is posted here and also on the Buy & Sell classified ads details.

On this one, I've listed the 5th of October.

On the Buy & sell classified ads, I've listed 7th of October.

So I will make it the 7th of October for listings at BOTH locations.

And I suppose I should put a time on it, too?

So, How's about by 5 PM New Mexico time (Mountain standard time, USA)

Sorry I wasn't more explicit when originally posted.

Juanita Wolff

• 3 weeks later...

I confess. It was I!

The instrument is a delight and seems to be happy to be singing again:

http://www.forepath.org/JeffriesDuet.mp3

Those of you with perfect pitch will detect right away that the instrument is in C-half-sharp, C and a Bit, or A=452 Hz.

So, who would like to tune it up to D? Steve Dickenson did my other JD (which was originally a tone lower than this one) and the results were wonderful and bright and loud and even.

It probably could use some fresh felt in the action too as it is quite clicky.

Nick

So, who would like to tune it up to D? Steve Dickenson did my other JD (which was originally a tone lower than this one) and the results were wonderful and bright and loud and even.

It probably could use some fresh felt in the action too as it is quite clicky.

Nick

More than happy to take on the job if you would like to mortgage your house to pay for the shipping..... :rolleyes:

I promise not to convert it to an anglo.... :ph34r:

Then again, I have only a 3 or 4 week backlog at the moment as I've been knocking jobs back to reduce it from where it was earlier this year.... :D

MC

Me too.

Chris

Just thought I'd post a genuine "me too" post. :)

Aw gee thanks guys. My first internet me-too storm!

Seriously though. Who should I ask to undertake the tuning, assuming that I want to get it done on the North American continent (not to impugn Malcolm's tuning, I'm sure the switch in magnetic field direction between here and Oz won't have too big an effect, I'm just nervous about the potential loss or damage in shipping (and, yes, the cost))

It's a lovely box and it needs to be done by someone with a great ear for voicing and balance and who owns those little files made of unobtanium that can mark Jeffries reeds. As I mentioned, Steve D did my last rework and an up-tune of a tone and a half and it's still playing strong after more than 25 years! I should also mention that I'm not good at waiting (I bought this box because my Dipper is a tad overdue). So, how is Malcolm's work?

Feel free to re-locate this thread if you think it will be happier somewhere else.

Nick

Aw gee thanks guys. My first internet me-too storm!

Seriously though. Who should I ask to undertake the tuning, assuming that I want to get it done on the North American continent (not to impugn Malcolm's tuning, I'm sure the switch in magnetic field direction between here and Oz won't have too big an effect, I'm just nervous about the potential loss or damage in shipping (and, yes, the cost))

It's a lovely box and it needs to be done by someone with a great ear for voicing and balance and who owns those little files made of unobtanium that can mark Jeffries reeds. As I mentioned, Steve D did my last rework and an up-tune of a tone and a half and it's still playing strong after more than 25 years! I should also mention that I'm not good at waiting (I bought this box because my Dipper is a tad overdue). So, how is Malcolm's work?

Feel free to re-locate this thread if you think it will be happier somewhere else.

Nick

I don't know if he's still directly in the repair business or not, or if he would do tuning on instruments other than those he himself has sold, but I would recommend Paul Groff. I'm on my second Groff restored and tuned box would highly recommend his work to anyone.

-David

I admire Paul Groff's work but I know first hand that his policy has been not to work on instruments that he hasn't personally sold to customers. I suppose you could ask Paul. He does love Jeffries.

I have a Jeffries duet and a C/G Jeffries that I bought from Malcolm Clapp. Both instruments are wonderful.

The man knows what he is doing! (At least as far as concertinas are concerned! Right, Malcolm?) Malcolm is quite forthright in his opinions and honest and trustworthy in his dealings.

As mentioned, the only problem is that he is on the other side of the world from us!

I think Nick is correct in being concerned about voicing and tuning nuance. The Jeffries duet lives for chords and they should sound big and glorious.

Let us know how it all turns out.

Best of luck,

Greg

[

Nick

I don't know if he's still directly in the repair business or not, or if he would do tuning on instruments other than those he himself has sold, but I would recommend Paul Groff. I'm on my second Groff restored and tuned box would highly recommend his work to anyone.

-David

Thanks very much David, it's a pleasure to contribute to the work of such a talented and promising young player. However, I don't work on instruments except for my retail customers and students.

Nick, since you have asked for suggestions, I have three ideas. Do NOT mean to impugn anyone by omitting them here -- I'm sure many would do a good job for you -- but speaking from my limited experience with other restorers,

1) Colin Dipper is my closest friend, hero, and mentor in concertina tuning and for that reason I always suggest calling him. My sense is that he is overworked and refusing new repair jobs also, but why not ask him yourself?

2) You mention a concern with shipping costs, and with cost in general. In North America, call the Button Box; I'm sure they will do excellent work and will save you on shipping. However, while on this subject, be careful what you communicate about your desire for inexpensive repairs (and this applies to any repairperson). For a top quality instrument I would always advise that you adopt the perspective that trying to go cheap on restoration may cost you much more in value over the long term. In the case of this instrument, anyone who works on it should be told that you don't want "the minimum," but want their best work even if more time-consuming and expensive. The quality and nature of repair work on a fine instrument obviously influence its sound and playability, but (especially if there is a major rise in prices, as with Jeffries anglos, pre-war Martin guitars, etc.) can sometimes affect resale worth by an order of magnitude!

3) You mention how much you appreciate Steve Dickenson's work on your other duet. If you know that he does them in a way that you like, why not give him your business again? Maybe like some other repairers he is not taking on work because the standard rates don't really make it worth his while (this is just speculation since I don't know him), but if he is hesitant to work with you again I would consider offering him a substantial premium. I bet that all the work he did for you, that has kept you playing for decades, seems ridiculously cheap now (perhaps to you, perhaps to him...), so why not reward him with your business and a big bonus to be paid if the work is completed very promptly.

Moral of story, never ask for advice....;-)