Concertina Convention

Many of us older players will remember with affection the Concertina Conventions organised by Neil Wayne and other enthusiasts in the UK in the 1970's.These events kick started the concertina revival and were directly responsible for the current healthy state of the concertina scene.

To run alongside the 2007 music weekend I am considering organising a "Concertina Convention"which will bring together concertina makers, repairers, those interested in the history of the instrument and players.Geoff Crabb has been a great supporter of the weekend and Jurgen Suttner attended the 2005 event and has indicated he will be coming to the 2007 weekend.I also hope to attract a number of other repairers and makers.

Would any of you support such an event?The cost of the 2007 weekend will be £20 per person.This will include entry to all events.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.The proposed dates for the 2007 weekend will be Friday 10th,Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th August as long as this does not clash with the dates of the Mrs Crotty Festival.

Please post here or email directly.

...Would any of you support such an event?The cost of the 2007 weekend will be £20 per person.This will include entry to all events.

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.The proposed dates for the 2007 weekend will be Friday 10th,Saturday 11th & Sunday 12th August as long as this does not clash with the dates of the Mrs Crotty Festival.

Please post here or email directly.

Yes, I would support such an event. The 1970's conventions contributed greatly to my concertina knowledge and forged friendships which have lasted years.

Howard Mitchell

It's really unfortunate that the timing is so difficult. Its not a good time of year for those of us with families who want to go off elsewhere and particularly those of us who are in or have partners in the teaching profession since this is one of the most popular times for the summer holiday. Its an annual battle for me to persuade "err indoors" that Bradfield is THE place to be when the sun is shining in France or Italy etc. although so far I've managed to arrange things around it. Not very hopeful for 2007 though :angry:

In addition to the above there is also very strong competition from the likes of Sidmouth closely followed by I think Dartmoor which almost certainly keep a considerable number of folks away which is really a crying shame as Bradfield is great festival in one of the most beautiful parts of Central England.

Please consider moving it to a different weekend Mark, even to the beginning of the season, e.g. March or April. I'm sure you won't regret it.

Besides, it always seems to rain for that weekend in August :(

Pete

Please consider moving it to a different weekend Mark, even to the beginning of the season, e.g. March or April. I'm sure you won't regret it.

I can understand why Mark prefers to have his weekend in the summer, given the location which is spectacular (I've never forgotten the outdoor sessions the year the ECMW came to Bradfield), but would echo Pete's plea. I really would like to come to the convention, but the conjunction with Sidmouth means that it just isn't going to happen for me and for a lot of southern concertina players.

Chris

Hi Mark,

I shall be there as ever.

I did note at the last weekend there seemed to be considerable interest in changing the date to earlier in the season. Always a risk with the weather I know, but when you live in the clouds there are no garruantees at any time of the year.

Regards

Dave

hi there mark

please do not change the date as ( b hawes and tony dunn) from the south coast are making plans

to come to your great event just to see if the beer and pies are as good as dave said they are.

and lots of concertina playing !

cplayer