South African Wheatstone

Larryo

Hi all,

Looking for some help ! I am just starting out on c/g concertina, playing Irish trad and have currently just for a few days the loan of an old one of no particular make. A copy of a Jeffries I believe. And I have played whistle so I have the tunes. However, I know very few concertina player and so the request for advice. Am currently looking at Normans, Edgely etc but am doing okay so delay in waiting would be a problem as I would like to move on what I have learnt. I have been offered the chance to buy what I am told is a Wheatstone which went to South Africa or was made there ??? Can anyone throw some light on these for me? Are they any good or are there any inherent problems with them? The price is 3000€. I appreciate any advice. thank you

Some of the SA Wheatstones are made up of parts from defunct instruments. Sometimes successfully sometimes not. I'd be sure you could take it on approval and not get stuck with something that really wasn't worth much to play. I've played some that I would have only bought wih an eye to completely overhauling it.

Dana

Hi all,

Looking for some help ! I am just starting out on c/g concertina, playing Irish trad and have currently just for a few days the loan of an old one of no particular make. A copy of a Jeffries I believe. And I have played whistle so I have the tunes. However, I know very few concertina player and so the request for advice. Am currently looking at Normans, Edgely etc but am doing okay so delay in waiting would be a problem as I would like to move on what I have learnt. I have been offered the chance to buy what I am told is a Wheatstone which went to South Africa or was made there ??? Can anyone throw some light on these for me? Are they any good or are there any inherent problems with them? The price is 3000€. I appreciate any advice. thank you

Who's selling? If it's Barleycorn or another reputable dealer, you're probably ok. If it's a private party, especially a non-player, make sure you get someone who really knows concertinas to check out the instrument before making your final decision.

Hi all,

Thank you everybody