John Williams At Sebastapol

Hooves

Just got back from the Sebastopol Celtic festival in California. I got a chance to see John Williams play. Mostly he played his button accordion, but he did play a few tunes with his concertina (which looked to me to be a lachenal, but I suspect it is a custom job).

He played several songs from his album "Steam" and with his guitarist played a few songs from his newest album "Raven", which I would have bought and got signed, but I was tapped out (I waisted 8$ on the worst fish n chips I have ever had).

Although I took several photos, virtually none of the photos of John came out, just a blur of the metal end of his accordion, and couldn't get in close for a concertina shot, but it was still fun to see him there.

~Hooves

Edited by Hooves

Just got back from the Sebastopol Celtic festival in California. I got a chance to see John Williams play. Mostly he played his button accordion, but he did play a few tunes with his concertina (which looked to me to be a lachenal, but I suspect it is a custom job).

Just when I have assimilated the fact that the classical guitarist did not write the blockbuster film themes, along comes another John Wiliams to confuse me! :P :P

- John Wild

Edited by John Wild

Just when I have assimilated the fact that the classical guitarist did not write the blockbuster film themes, along comes another John Wiliams to confuse me! :P :P

And the guitarist in the photos isn't John Williams either :)

Edit: Or is he?!?!

Edited by RatFace

And the guitarist in the photos isn't John Williams either :)

Edit: Or is he?!?!

Sorry, that is Dean McGraw (Guitar) with John Williams. Dean is on the Raven CD, but I'm not sure if they together constitute the band "Solas" or are both members of it (need to read some liner notes). I haven't bought the "Raven" CD yet, but alot of people confuse Ravens, Crows, and Black Birds, perhaps they should have named the CD "Magpie" and changed thier name to "Heckel and Jeckel". That would end all confusion, and perhaps attract a different audience...

post-2342-1159554764_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hooves

According to the liner notes of "Steam," John plays Dipper concertinas. So I think very much a custom job! :rolleyes:

According to the liner notes of "Steam," John plays Dipper concertinas. So I think very much a custom job! :rolleyes:

John has a C/G Jeffries and Dipper as well as a Dipper of lower pitch. Can't remember if it's Bb/F or Ab/Eb.

I've played both his C/G concertinas and they are amazing instruments. The accidental row on his Dipper is has reeds pitched a half step above the C row. I forget what this layout is called, but it's the only time I've ever encountered it.