Ec: Simon Thoumire-keep It Up-on Safari Cd

BruceB

Hi everyone,

I just received two CD's, both by the Scottish band, Keep It Up. Simon Thoumire is one of the muscians in the band. On Safari is great, I haven't listened to the other one yet. Simon's playing is much more traditional on this recording for the most part. He's very much a part of the band, he and the fiddle player, Ellidh Shaw out front, with guitar and bouzoukie backing them up.

Anyone interested in playing traditional music on the EC should give this a listen. I never get the impression that Simon is trying to sound even slightly like an anglo. Here is a recording that shows one way of playing the EC in a trad setting. Excellent stuff.

bruce b.

I agree (though not with the anglo comment!) - it's perhaps the best recording I've heard of English concertina in a group - when playing alongside the fiddle the phrasing and style blend together and complement each other perfectly. When playing solo it's.... well... Simon Thoumire (yay!!).

Hi Ratface,

Interesting. Does this mean that you feel Simon *IS*trying to imitate an anglo in some way?

I think he uses the bellows just the way an EC player would. When I've heard EC players trying to sound like a Itrad anglo player they do a lot more quick bellows changes like an anglo player does.

I also don't get the feeling his ornamentation is based on anglo ornaments, but instead gives his playing that unique Simon sound. His playing on the On Safari CD does seem to have less of his lightning quick repeated notes when he's blending with the fiddle.

This is a minor point, but it would be fun to get Simon's take on it.

bruce boysen

Interesting. Does this mean that you feel Simon *IS*trying to imitate an anglo in some way?

Ooops - when I first read your post I read "even" instead of "never". Almost all the right letters in almost the completely wrong order - like my playing sometimes!

This means I completely agree with your post(s) :)