Jeffries Bros Concertina

I am interested in providing a very nice home for this concertina. I will take it out for tunes and love it lots. I would like to know what key it is in and what size it is across the flats. And what prices similar JD's have changed hands for recently.

Juanita should get at least that for it. More if there's several people interested.

Hi Nick,

I note that you've been after a Jeffries Duet for a while.

I bought one (identical to this, but slightly better condition - amazing!) earlier this year, for £1500.

By the way, thank you for the keyboard layout which I think that I found on your website.

Regards,

Peter.

I was the buyer of the very recent Jeffries Duet on eBay at £1950. Next highest bidder was £1850 so there's a market at that level. I seem to recall another duet on eBay a couple of months ago and my recollection is that it sold for over £2000 but my memory may be faulty here - I couldn't locate it when I did a search for completed items.

Don't yet know the condition but there will inevitably be some fixes to make in valves and pads.

The fret patterns appear significantly different between the duets, even in ones of apparently similar vintage. Some are like Juanita's with "vertical" patterns, some are more like a larger anglo which are more floral. Is there any significance in this? Any thoughts?

It looks like you got a bargain Peter! But they're all cheaper than anglos. If half the value of a concertina is in the reeds, then we've got a value equivalent to 1 and a half 30 key Jeffries which seem to go for £4000+!

Although the real value of any concertina is surely in the music they make - priceless

Alex

we've been trying to clarify the keyboard "numbers" that we've encounted.....mostly saying that the Jeffries Bros Duet concertina have 50 buttons (one article says that were some rare 49 button models made). Ours doesn't appear to match up with the ones we've viewed on the internet that have different configurations and layout of the buttons.

Our configuration is, as follows; on the right wide, where the maker ID is located, has 26 buttons grouped together and a lower 'thumb (?) button.........on the other side, are 23 buttons and another lower "thumb" button. We are also having trouble (we're non musicians....) identifying the key it's in. We held buttons down and the sound remains the same wether pulling or pushing the bellows in and out.

We'd love to see the insides of the concertina......but are reluctant to open it up as it might be difficult to put together once taken apart? We could photograph the "innards" and post those, too. Especially if someone can assure us that we won't ruin it by attempting the operation.........

I was also told that the description of this duet-concertina should be, "little wear and apparantly all original" with case.

Thanks for all the wonderful information and input I've received to my query........

Juanita Wolff

we've been trying to clarify the keyboard "numbers" that we've encounted.....mostly saying that the Jeffries Bros Duet concertina have 50 buttons (one article says that were some rare 49 button models made). Ours doesn't appear to match up with the ones we've viewed on the internet that have different configurations and layout of the buttons.

Dear Juanita,

The convention should be to include the left-hand drone button, but to exclude the right-hand air valve, making this a 50 key instrument. I would agree with your description of the condition.

Regards,

Peter.

It looks like you got a bargain Peter! But they're all cheaper than anglos. If half the value of a concertina is in the reeds, then we've got a value equivalent to 1 and a half 30 key Jeffries which seem to go for £4000+!

I saw the concertina Peter bought while it was still on Marcus' stand, and (speaking as someone who very nearly bought it) I think Peter got a sizeable bargain too.

I would say that, if the home key was C an appropriate price would be closer to £2000. I'm not sure for other keys. I've emailed Juanita with instructions on how to determine the home key (based on Nick's charts on my web site).

Chris

Edited to add PS: Her web site's worth looking at too.

Edited by Chris Timson

Yes, based in Manchester and London, playing at home and socially, no gigs for the time being.

Thinking of Juanita and her blue velvet box let me what types of music get played on mine - English country music, Broadway standards, Irish airs, Brazilian bossa nova, Spanish jotas, marches and waltzes, tango, hymns, Playford, Bach solo violin suites (very slowly and badly) - because of the fingering you can busk it like a piano keyboard, and in keys through from A to B flat.

By the way did we discover the home key of Juanita's Jeffries ? That's the major chord played by the second horizontal line of buttons on either hand.

Michael

Yes, based in Manchester and London, playing at home and socially, no gigs for the time being.

If you are in London on the first Monday of the month, there is always Alan Day's session at "The George" near London Bridge.

Regards,

Peter.

Juanita wolff,

bignick has sent you this email from

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php.

Hi Juanita!

I am Nick Robertshaw (bignick) and have been following, and responding

to, the thread that you started on Concertina.net.

I would like to offer you $3,750 for the instrument. (equivalent to the

2000 pounds the group seems to have settled on for a fair price).

If you want to let people know that you have this offer in hand, and

even that it's from me, that's OK. You might get a better one and, who

knows, a bidding war might ensue.

I live in Frederick, Maryland (although I am English) and I'm sure we

can contrive a way to conduct the transaction that we are both

comfortable with.

Good luck!

Nick