Arrangements With Harmony (anglo)

stevejay

And what is a tritone? (and how do you prononce it?)

You pronounce it "try-tone". It is the interval of three whole tones. Half an octave if you ignore some of the subtleties of tuning systems.

Also known as "The Devil's Interval". Look it up in wikipedia which will tell you more than you probably wanted to know.

Roger

Thanks.

One thing I've noticed over the years is that, while it's the jazz musician that is more 'into' chords than, say, the classical musician, both types of players have very valid 'systems' or whatever for using chords.

Bellowbelle,

You are absolutely right about this. I studied jazz at one university, and years later classical music at another. I had to go through the full set of theory classes in both schools. One day in a class at the classical school, the prof was going down the row changing notes in an imaginary four voice chord. He came to me, literally pointing his finger, and asked "And if the E changes to and E flat, how is the chord functioning?" I answered "As a flat-five substitute." His jaw dropped as if he had been slapped, and he finally managed to gasp, "That's Jazz Talk!!" And this guy is the local expert on 'modern' music!

It's also significant that you say that you have your own way to organize chord theory. I met a man once who denied seeing the keyboard layout for theory but explained a system of visualizing the circle of fifths as a huge screw with the notes lined up vertically, and shapes of chords as triangles or 4-point shapes touching note spots in the big corkscrew. It seemed to work for him.

OK, I return to lurk-mode since I know nothing yet about concertinas!

Ken