Obi's Boys, Back In The Saddle Again...

Mark Evans

Yup, back in the saddle again. We're all right grateful folks got short memories and forgivin' hearts. Blanchards Tavern in Avon, MA has asked us back for a Saturday evenin's entertainment on the 23rd of this month...as long as we promise to do "Up Against the Wall a Redneck Mother." If you've a mind, stop by an' see the dog an' pony show. We'll be the ones howlin.'

Then, the Cantab in Cambridge, MA has asked us to open for the Reunion Band on October 3rd. Lord have mercy the Bluegrass motherload club of record has lost it's collective mind. Well, if they're nutty enough to invite us, we sho' is deluded enough to except. Yee-haw! Didn't think concertina playin' could sink any lower? Well, you'd be wrong. If you find yourself in the dear city of Cambridge and don't mind the abomination of us doin' what we do ta bluegrass....stop on by. The sacrilege begins around 8:30.

Tom Healy, Mandolin

Mark Evans, English Concertina, Banjo and Vocals

Ed Munafo, Guitar and Vocals

Gary Fisher, Bass and Vocals

Obi's stayin' home 'cuz it's past his bedtime.

Edited by Mark Evans

• 2 weeks later...

Last nights' debut at the Cantab was a hands down success. In front of a severely bluegrass crowd (suprisingly more purist than anything I'd encountered in my former life down South) Obi's Boys wowed em' with a wide range of Celtic, bluegrass (banjo and concertina), old time and western swing.

Before the show we sat on a bench outside and warmed up. In music jaded Cambridge, folks don't take much notice of musicians playing outside of bars on Massachusetts Ave, but quite a few stopped and asked all sorts of questions about my concertina. One nice young lad even threw a little scratch in the mandolin players case after his inquiry :o . That gave us a good giggle.

Inside, every time I switched back to the box, smiles all over the room. I admit to being worried about that, for our regulars at Blanchards are ecclectic and see nothing odd about a concertina on Bill Monroe's "Can't you hear me callin'' and the Groton Bluegrass super-jammers are by and large folks who all know me. It was very encouraging to have a traditional audience accept and enjoy our funky little sideways take on what they rightly hold as a sacred relic handed down from one generation to another.

I had a very enjoyable evening (touched not a drop), although this morning has me feeling as if I pulled a rip-roarin' drunk into the wee hours:blink: . Ooh, best have a lie-down...

Edited by Mark Evans

Last nights' debut at the Cantab was a hands down success. In front of a severely bluegrass crowd (suprisingly more purist than anything I'd encountered in my former life down South) Obi's Boys wowed em' with a wide range of Celtic, bluegrass (banjo and concertina), old time and western swing.

Before the show we sat on a bench outside and warmed up. In music jaded Cambridge, folks don't take much notice of musicians playing outside of bars on Massachusetts Ave, but quite a few stopped and asked all sorts of questions about my concertina. One nice young lad even threw a little scratch in the mandolin players case after his inquiry :o . That gave us a good giggle.

Inside, every time I switched back to the box, smiles all over the room. I admit to being worried about that, for our regulars at Blanchards are ecclectic and see nothing odd about a concertina on Bill Monroe's "Can't you hear me callin'' and the Groton Bluegrass super-jammers are by and large folks who all know me. It was very encouraging to have a traditional audience accept and enjoy our funky little sideways take on what they rightly hold as a sacred relic handed down from one generation to another.

I had a very enjoyable evening (touched not a drop), although this morning has me feeling as if I pulled a rip-roarin' dunk into the wee hours:blink: . Ooh, best have a lie-down...

You certainly look mean, Mark! :D

Regards,

Peter.

• 2 months later...

Obi's Boys have been invited back to the Cantab. Obi grunted his approval on learning the news (it had nothing to do with me scratchin' his ears...honest). We'll be the opening act Tuesday, December 19th. Same time as before. If you're in town, stop on by.

• 2 weeks later...

We did it. I'm crashed in today. Me darlin' tells me I leave it all on the stage...indeed. However, three numbers before the end, I was runnin' on empty. Crowd had a good time as did we.

Advice:

#1 Avoid the "bog" at the Cantab :ph34r:

#2 Plan an escape route in case of fire. My choice in this overcrowded club last night was to use the bluegrass banjo to crash out the window behind the stage, grab up the Morse and as Monty Python's King Arthur would council "Run Away!"

I gettin' too old for this. A nice quite club where I can play acoustic only and perhaps a pint. Maybe just a park bench and a pint <_< . Ooh, me back and thumbs. Be a luv, an' bring ole Roly-Poly da' Motrin.

Edited by Mark Evans

• 4 weeks later...

Obi's Boys will be back at Blanchards Tavern this Saturday evening, 1/20/07 at 8:00 p.m. returning on 3/03/07.

The Cantab has asked us back to heap more abuse on their patrons Tuesday evening, 2/06/07. Luv ta see ya there!

My partner in Appalachian Travelers Banjoist Terry Thomas will join me with a stalwart group of Civil War reenactors for a program at Framingham State College Words and Music of the Civil War on Monday, 2/05/07 at 1:30 p.m. If you'd like to come, drop me an email and I'll see you are taken care of.

Edited by Mark Evans

• 4 weeks later...