An Expensive Instrument ?

Geoffrey Crabb

Although I find little time to explore concertina history and this may have been referred to before but whilst investigating the date of a pair of reed pans in my possession, I came across the following in the Wheatstone Production Ledger for October 1867 (C0154, Page 142):

'18301, 48 Ebony, Steel Reeds, Best gold fittings.'

Pencilled? faintly beside the entry is ‘£60’.

As the Sales Ledger for that period exists (C0153) I thought I would check if that could be correct. I am well aware that some fairly expensive instruments were made at times but this seemed exceptional for that period. On page 39 of this Ledger, it seems to confirm that 18301 was sold to Brisco (?) on the 25th October 1867 for £60.

Using the price converter, £60 (1867) equates to £26.000+ (2000) :o

Could this, relatively, be the most expensive concertina ever sold?

Who was Brisco?

Does 18301 still exist?

One for the History Buffs and others.

Geoff

I found a different conversion site from Wake Forest University and came up with £3,481.47 in today's money for the £60 of 1867 money.

The link to that site is <http://eh.net/hmit/ppowerbp/> . I found it under a google search for currency inflation converter, under a link for the value of old money.

While the £3500 is still a fair amount of money, it is a little more in line with today's inflated prices for good vintage instruments. I presume that there wasn't the shortage of instruments driving up the prices then, so the high cost represented the quality and high class apperance.

I may have some confusion in your price since I think the US convention for using commas and periods in indicating thousands vs. decimal fractions is different than the UK.

Dana

Hi Wes and Dana,

Thanks for your responses, usually I seem to 'kill off' topics.

Wes

Thanks for the info re: Brisco. You are probably right.

Interestingly 18301 does seem to be ‘startlingly’ expensive and way above anything else for the period. Even 18326 (55? Amboyna with gilt fittings) only sold for £23/2/0 and these were considered top of the range then.

Maybe Chidley used solid gold fittings, or ‘Brisco’ realised the proper worth of the instrument and offered a more realistic sum for the work and skill employed.

Dana

I used the converter here http://www.concertina.com/calculator/

I did find that perhaps the conversions were somewhat on the high side at this site generally but one uses and accepts what others offer as a service.

I checked on the site you suggested and agree with your computation but I feel that in comparison with the average wages that were drawn in the 1860’s and now that this second figure (£3500) still does not reflect an accurate figure.

I am not sure if you are referring to original vintage or modern built ‘vintage’ instruments when talking of inflated prices but when comparing prices of instruments then and now one really has to consider like for like i.e. new instruments of the same type, specification etc.

The cost of a new example of 18301, made in England by one man using the same proven methods today, I would suggest could be £6000 - £8000 representing upto 300 hours work.

As I don’t deal in used concertinas then I prefer not to comment on the values or prices of these instruments.

Regards

Geoff

Thanks for your responses, usually I seem to 'kill off' topics.

That's not really true, Geoff. Its just that you have such a wide breadth of knowledge that there isn't much anybody can add.

Dana:

I may have some confusion in your price since I think the US convention for using commas and periods in indicating thousands vs. decimal fractions is different than the UK.

I think we (US and UK) work the same way. The comma instead of a decimal point is a dastardly Euro invention.

These price comparisons are very difficult, but I'll go with Geoff - its above a years wages for an ordinary person around 1860/70, so something approaching £25,000 by todays averages. Its almost impossible to find anything to use to make these conversions - tomatoes, grapes, etc were way beyond the wages of ordinary people then, but now we can all afford to eat them. In the 1950s, a chicken was a luxury, a once a year at Xmas meal, but today about the cheapest thing you can buy. Wage levels give us a better comparison than most other things. I still work for peanuts, like they did :D

Edited by wes williams

I second Wes's appreciation of your thoughts Geoff. I find the relationship of wages and person hours required more useful, especially with Wess's comments regarding the price of fruit! We take a lot for granted these days. the production time puts it in more perspective.

For an instrument like the one you describe, I'd think the value would be quite high. It was much more than your average instrument.

Making a living in the modern world has changed the cost of a lot of things. Where I used to live in northern New Hampshire. What were considered good average wages there are only poverty level here in the Washington D.C. area. Is it fair to charge others for my choice of living area? If they want one of my instruments, I guess it would be, but when I see a worn insrument I might have paid $2500 in 1995 going for $6-7000 now, I feel a bit sad for those who can't even consider owning it now. As much of an improvement over the Stagis and Hohners that most of the new accordion reeded instruments are, The next step up is a steep one.

I know what work goes into making a good concertina. I know you don't learn the craft overnight. (unlike Geoff, I've only been at it 13 years ) I also feel like my goal is not just to make ends meet at home, but also to make sure that deserving kids and those who love the music get a decent chance at owning something better. Musicians like teachers generally are not a high paid lot. Do I get to value my work more than theirs? Or would my work be worth anything without them? I always feel like the real reward for the instrument maker is getting to hear the music.

These are just musings, not criticisms of any makers. I don't think any of the modern makers are gouging anyone, or doing anything more than wanting to be paid enough to eat reasonably often. It is more the price of the older instruments often half worn out that seem in danger of getting out of hand like the old Martin guitars that went sky high ($40,000 plus) When it became fashionable to own a "pre war Martin" Good guitars? most of them, can you buy better new ones for a lot less now? sure can.