Squeezebox Crossovers

I am curious about whether anyone has any thoughts about switching from one type of squeezebox to another. I remember reading that some players play different combinations of anglo, english, and duets and one or two players writing that they play both PAs and concertinas.

Specifically, though, I am thinking about transitions between anglos and other bisonoric squeezeboxes. For example, does playing an anglo lend to being able to play a button accordion? or is the difference between them apples and oranges (ie anglo:button accordion as anglo:piano accordion?)

Also, in regard to bandoneons, is there any similarity? Does anyone play both?

thanks,

Patrick

Patrick,

I play English concertina (19 years experience), C#/D accordion (5 years experience), and anglo concertina (3-1/2 weeks experience :D ), so I have some basis for a few observations:

• I saw little or no relationship between knowing how to play English and learning to play button accordion.
  • Button accordion is, by far, the hardest instrument I have ever attempted. (Yes, there have been other instruments that will go unmentioned here.)
  • Compared to button accordion, learning anglo doesn't seem that difficult (so far :D). And I think this is because the accordion has taught me (or my fingers, perhaps) to "think diatonically."
  • So I imagine there would be some transfer of skills in the other direction, i.e., playing anglo would likely be of value in learning button accordion.

Does that help?

I play english concertina (48 button Lachenal) and D/G melodeon (I've also got a D/A, but it plays much the same - only lower).

I play both for morris dancing (mainly). I find that I can switch relatively easily. I do, however, find it much easier to play from sheet music on the concertina, but I play by ear better on the melodeon.

One of these days I hope to get an anglo, and would also like to try a duet (and a bandoneon, and a chemnitzer....).

The top end of a Melodion is exactly identical to the right hand of an anglo ,it is therefore easy to swap instruments of this sort.I did try at one time to play a Jeffries Duet at the same time as an anglo,but gave up,it did force me however to play duet style on the anglo so it was not a complete waste of time.

Regards

Alan

Patrick,

I played piano accordion as a child and recently took it up again. I think the advantage is bellows control. Perhaps, you could stretch the point, and also mention finger placement on buttons without looking (for the left hand). What I mean is, you get used to figuring out where you are and moving back and forth to different buttons.

I have only toyed with playing button accordion. I would take Alan Day's advice that the top is the same as the right side of the anglo. I don't know this myself, but it sure makes me want to go back and dive in again.

Have lots of fun and pursue the instruments that grab you the most. You will probably find advantages once you get going.

Helen

• 3 weeks later...