A Grand Opening At The Music Room Ckekheaton. Uk

I am on the mailing list of the Music Room, Clekheaton, West Yorks. England.

To celebrate the opening of their new shop they are holding 9 days of musical events from 23rd September to 01st October. Amongst the usual guitar, fiddle and bodhran workshops there are some concertina related happenings.

26th & 28th Sept. 10 till 2. Gill Noppen-Spacie will advise on all aspects of concertina playing.

29th Sept. 6 pm. A beginers session for English concertina with Chantal Noppen. (Bring your own!!)

30th Sept. 11 till 3. Concertina surgery with Dave Elliot. - restoration & repair

30th Sept. 10.30. English concertina workshop with Chantal Noppen. - use of harmonies to enhance a tune.

30th Sept. Marcus Concertinas to demonstrate.

The Music Room is here - Music Room sadly their link onward to the days events is not working at the moment.

regards

Jake

I very much enjoyed my brief visit to the Music Room in Clekheaton two summers ago. Congrats on their new shop- is it in the same location as the old one?

It looks like a wonderful lineup of events!

The new shop is across the road (roughly) from the old one and is next to the main car park but off the road. It is much bigger than the old one. When I visited in July they had put all their concertina's in a cases that you could not access with out asking. I mentioned that this made the concertinas difficult to have a proper look at and they thanked me for the comment and said they would pass it on - as I only live 10 miles away and my sister actually lives in Cleckheaton I will be visiting again to see if I can get to the concertinas and sit for an hour and have a play like I used to at the old shop.

Hubby and I have tickets for a Spier and Bowden concert at the Indian restaurant in Cleckheaton (one of the events arranged to celebrate the shop opening) - great restaurant and Spier and Bowden - need I say more! :)

Hubby and I have tickets for a Spier and Bowden concert at the Indian restaurant in Cleckheaton

What a wondrously bizarre image! English music and song interspersed with the crunching of puppadoms and the sizzle of tikkas. Anne and I once did an English folk club night in a fish restaurant in Washington DC (apparently the nearest the organisers could get to the ambiance of an English pub in DC) but I think this is better!

Chris

I was talking to the Music room staff at Bromyard and it all looks very nice. Oddly we had been passing through Cleckheaton the previous weekend but didn't have time to stop.

I did a gig as half of a duo in Wells Cathedral cloisters some years ago. This is the location of the cathedral cafe and was being used for an annual dinner for the Wells Civic Society. The main problem with that was it was very long and narrow, so we performed from the middle.

Robin Madge

Hubby and I have tickets for a Spier and Bowden concert at the Indian restaurant in Cleckheaton

What a wondrously bizarre image! English music and song interspersed with the crunching of puppadoms and the sizzle of tikkas. Anne and I once did an English folk club night in a fish restaurant in Washington DC (apparently the nearest the organisers could get to the ambiance of an English pub in DC) but I think this is better!

Chris

Yes it does conjure up a rather bizarre image well that is until you find out that the curry and concert does not actually take place at the same time - shame I rather liked the idea of having dinner at the same time as listening to Spiers and Bowden. Apparently curry in one room and concert in another can't remember which comes first. The restaurant is huge and reputed to be the largest in the world - seats about 1,000 and thats with plenty of space - the building was originally a chapel so I am hoping for some wonderful acoustics.