Irish Music On An English 'tina.cd

mike delta

The latest on Madeline O'Dowd is that I spoke to her on the phone last night and sadly she has no recordings of herself playing at all.She is going to contact members of her family to see if they have any recordings ,but she doubts it.She did appear a few Months ago on a TV programme in Ireland and her music and playing was featured on that programme ,but these recordings are difficult to obtain and they are usually in copyright.

A sad ending to a good possibility.

I now have Geoff Wooff's Email address in France and I am following that up.

This has been a very difficult nut to crack.

Al

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A worthwhile effort Al. As an English player I thank you and in my book you've earned another star in yer crown for all the work on Anglo and now English International.

I wonder if some kind soul in Ireland might not arrange a vist with Madeline O'Dowd with even a mini-disc recorder and a good pair of microphones, just for a feild recording. Those little beasties can really reproduce some clean sound under the right circumstances.

Edited by Mark Evans

• 6 months later...

A new recording of Irish traditional music on an English concertina can be found Here. In my humble opinion, a very fine effort.

Denise is a local, and I know her and will go almost anywhere to hear her play, so that may inform my opinion a bit, but I've been listening to her CD daily for weeks. I recommend it.

Denise has also committed the Unpardonable Crime of playing IRTRAD brilliantly on hammered dulcimer. But that's for another thread.

Nicely done. Is it just the perspective, or is that one BIG concertina in her picture?

I downloaded the poster and zoomed in - it's still looks big - 8 sides (Aeola?) metal ends, 6 fold bellows, extra strap across wrist so maybe baritone ...

(Oh yes, and nice playing too ... some more or a longer snippet would be nice)

Edited by spindizzy

Nicely done. Is it just the perspective, or is that one BIG concertina in her picture?

It's big, she's tiny, and then there's the camera angle.

I believe that's her tenor/treble, but I haven't asked her.