Anglo Tuning For Morris

I don't understand why is it contradictory to play a G tune in C row, with chords played on G row?

And in fact, I never thought it was- I just had never figured out how my G row worked, so that way lay the epiphany of this NESI.

Another was learning from Jody Kruskal just how many variations and choices there are- we really don't have to stick to one system, or two keys- in fact, I'm enjoying discovering new keys. (G minor still takes some doing though! ;) )

I don't understand why is it contradictory to play a G tune in C row, with chords played on G row?

And in fact, I never thought it was- I just had never figured out how my G row worked, so that way lay the epiphany of this NESI.

Another was learning from Jody Kruskal just how many variations and choices there are- we really don't have to stick to one system, or two keys- in fact, I'm enjoying discovering new keys. (G minor still takes some doing though! ;) )

I made myself a chart of the chords. And I reworked them into threeads (?).

So it's like Cmaj/Fmaj/Gmaj and Cmin/Fmin/Gmaj7. For all keys. This way I am learning not oly where the notes are, but where the working chords are. The problem with my 20 button chromatized Anglo is the chords are jumping up and down the scale, so Bb is low octave and Cmin is in higher octave. So the chrods don't give me workable scales. Plus with Anglo some chords have omitted thirds, for example, because they are in opposite directions. The scales are possible, but the chords are not. But still, triads are useful excercize. May be I should add arpeggios to chords.

Anybody who has some extra bits of time, please send them to me.

I have been playing my C/G Edgley with a Morris side for about 8 months. I have a friend learning the concertina and I'm interested in peoples thoughts about the "best" tuning for playing Morris music on an Anglo. What are the advantages to say a G/D over the C/G? I look forward to your responses.

Thanks

Dave

I think you will find that the majority of morris concertinists play a G/D, in large part to make playing with G/D melodeons and fiddles easier. In my experience a lot of pennywhistlers play a D pipe as well for morris, though most will have a selection to hand.

Personally I'm a fan of G/D instruments, but I've always had a weakness for lower-pitched instruments and really enjoy that growling resonance of the lowest reeds. I also think a great deal of morris music is arranged to suit G/D instruments, so in some ways it's easier to develop that typical melody-right chords-left style.

That being said, unless you're playing in a group and thus need a particular instrument, I see no real reason to pick one instrument over another except for personal preference, financial means, and availability. On the CD Over the Water, Tom Kruskal plays about a dozen morris/english tunes on his C/G with a couple of string players and a drummer (one of the fiddlers is Jim Morrison). So really, even in a group you can make anything work if you want to.

-David

Personally I'm a fan of G/D instruments, but I've always had a weakness for lower-pitched instruments and really enjoy that growling resonance of the lowest reeds. I also think a great deal of morris music is arranged to suit G/D instruments, so in some ways it's easier to develop that typical melody-right chords-left style.

I haven't commented on this thread so far, because I have never played for Cotswold morris, only North West, and in our morris band environment my G/D anglo fits right in (personally I have never liked bands for Cotswold. Nothing beats the solo musician for Cotswold, IMHO, and so I am willing to bow to the wisdom of those who say that the C/G carries better). I just wanted to agree with your comment about lower pitched instruments. The C/G baritone makes a wonderful sound, and this weekend at the EATMT day I met a 20 button Lachenal C/G bass that sent me into paroxysms of covetousness. The lowest note was more throb than tone!

Chris