Hello everyone,

My name is Daniel and I'm a 19 year-old writer from Dallas. I recently purchased a Hohner D40 Concertina and am excited to learn it. I just had a couple of questions before I get started and I figured I might as well ask people who know wthat they are talking about.

1. Is the Hohner D40 an anglo or english concertina? How can I tell the difference?

2. What is the best way to learn to play? Find a local instructor, buy a book online, learn the notes and just tackle songs? Any recommendations there of?

3. Any other advice for a beginner?

Thanks for your time!

~Daniel

Hello everyone,

My name is Daniel and I'm a 19 year-old writer from Dallas. I recently purchased a Hohner D40 Concertina and am excited to learn it. I just had a couple of questions before I get started and I figured I might as well ask people who know wthat they are talking about.

1. Is the Hohner D40 an anglo or english concertina? How can I tell the difference?

2. What is the best way to learn to play? Find a local instructor, buy a book online, learn the notes and just tackle songs? Any recommendations there of?

3. Any other advice for a beginner?

Thanks for your time!

~Daniel

Daniel Hi

1.It's an Anglo. The three suggested websites will help with the information better than I can describe.

2. It depends on how well you learn; one might be good or all the above. I personally don't have the availability to find a local instructor so I myself just pick up the notes and tackle a tune. Others can listen to a tune and repeat it. I'm not that gifted. Everyone is different.

3. Enjoy it, and practice. Come here often. There is a lot of good information here. What type of music you want to play? Do you play music now? Etc. Etc.

A couple of great websites that will help keep your curiosity satisfied.

http://www.concertina.com/

http://www.concertina.net/

http://www.concertina.info/

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Hi and welcome.

The anglo is a great instrument for just launching into and seeing how far you get, but having said that there are a number of ways to play it, and your best choice of approach may be affected by the type of music you want to play. Do you have any preferences in that direction?

You've started on a long slippery slope that eventually leads to old gits like me with more concertinas than sense, but you'll have a lot of fun on the way!

Cheers,

Chris

I'd like to move in sort of an Irish-folky direction (if that is even applicable.) I listened to the man playing the concertina on youtube.com and I enjoyed what he played. I've also heard Yann Tiersen and I really enjoy how he uses the accordion (although it's not the concertina).

I'd like to move in sort of an Irish-folky direction (if that is even applicable.) I listened to the man playing the concertina on youtube.com and I enjoyed what he played. I've also heard Yann Tiersen and I really enjoy how he uses the accordion (although it's not the concertina).

Take a look and listen to this:

http://www.anglo-concertina.net/links.htm

Lots of various styles of what you could look forward to. Take your pick. Made by members of concertina.net. Just for another perspective.

Thanks

Leo

Hi Daniel,

Welcome. I can't really add to what the other Forum members have already posted, but do feel free to ask any questions which we can, collectively, answer. Some may have been asked by other new players, but someone will always point you towards the relevant discussion threads. We need to put our years of experience to good use.

Regards,

Peter.