Playing Both Jeffries & Wheatstone Layouts

I currently play a Wheatstone layout concertina. I like the Jeffries layout too, though I've never played one. I am thinking of ordering a concertina with Jeffries layout. I've searched the forum about this, but only found fairly general comments to the question of is it difficult to learn and play both layouts rather than stick with one layout only. Do many players do this? Will it result in more confusion trying to remember how to play in one system with one box and another system with the other box? Or, once learned, do both systems become 2nd nature...like going from driving an automatic to a standard transmission in different cars you might own simultaneously. If I do acquire a Jeffries, what tips does anyone have for the best way to learn and become proficient in both systems without confusing the two? A lot of questions. Therefore, appreciate any wisdom acquired through experience any of you might wish to share. Thanks.

I currently play a Wheatstone layout concertina. I like the Jeffries layout too, though I've never played one. I am thinking of ordering a concertina with Jeffries layout. I've searched the forum about this, but only found fairly general comments to the question of is it difficult to learn and play both layouts rather than stick with one layout only. Do many players do this? Will it result in more confusion trying to remember how to play in one system with one box and another system with the other box? Or, once learned, do both systems become 2nd nature...like going from driving an automatic to a standard transmission in different cars you might own simultaneously. If I do acquire a Jeffries, what tips does anyone have for the best way to learn and become proficient in both systems without confusing the two? A lot of questions. Therefore, appreciate any wisdom acquired through experience any of you might wish to share. Thanks.

practice both systems. it will seem impossible at first, but you'll get it. i used to practice jeffries on my wheatstone layout stagi; the notes sounded wrong, but i get my fingers down. it takes a bit of adjusting but so does everything. i play flute and whistle, which are close but have different c naturals and f sharps. i also play concertina, which like you has different everything within itself. stick with it, and you'll get it. its not going to be as hard to get used to as it was to learn c sharp (or all the concertina) in the first place.

For historical reasons I've ended up standardising on Wheatstone layout for my C/G boxes and Jeffries for my G/Ds. This works OK for me because I use the C/Gs for song accompaniment and the G/Ds for tunes (sessions, morris and the like). I think I marginally prefer the Jeffries layout, but there's not much in it - you can usually do what you want in either layout.

Chris

I own concertinas in both layouts and find that switching is pretty easy, though it was a bit of a challenge at first. For the most part it only takes a few moments of concentration to recalibrate my fingers when I switch, though there's some danger for the first minute or two that I'll forget and slip back to the prior system. It's less likely to be an issue if I take a short break between playing the two systems.

Hi Cary,

I play both Wheatstone (36 key C/G) and Jeffries (38 key B'/F).

What I find most difficult, and it really only takes a few minutes to adjust, is going from the Wheatstone to Jeffries, and using the "accidental" row. Because the spacing is different, and my Jeffries has the small buttons, I have to be careful that my fingers hit the buttons, and not the gaps between.

There are some significant differences in the placement of the "accidental" notes, and, if I use the same fingering on both boxes, I have to remember where these are on the Jeffries (I've played Wheatstone much longer).

As I posted, elsewhere, for more adventurous music, I think that the Jeffries keyboard layout is slightly better.

To play both is a nice challenge, and worth the effort.

Regards,

Peter.

It can't be any different to playing both English and Anglo - I never find myself trying to push-pull my English concertina.

Actually I would say that it is rather different than the English/Anglo transition simply because the English and Anglo systems are so different that it is hard to imagine that anyone could accidently slip between the systems. In contrast, the Jefferies and Wheatstone/Lachenal systems are similar enough (really only the right hand accidental row..) that I find if I am not careful I might hit a wrong button for the C#. In general I prefer the Jefferies system mainly because I like having the C# on two different buttons, but to each their own :).

--

Bill

Hello

I have a Wheatstone and a Jeffries. I've played the Wheatstone since I began playing concertina. I've always had the double C# on my first accidental on the right side and like it. I also like and utilize the pull low A on the first button of the left side G row.

I tried keeping my lovely jeffries as it was but I decided to have the notes changed (with solder) to be consistent with my Wheatstone. It's not a big change but it helps me.

It makes switching back and forth between the instruments effortless.

More importantly I wanted to keep my muscle memory and whatever neurological challenges as uncomplicated as possible and let me optimize my efforts towards optaining the ability to make music.

Perhaps I'm squeamish and silly?

Richard

Hello

More importantly I wanted to keep my muscle memory and whatever neurological challenges as uncomplicated as possible and let me optimize my efforts towards optaining the ability to make music.

Perhaps I'm squeamish and silly?

Richard

I don't think you are. Were I an AC player and in your bountiful situation, your solution would be an attractive one.

My experience indicates that muscle memory is key. I did not play concertina for close to twenty years. In 04' I ordered a new instrument and upon the happy day of completion, drove out to pick it up. As I held it in my hands, completely convinced I couldn't remember any of the notes my fingers went about their task and a fairly descent version of "Off to California" came bouncing out of my new box!

Seems to me you've done what's best for your mind n' muscle.

Bear in mind that many concertinas have notes in odd positions anyway. This is particularly true once you have more than the standard 30 buttons. So even if you learn "Wheatstone" or "Jeffries" layout, there's every chance that when you pick up another instrument in supposedly the same system, some of the notes won't be where you expect.

I've owned a number of concertinas over the years and none of them have been the same. All three of my current instruments, two from the same maker (albeit many years apart), have different layouts, although they are nominally all "Wheatstone".

It helps, particularly with a complicated tune, to decide which instrument you're going to play it on and stick with that.

I also play melodeon, usually standard D/G but I sometimes play club system, which has just one button which plays the same note in both directions. It's usually not a problem unless I try to play a difficult tune which I normally play on the other system, without preparation. But once I pick up the club, something in my mind clicks on and I go into "club" mode.

Same on guitar, I use different tunings but never get the fingerings confused between them.

I did have problems with whistle - I learned recorder at school and just can't make the mental adjustment, so I stick with the recorder.