Twilight Zone Jeffries?

frankdownes

Hello Everyone,

Did any of you spot this?

I don't know what to make of it other than someone's won the lottery (and I didn't win it).

Frank

Frank

Actually it doesnt show up in my ebay request for "worldwide" offerings. I live in the US. It looks like only one person bid on it, and perhaps another person asked him for a buy it now price that he accepted; maybe off EBay advert.; he accepted it and isn't telling anybody what the price is. I'm not sure either way.

This one doesn't show up either. It is listed as "new"; although the explaination mentions that she hasn't played it:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R-Morse-Co-37-button...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Now where have I seen this photo before........?

Paul Read posted in "Buy&Sell".

Regards,

Peter.

Coincidently??? the post by Mr. Read and the closing of the sale are so close to being the same time I might be of the mind he is the winner of the sale. I'd be that excited over a new acquisition.

Thanks

Leo

Yup,

Well spotted. I bought it after 6 minutes - just lucky timing. I'm looking forward to identifying it and starting the restoration process.

Paul

Congratulations!! I wish I was so lucky, persistent, etc., but if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. :)

Identification: It's an anglo concertina with metal ends. Can't go deeper than that; my identification skills are that lacking. :(

Good luck

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

[identification: It's an anglo concertina with metal ends. Can't go deeper than that; my identification skills are that lacking. :(

My guess, since it was bought in South Africa and doesn't look very Wheatstone-y, would be that it's likely a Crabb. Either way you'll get your 40 quid's worth out of it.

Chris

Yup,

Well spotted. I bought it after 6 minutes - just lucky timing. I'm looking forward to identifying it and starting the restoration process.

Amazing and enviable lucky timing. Doesn't look like a Jeffries at first glance - but I'm hesitant to hazard a guess as to what it could be. Either way Paul if you get a chance it would be interesting to get a glimpse of it's innards.

My guess, since it was bought in South Africa and doesn't look very Wheatstone-y, would be that it's likely a Crabb.

Nah mate, don't look Crabb-y at all, looks very Wheatstone-y if you arsk me. Like wot I already said :rolleyes: :

I'm wondering if it's a 50s Wheatstone with the figure 8 badges removed.
Paul,

The fretwork is much too nice for a 50s one, but it could well be a 30s Wheatstone.

Either way you'll get your 40 quid's worth out of it.

That's for sure, no matter what it's like inside! ;) (I was just fixing a South African one the other day that was made up from 4 different Wheatstones; the RH pan was from 1924, the LH from 1938, the metal ends and RH action board from 1954, and the bellows frames came from yet another 1938 instrument {from the same batch}, whilst the bellows & LH action board were made in South Africa! :blink: )

Edited by Stephen Chambers

(I was just fixing a South African one the other day that was made up from 4 different Wheatstones; the RH pan was from 1924, the LH from 1938, the metal ends and RH action board from 1954, whilst the bellows & LH action board were made in South Africa! :blink: )

So, when asked how old the instrument is, I guess that the answer is 82 (unless there's any older bits!).

Regards,

Peter.

My guess, since it was bought in South Africa and doesn't look very Wheatstone-y, would be that it's likely a Crabb.

Nah mate, don't look Crabb-y at all, looks very Wheatstone-y if you arsk me. Like wot I already said :rolleyes: :

I'm wondering if it's a 50s Wheatstone with the figure 8 badges removed.
Paul,

The fretwork is much too nice for a 50s one, but it could well be a 30s Wheatstone.

Either way you'll get your 40 quid's worth out of it.

When it arrives I'll post photos or report on the innards. I tend towards Stephen's assessment because the shape of the plate where the maker label has been removed looks like the later Wheatstone 'figure 8' badge would fit well. I can always hope it's a Jeffries though..............................

(I was just fixing a South African one the other day that was made up from 4 different Wheatstones; the RH pan was from 1924, the LH from 1938, the metal ends and RH action board from 1954, and the bellows frames came from yet another 1938 instrument {from the same batch}, whilst the bellows & LH action board were made in South Africa! :blink: )
So, when asked how old the instrument is, I guess that the answer is 82 (unless there's any older bits!).

Peter,

Well it was rebuilt in South Africa on 1.9.89, so I guess you could say that it was 84, 66, 52 and also 15, all at one and the same time! :huh: :unsure: :o :blink:

(Mind you, there are days when I feel like that too! :rolleyes: )

Edited by Stephen Chambers

(I was just fixing a South African one the other day that was made up from 4 different Wheatstones; the RH pan was from 1924, the LH from 1938, the metal ends and RH action board from 1954, and the bellows frames came from yet another 1938 instrument {from the same batch}, whilst the bellows & LH action board were made in South Africa! :blink: )
Well it was rebuilt in South Africa on 1.9.89, so I guess you could say that it was 84, 66, 52 and also 15, all at one and the same time! :huh: :unsure: :o :blink:

Uh oh! It seems this might have implications for humans, as well. E.g., if a 60-year-old gets a new heart, transplanted from a 20-year-old, is (s)he still simply 60 years old? Should (s)he celebrate separate birthdays for the heart? :unsure:

Uh oh! It seems this might have implications for humans, as well. E.g., if a 60-year-old gets a new heart, transplanted from a 20-year-old, is (s)he still simply 60 years old? Should (s)he celebrate separate birthdays for the heart? :unsure:

Jim,

Heart transplants are one story (and a far more beneficial South African gift to the world), but I'm talking more like "Frankenstein's monster" here! :huh: :blink: :o