La Rochelle Est Arrivee

does it do?
Well?!!! Tell us all about it! Please :D
Well?!!! Tell us all about it! Please :D
And...............???????????????????????

Just building up the suspense :lol:

Well it comes with the tutor book which looks decent enough, and a nice soft case which looks good - though not as heavily padded as I would have preferred.

I was surprised that the Rochelle itself, while obviously being related to the Chinese 30b boxes (of which I own a decent example) and bearing some resemblance at a distance, has very little in common with it's cheaper cousins. The ends look similar, but the buttons are smaller and better placed, straps good quality, the handrest is in a different position, and the bellows seem sturdier. It definitely looks a more expensive Concertina.

With the straps, I have reasonably large hands and I had a problem in that at maximum extension they were still a bit tight. I contacted Wim at Concertina Connection and he told me that there has been a problem with the straps which is being rectified, but that they decided to ship the Concertinas as this is likely to impact on only a small number of people. If you have this problem contact Wim and he's said that he'll send the longer straps to anyone who needs them once they get them in stock. In the interim I've found (at Wim's suggestion) that adding a short loop of string to the end of each strap as a temporary extension gets around this problem very well.

I also had a problem when it first arrived of a slight buzzing sound from a couple of notes - probably more due to the not so gentle handling of the shipping company. I thought I'd play the Rochelle for a bit to see if this sorted it out, and after about and hour or two of playing there's no longer any problem.

As for how well sealed it is - leaks etc., I tried the old "hold it by one strap and see how long it takes to expand" test - not something I really like doing but I thought it might provide a useful comparison. My Chinese box (which, as I've said, really is a decent example of this type) takes about 35 sec to expand alomost completely - the Rochelle took well over a minute.

Now as for what it's like to play - well I'm liking it more and more as I go along. The buttons feel good - exactly where they should be (which is a definte change from the Chinese boxes!) - and they action is positive and responsive - very nice. The reeds have the same quite sweet sound as the Chinese boxes (less harsh than the Stagis I've tried) but the volume is far more even across the instrument. A quick check with a tuner shows that the instrument's in tune - which is nice ;)

Overall I'm extremely pleased with the Rochelle and I look forward to lots of playing over the next few years. <IMHO> Very good value for money.

- W

Edited by Woody

Can I temp you (with the offer of a pint) to bring it along to the Bradford on Avon session one night?

Chris

If you do and it is found a pleasurable experience, you may even tempt him as a permanent visitor. :)

- John

Can I temp you (with the offer of a pint) to bring it along to the Bradford on Avon session one night?

Chris

If you do and it is found a pleasurable experience, you may even tempt him as a permanent visitor. :)

- John

I have to say being temped with a pint does sound like you might want it back later :(

I have to say being temped with a pint does sound like you might want it back later :(

To save further speculation I should explain I have a memory-resident application installed on my computer by the name of typo.exe, the purpose of which is to spice up any text I may type in a random but hopefully creative way (people who hear me play may suspect that I have a similar background process running in my brain :( ).

Chris

To save further speculation I should explain I have a memory-resident application installed on my computer by the name of typo.exe, the purpose of which is to spice up any text I may type in a random but hopefully creative way (people who hear me play may suspect that I have a similar background process running in my brain :( ).

I guess that this is how we identify the REAL Chris Timson! :D

Regards,

Peter.

I guess that this is how we identify the REAL Chris Timson! :D

Regards,

Peter.

Or the real Tris Chimson