More Concertinas Than I Need

I'm probably not alone in accumulating concertinas. I've only been playing EC about 5 years, but I've had 5 concertinas, and actually still possess three of them. I started out with a relatively inexpensive 1950's Wheatstone, sold that, got a old Lachenal Excelsior, sold that, got a Morse treble, then a Geuns baritone.

The Morse came while getting a repair on the Lachenal at the Button Box. I really liked the action of the Morse, and ended up getting it. A year or so passed and I ordered the baritone - some tunes just sound cool on a baritone. While getting a minor repair on the baritone, I started noodling around on a Lachenal Edeophone they had and fell in love with it. After getting my repair done, I drove away and called my wife about the wonderful concertina I just played. And surprisingly, she said if it is that great, go get it. So I turned around and went back to get the Edeophone.

I'm now going through all my stuff at home to see what I can sell to pay for this instrument. I am selling my accordion, no time to play it anymore. Along with some little used woodworking equipment, some books, etc. etc. Obviously, the easiest solution (and easiest to explain to family members that don't share my concertina interests, shall we say) I could sell one of the other concertinas, but they each fit into little niches - the Morse has accordion reeds, and stands out a bit more when playing in a group, the baritone give me another range and is perfect to accompany my friend on treble, the edeophone is nice for solo performance ...

Anyone else ever put themselves into this fix? Overextended on concertinas, selling stuff to pay for their habit, and a spouse that just can't undertstand why anyone would want more than one concertina? I tell her I could have worse habits. And I should probably stop trying out other concertinas while having repairs done. ;)

Anyone else ever put themselves into this fix? Overextended on concertinas, selling stuff to pay for their habit, and a spouse that just can't undertstand why anyone

Oh yes, I feel your pain, but you should know it's worse for Anglo players.

You get a C/G, but then need a backup in case your first is in the shop.

You get a G/d, really like it, but still need the C/G to play in C, but you also need a backup G/D; don't want to get caught at a Morris ale with a busted box.

You see how much fun the G/D is, so you want a D/A. Of course, you'll need a backup for that, as well.

You want a strident, loud box for playing Morris, but something more subtle for other types of playing.

This is all very good news for the Edgleys, Tedrows, Morses and the purveyors of more expensive instruments, all of whom are benefitting greatly from the growing poverty of the rest of us.

Fortunately my partner also plays concertina, so she understands. However the situation has got so bad that I have adopted a policy of one-in one-out. So, because I am buying Paul Reed's 40 button C/G you will soon see my 30 button C/G on sale. Promise!

Chris

I'm probably not alone in accumulating concertinas. I've only been playing EC about 5 years, but I've had 5 concertinas, and actually still possess three of them.

Let's see. I've been playing since 2003. My fourth EC is on its way, so is the ususal accumulation about one per year? One of the nice things about concertinas is that there is such variety within a single kind of instrument. Good thing I've decided to stick to one system (so far).

Fortunately Irish players don't feel quite the urge to get different tunings for their concertinas... I mean yes it is nice to have a C#/G# for those sessions where they tune up a half step, or a lowered tuned box (A/E, Bb/F or even G/D) for playing solo.. but by an large those are not essentials if your local session plays in the standard keys. Still, there is nothing worse than trying someone else's Dipper or Suttner when you don't have one of your own.. oh the bank account is draining.. :).

--

Bill

My fourth EC is on its way, so is the ususal accumulation about one per year? One of the nice things about concertinas is that there is such variety within a single kind of instrument. Good thing I've decided to stick to one system (so far).

I just KNOW I'm going to be somewhere like the Squeeze-In or the Button Box and find some reason that maybe one more concertina will fit into the group I already have, fill that little niche for playing duets and trios as opposed to groups of four or more ...

I've thought about learning another system but have resisted thus far - my employment keeps getting in the way of practice time as it is, another system would put me over the edge!

I'm probably not alone in accumulating concertinas ...

Jay,

If it's of any comfort to you, you are not alone ... :(

Anyone else ever put themselves into this fix? Overextended on concertinas, selling stuff to pay for their habit, and a spouse that just can't undertstand why anyone would want more than one concertina?

The condition even has a name: COAD (Concertina Obsessive Acquisition Disorder) and has been discussed here previously. ;)

I can assure you that it gets a whole lot worse if you play more than one system!
And if you play melodeon too. :rolleyes:

Malcolm,

Don't mention it! :(

I even bought yet another one today :rolleyes: off eBay, all the way from Charlton, Victoria:

Spaethe.jpg

Though it does have "concertina-style" reeds! (The reeds are not mounted like a normal accordeon, but are secured by a sliding fit with no wax. The reeds are held to their blocks like a concertina's reeds are.):

Spaethereeds.jpg

Look's like it was probably made by Spaethe? :unsure:

Jay,

Anyone else ever put themselves into this fix? Overextended on concertinas, selling stuff to pay for their habit, and a spouse that just can't undertstand why anyone would want more than one concertina?

The condition even has a name: COAD (Concertina Obsessive Acquisition Disorder) and has been discussed here previously. ;)

Yes it does, and unforturtunately, the disease is still spreading. I am sad to report that no one has conquored it yet as none have accepted my generous offer to take their excess concertinas off their hands.

I mean really people, admitting you have a problem is only the first step, not the final step :).

--

Bill

Jay,

Yes it does, and unforturtunately, the disease is still spreading. I am sad to report that no one has conquored it yet as none have accepted my generous offer to take their excess concertinas off their hands.

I mean really people, admitting you have a problem is only the first step, not the final step :).

--

Bill

Hi, my name is Rhomylly. I have COAD.

Everyone, now: "Hi, Rhomylly!"

I admit that I am powerless to stop buying concertinas!

I even bought yet another one today :rolleyes: off eBay, all the way from Charlton, Victoria:

Though it does have "concertina-style" reeds! (The reeds are not mounted like a normal accordeon, but are secured by a sliding fit with no wax. The reeds are held to their blocks like a concertina's reeds are.):

Look's like it was probably made by Spaethe? :unsure:

Had one of these once before, but with several broken and missing reeds. Replacement was a problem as I recall, so I didn't bid on this one. Good luck with it and enjoy!

MC