A Concertina Encounter In Seattle!

I live in the Methow Valley, east slope of the Cascades in the town of Twisp. Mostly bluegrassers over this way, gets kind of lonesome, would love to connect with some like minded folks. I started to organize a 'Northwest Squeezefest' some years ago, but circumstances required that I abandon the project, and I have not had the time to make another attempt. Since there are a good sized group here in the Northwest, we should make an attempt to get together, no matter how informally. Cheers.......Forrest <:{!!!!!}:>

Forrest,

If you can wait until late February/early March, one cure for your loneliness would be the 2007 Friday Harbor Irish Music Camp on San Juan Island, timed to coincide with UW's spring break. It has been well organized and good fun in the past. You can check out their site at http://www.fridayharborirish.com/

Cheers,

Molly

-Animaterra-Your "Young James Plunkett" and the "Lamentation.." posted are played superbly. Very nice!

-Hoping to add myself to Puget Sound squeezers soon and trying to align

finance, availability, and quality for a purchase. A tip for Pike Market playing: The west central stairwell has great natural echo but much less foot traffic than the rest of the market, nice for no-power amplification which carries through the market.

Best,

Brian

Edited by pubpersona

• 1 year later...

so it seems that there are several concertina players around puget sound. how many of us are there? i know there are at least two in Olympia other than myself.

I know of two on Bainbridge Island, five in the close Seattle area, and of ........................

Bruce

---

I live in the Methow Valley, east slope of the Cascades in the town of Twisp. Mostly bluegrassers over this way, gets kind of lonesome, would love to connect with some like minded folks. I started to organize a 'Northwest Squeezefest' some years ago, but circumstances required that I abandon the project, and I have not had the time to make another attempt. Since there are a good sized group here in the Northwest, we should make an attempt to get together, no matter how informally. Cheers.......Forrest <:{!!!!!}:>

Bump!

Hullo, add another, and another, in Victoria, BC. Rod, who posted earlier in this thread is not able to play, more on that soon, however there are quite a number on the Island (VI). Many play for Morris however one fellow, Eric Oscar is also into Bandoneons and such with a wide range of music. Be neat to see something other than the oft advertised PA (piano accordion) squeeze in. I have several melodeon/button accordion friends who would be interested.

I ran across this a while back, a Frappr Map of Concertina players http://www.frappr.com/concertinaplayers

I'd say organise something and they will come. Don't really need much space and needn't be fancy.

Some folks could meet up at NW Folklife in a few weeks. There's a shanty sing night on both Saturday and Sunday, off-site, as well. http://nwfolklife.org/P_F/festival.html

As far as Methow goes, I'm sure Hank Cramer and friend Brian M. would be up for some non-bluegrass stuff, though neither play free reeds.

Cheers, John

-aka 'JD' in Victoria, BC., awaiting the post.

I spent a very pleasant week in Seattle myself, at the beginning of April. Went to Pike Place Market (of course!), looked into Shark in the Morning, bought some Market Tea. Rode the carousel horses on one of the piers. Took the Ferry out to Vashon (where my girlfriend's brother lives - and she might yet be living herself) and spent the night there, saw the Saturday lunchtime bluegrass session. Looked around a few antiques arcades, and Dusty Strings.

Drove out to Duvall to have a barbecue with Dave Weinstein, and later I was in Spokane to see Wim Wakker and John Sylte - thanks for the hospitality guys!

And all the time I was carrying Alf Edwards' concertina around with me, in my day bag - I think it enjoyed the trip too... :unsure:

I know of two on Bainbridge Island, five in the close Seattle area, and of ........................

Bruce

Hi there. I am in Rathdrum Idaho, not too far from Spokane. I play lots of irish (anglo) and old time tunes. Feel free to ring me up for tunes sometime...

Allison,

I'm doing OK, but haven't been home much lately. I spent almost all of the last 11 months working in the Phoenix area and commuting home to Seattle on weekends. Spending four nights a week in a hotel wasn't conducive to spending much time playing concertina, though I did develop a satisfactory travel-with-a-concertina routine and learned to play far softer than I ever had before.

The good news is that I finished up that job last week and came back to Seattle thinking in terms of a long summer at home. The bad news is that I was called at the start of this week and they want me to come back again. Nothing's decided yet but I suspect I'll be shuttling off to Phoenix again soon.

Regardless, I should be home on weekends even if I do go back to Phoenix, so if you make it out his way and plan to be here over a weekend let me know and we'll work out a time to get together again.

Reviewing this posting series reminds me that I need to make a post in the general section regarding plans for another Seattle Concertina Gathering. We had one two years ago, but since I was busy out of town last year we didn't repeat the event. Looks like we will have one this year though. It's not the scope and scale of your east coast affairs, but we hope to get 20 people or more to turn out for a long afternoon and evening of shared time dedicated to our favorite instruments.

Hope that things get favorable for you to make another visit out this way.

Bruce