Case For Travel

Leo

All:

If anyone contemplates shipping an expensive concertina for personal travel, I would forgo the available ones suggested by the instrument manufactures. I believe they are mostly for esthetics, and used more as a gig bag, and not built for the riggors of being bounced around an aircraft cargo hold. I have three of these used for holding my telescope eyepieces, and one night after cleanup, I forgot it was behind my truck and I ran over it. My collection of TeleVue Eyepieces were undamaged ($2500 worth) in one case. They can be built to order and I think a good one can be had for a guess of about $100 range. (Guess based on my briefcase sized ones at $98 each). I think they are well worth the effort to consider seriously, since they are made to order and sized to almost any specification, including padding and color. For a price computer generated graphics on the outside would be awesome (embedded in the case material). Maybe we can get permission to use the Net Logo. These comply with ATA specifications for reuseable shipping containers on airplanes, and they don't look too bad. Just because it's labled flight case doesn't make it suitable.

http://www.anvilcase.com/

I believe Woody had another suggestion in another post, but I can't find it.

Just another suggestion

Thanks

Leo

.........I believe Woody had another suggestion in another post, but I can't find it.

Hi Leo,

all I mentioned was this site where a chamber orchestra had got soft padded cases (called "Blobbys") to go over their hard shell flight cases for Cellos. A hard case by itself is not much use if it doesn't have the ability to absorb shocks that would otherwise be transmitted to the instrument inside - essentially you need lots of foam packing (or similar) round your instrument. Most hard cases that I've seen don't have nice shock absorbing foam to hold the instrument in place.

I think that with a high quality case like the one you mentioned you could achieve the same effect as the "Blobby" if you then put it in a suitcase or rucksack with foam (or clothes maybe?) packed all around the instrument case.

I think that you've got to assume that the Concertina is going to be dropped, thrown, hit and driven over :) - so a very tough case with good padding on the inside and as much extra padding on the outside as possible has got to be the way to go.

Of course once you've made it almost unbreakable they'll probably lose it :o

- W

John: didn't know about them. How well do they stand up to abuse? They look nice and say they are in the style of ATA cases, but do they meet the specs, or is it only appearances? There is a difference. Do they lock? etc. Their ATA says Air Traffic Association, a company I'm not familiar with. It might be a different ATA.

Thanks

Hi Leo,

... this site where a chamber orchestra had got soft padded cases (called "Blobbys") to go over their hard shell flight cases for Cellos. A hard case by itself is not much use if it doesn't have the ability to absorb shocks that would otherwise be transmitted to the instrument inside - essentially you need lots of foam packing (or similar) round your instrument. Most hard cases that I've seen don't have nice shock absorbing foam to hold the instrument in place.

I think that with a high quality case like the one you mentioned you could achieve the same effect as the "Blobby" if you then put it in a suitcase or rucksack with foam (or clothes maybe?) packed all around the instrument case.

I think that you've got to assume that the Concertina is going to be dropped, thrown, hit and driven over :) - so a very tough case with good padding on the inside and as much extra padding on the outside as possible has got to be the way to go.

Of course once you've made it almost unbreakable they'll probably lose it :o

- W

Woody:

Yes that's the one I couldn't find. Thanks

This particular company does have the padding on the inside (lots), The instrument is suspended in an absorbing foam, not blocks of wood (nothing to transmit the shock). The proof of their concept is outlined in their ATA specification page (Air Transport Association). These boxes are used to transport fragile aircraft instruments, and test equipment. They are also a military supplier for their own delicate needs. I suspect our concertinas are at least marginally more robust. Their music page has a few pictures of examples. By design the style would be more akin to a motorcycle helmet. Hardshell outside, and nothing to catch on, lots of shock absorbing on the inside. My skull is kind of thick in spots, but not above damage. I like the idea.

I'm not campaigning that they are the only way to go, however, I have run over one with a truck and am a fan first hand of their ability to withstand abuse.

Maybe a tracking chip with satellite link embeded in the foam to ensure against loss would be out of line. Maybe too expensive??

Again an alternative not seen here before and under our current travel circumstances it might be worhwhile looking over a few options.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Did you say telescope eyepieces, Leo? You know, we should talk...two concertina-playing astronomers in western Pennsylvania. Maybe I've been walking right past you at star parties? (I don't see well in the dark!)

Ken

Did you say telescope eyepieces, Leo? You know, we should talk...two concertina-playing astronomers in western Pennsylvania. Maybe I've been walking right past you at star parties? (I don't see well in the dark!)

Ken

Yup like planets 'n Messier Objects. It's just as well; I'm not much to look at. I'm an almost concertina player wannabe. I'm concentrating real hard at concertina hornpipe, sheffield hornpipe, and aroving. Every time I play they come out different. A personal failing, but practicing, for a while my son says now at least they are recognisable sometimes.

Thanks

Leo :D :D

Edited by Leo

You know, we should talk...two concertina-playing astronomers in western Pennsylvania.
Yup like planets 'n Messier Objects.

So what do you guys have to say about the status of Pluto? :unsure:

Jim

Pretty far out. She ain't what she used to be. It's an amazing shrinking planet. Maybe soon downgraded to an asteroid. Apparently when it was discovered, they thought it was at least the size of the earth. In the 70's measurements found it was smaller than the earth. Now another object was found larger than pluto and they labled it planet with a question mark??? So the discussion continues.

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/141961

The discussions here are nothing compared to the large scale opinions going on in those forums. At least they have planetary implications. ;)

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

John: didn't know about them. How well do they stand up to abuse? They look nice and say they are in the style of ATA cases, but do they meet the specs, or is it only appearances? There is a difference. Do they lock? etc. Their ATA says Air Traffic Association, a company I'm not familiar with. It might be a different ATA.

I have a Fallon case; there was an option to order a fitted case with my Edgley concertina, and he works with Fallon. It's a good case, very solid - sometimes I sit on it when I practice. Kind of heavy - I carried it around Ireland for a summer, and the box plus case weigh at least ten pounds. The latch is strong but it is NOT lockable, which I found slightly disappointing.

This particular company does have the padding on the inside (lots), The instrument is suspended in an absorbing foam, not blocks of wood (nothing to transmit the shock). The proof of their concept is outlined in their ATA specification page (Air Transport Association). These boxes are used to transport fragile aircraft instruments, and test equipment. They are also a military supplier for their own delicate needs. I suspect our concertinas are at least marginally more robust.....

The biggest problem I have with this type of case - particularly in hold baggage - is that is says "Hey I've got something worth spending a reasonable amount of money to protect - it might be worth stealing". Maybe you could get a custom cover to go over and make it look like junk? Or maybe we just need to get you to drive over some a few times? B)

Maybe a tracking chip with satellite link embeded in the foam to ensure against loss would be out of line. Maybe too expensive??

Nice idea. I had the same thought, though I wonder if it would be allowed due to possible interference with aircraft systems on takeoff and landing?

I have a Fallon case..... The latch is strong but it is NOT lockable, which I found slightly disappointing.

I think there are issues with locking luggage anyway. I did though find this site which discusses a type of lock for air baggage which UK and US authorities have master keys to unlock should they need to look inside. For more on these enter the following search term in Google.... tsa locks

- W

.......... Or maybe we just need to get you to drive over some a few times? B)

Nice idea. I had the same thought, though I wonder if it would be allowed due to possible interference with aircraft systems on takeoff and landing?

- W

Woody

I'm willing and able to do that. I've got experience in that area. :rolleyes:

The time it take to transition from unintentional to intentional is small, and I'm willing to sacrifice some time to practice and perfect the procedure.

Chips: I'm sure it wouldn't hurt a thing; after all there is a campaign to put them in pets that travel, and I'm sure that they're effective.

There are two companies that I know of that sell "TSA" approved locks, of which the one you mentioned is one. In the States they are allowed to break anything to get inside to look around. I believe they have a master key that allows them to open them, but like any large group of people, chances are there are the few that have a less than stellar reputation in the honesty area.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

.......... Or maybe we just need to get you to drive over some a few times? B)

Woody

I'm willing and able to do that. I've got experience in that area. :rolleyes:

The time it take to transition from unintentional to intentional is small, and I'm willing to sacrifice some time to practice and perfect the procedure.

You're a remarkably public spirited person :D

You're a remarkably public spirited person :D

Generally the spirit is willing............................................ (in spirit only) :lol:

but not mean spirited, but if you'd be willing to donate the hardware............. :o

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

..........if you'd be willing to donate the hardware............. :o

Hang on - let me give it some serious thought.... um.... hmmmm..... well.......... ah...... nope! I don't think so, but thanks for the kind offer :P

• 2 weeks later...

Blatant thread drift, shamelessly continued (:D):

You know, we should talk...two concertina-playing astronomers in western Pennsylvania.
Pretty far out. She ain't what she used to be.

From a news article:

British composer Gustav Holst created the popular symphonic suite "The Planets" in 1916 and steadfastly refused to revise the suite after Pluto's discovery. Thursday, his decision was bestowed added credence by the IAU.

"The Planets" is one of the most popular pieces in symphony orchestra repertoire and has been fodder for legions of film scores.

Anybody here play Holst on the concertina? :unsure:

a chamber orchestra had got soft padded cases (called "Blobbys") to go over their hard shell flight cases for Cellos.
For those who only travel occasionally, an oversized cardboard box with padding to contain a good hard shell case would also work, and might not look worth stealing.
I think these discussions about "Pluto being downgraded" are ridiculous. Nobody's doing anything to Pluto at all. It's just that the technical definition of "Planet" as used by astronomers is being narrowed and it will no longer apply to Pluto.

What I really want to know is, if Pluto is a dog:

pluto_portrait.jpg

Then what is Goofy?

goofy_portrait.jpg

Anybody here play Holst on the concertina? :unsure:
I've always been partial to "Mars". Maybe I'll work on that one.

Yup like planets 'n Messier Objects.

OK - it's definite ... there are now only 8 planets ... the IAU hath spoke!

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060828.html

Chris (at Jodrell Bank Observatoy)